Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewards stopping people parking, What law & power do they have?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I drive to games as my old man doesnt like getting the train or Bus and have been parking in a country lane up the A27, approx 25 min walk from car to ground.

Now it's very quiet, doesnt block driveways, doesnt hold up traffic, isnt on yellow lines and is way away from anything of relevance.

There is a cluster of other cars that park there aswell.

Now for the Hull game there were 2 car loads of Stewards up the lane, they were telling people they couldnt park there, I had a slight altercation with a couple of them and an argument came about.

Now what powers do they have? Can they stop me parking there?

What powers do I have and where does it all stand legally as I personally think its crazy, blocking people's driveways in coldean is an issue, but a quiet country lane is getting out of control for me.

Advice?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I drive to games as my old man doesnt like getting the train or Bus and have been parking in a country lane up the A27, approx 25 min walk from car to ground.

Now it's very quiet, doesnt block driveways, doesnt hold up traffic, isnt on yellow lines and is way away from anything of relevance.

There is a cluster of other cars that park there aswell.

Now for the Hull game there were 2 car loads of Stewards up the lane, they were telling people they couldnt park there, I had a slight altercation with a couple of them and an argument came about.

Now what powers do they have? Can they stop me parking there?

What powers do I have and where does it all stand legally as I personally think its crazy, blocking people's driveways in coldean is an issue, but a quiet country lane is getting out of control for me.

Advice?

The stewards have no more right to ask you not to park somewhere than I do - ignore them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't even think they can legally stop you parkig in the centre of Falmer. But that's not the point. I don't think it's good for our club if we all park where we're asked not to.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
The stewards have no more right to ask you not to park somewhere than I do - ignore them.

Is that right? They were spouting off that they can get the police involved, alert ground staff to not allow me in e.t.c.

I didnt think they had any powers but I didnt want to risk it without knowledge first.

If it was blocking someones actual house, then I wouldnt do it, but when its not harming anyone...I personally feel agrieved by it and it's OTT.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I don't even think they can legally stop you parkig in the centre of Falmer. But that's not the point. I don't think it's good for our club if we all park where we're asked not to.

Yeah but thats understandable in the village, but its a different thing entirely when its 25 mins up the road and half way to the Kingston roundabout.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
The council is responsible for parking restrictions on public land, and if there are any, they need to be clearly sign-posted according to the law. Otherwise you can challenge any parking penalty in court.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The club do seem to encourage their staff to mislead the public on occassion. In Falmer village there are legal notices informing people of the parking restrictions, fair enough, but you also get stewards misinforming fans that they cannot use the footbridge, which is bo**ocks.

I would suggest looking for parking notices on trees or lamposts etc etc. Also you could ask our football liason officer, and/or the club for clarification.

PS Where is this spot? PM me?

Sent from my wardrobe whilst watching Susannah Reid and Sian Williams enjoy a clam sandwich.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Is that right? They were spouting off that they can get the police involved, alert ground staff to not allow me in e.t.c.

I didnt think they had any powers but I didnt want to risk it without knowledge first.

If it was blocking someones actual house, then I wouldnt do it, but when its not harming anyone...I personally feel agrieved by it and it's OTT.

I'd report it to the club then. They could only get the police involved if you kicked off. Just park and if they challenge you politely tell them they have no power to prevent you parking there. They really have NO power to prevent you doing so - indeed the only place they hold any "power" is actually on the stadium site.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if its private and they are there on behalf of the land owner, then they can stop you with reasonable force (lets not debate that eh). if they are working for the club, rather than than the land owner, then bugger all. if its public, then absolutly bugger all.

chances are the land owner has asked the club to prevent parking, so in effect they are working on behalf of the landowner. what power they have without direct connection to the land owner is probably murky.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Im not sure it is Private, it's a little through road. I guess I need to see what signage there is on the lane.

Is there a website or a way to find out?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What's with all this 'I know my rights crap'. Not sure but wasn't the parking arrangements part of the planning permission for the ground and isn't part of the terms and conditions of the season tickets something along the lines of complying with the club's parking policy. Breach it and then maybe the club will cancel your season ticket. Perhaps worth checking out as although you might not get a parking ticket, you might find you no longer need to park there in the future anyway!!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

All total bollox they have no power at all. Not surprised you had a disagreement though :lol::lol:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Im not sure it is Private, it's a little through road. I guess I need to see what signage there is on the lane.

Is there a website or a way to find out?

All the lanes off the A27 between Falmer and Kingston roundabout are private and basically access roads for cottages and farms. It would be one of these three:

1. Road to Balmer Farm which is private though it is a public bridleway so you'd be able to take your horse up it.
2. Lane running parallel on north side of A27 leading to a bridge - this is also private and is for farm access only.
3. Lane running parallel on south side next to the New Market pub and disused garage - I'm not certain about this one as buses use it, the lane running south from it definitely is private and is a farm access route.

Lewes District Council would be the ones to know.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
What's with all this 'I know my rights crap'. Not sure but wasn't the parking arrangements part of the planning permission for the ground and isn't part of the terms and conditions of the season tickets something along the lines of complying with the club's parking policy. Breach it and then maybe the club will cancel your season ticket. Perhaps worth checking out as although you might not get a parking ticket, you might find you no longer need to park there in the future anyway!!!!

But that means the club can stick a steward anywhere they want and say you cant park here. There has to be a point where it becomes unreasonable.

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
I park outside same house at night games,and if it were my house maybe i would get pissed off also about night games,christmas is coming up,bottle of plonk,knock on door,hey presto,maybe i £10 bottle of plonk may go a long way,cheers.

Last edited:

Parking in Falmer village is illegal. I expect the stewards have been asked to monitor the situation, with a view to notifying the council's enforcement officers if there is a widespread breach of the traffic regulation order.

Parking on the private "country lane" may be trespass - basically a civil matter. But if it turns out to be a bridleway, rather than an unrestricted public highway (which is quite possible - although this would need to be checked), you've committed a motoring offence by driving on it, unless you can demonstrate that you were requiring access to a property that could only be reached by doing so.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I know of someone who parked within the mile at Withdean and a steward radio'd the stadium and they were refused entry until they had moved their car.

I also know of someone who parked on Tongdean lane whose car was towed away during a game after a steward had asked him not to park there, so they may have a little more power than you give them credit for.

Also you have to remember that if you get in to an argument and you then leave your car unattended for a couple of hours it may not be as immaculate as when you left it, and if it's a very quiet road without any CCTV there's not a lot you can do about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here