Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Clarke

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's not about trusting a baggies fan, it's about getting an idea about a potential manager and his style of play. The fans on the whole thought he was defensive and lacked ideas, baring in mind they had not won many games, it's not hard to see why when you read what people who watch the game week in week out.

Let's take Oscar, most people on here would describe his style of football this season as on the whole Dire, are you saying they are wrong?Do you think That we played exciting entertaining football this season?

I think dire would massively over-estimate it. We finished 6th. We didn't play the most attacking football, and we were a bit too defensive for my liking but it got results.

People complained about Poyet's sides playing boring football as well, I didn't agree with them in the slightest then.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think dire would massively over-estimate it. We finished 6th. We didn't play the most attacking football, and we were a bit too defensive for my liking but it got results.

People complained about Poyet's sides playing boring football as well, I didn't agree with them in the slightest then.

I agree, I'm afraid I don't see get it up to two forwards as quickly as possible as entertaining. Losing 4-3 is ok once in a while but passing, winning football is the most entertaining. I accept that there are points in between, but I would hate to watch a Pulis type side at the AMEX...

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

We will have to agree to disagree, our home record speaks for itself. The vast majority on here wanted the football to improve and thought Oscar far to defensive. That's exactly the same sentiments being said on the West Brom forums about Clarke. So if we had Clarke it would be the same football, we need to step up and not side ways.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm surprised Clarke's footballing style is being described as defensive. Ineffective in the context of the Prem maybe? But he just didn't have the players at the end of his reign. Losing Lukaku was the key issue. Not Clarke's style of football.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm surprised Clarke's footballing style is being described as defensive. Ineffective in the context of the Prem maybe? But he just didn't have the players at the end of his reign. Losing Lukaku was the key issue. Not Clarke's style of football.

Christ on a bike
nail on the head job there
have I just slipped into another dimension or something

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Defensive? Maybe because he didn't want to get hammerred every week? Maybe?

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Not saying I want him or otherwise, but if you went all out attacking in the premiership without the players necessary, you're going to get hammered, frankly.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

Why did he not have the players then? He was the manager. So if he comes here and and finishes 14th he will not be to blame? Gus went to Sunderland and Pulis to Palace, both clubs looked certain to be relegated and both turned them around. It's the managers job to manage. And as he has only managed one team and that was a defensive team, how can you be so sure that he would not be defensive here. We have had Oscar and now that he has gone, it seems many people are not to unhappy with that. We need a manager with experience in this league and can get the best out of the players he has.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Was it Steve Clarke that once got suspended/sacked for a poo-related incident in the referee's dressing room, anybody know, or am I confusing him with someone else?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Christ on a bike
nail on the head job there
have I just slipped into another dimension or something

Nice to be in agreement on something.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why did he not have the players then? He was the manager. So if he comes here and and finishes 14th he will not be to blame? Gus went to Sunderland and Pulis to Palace, both clubs looked certain to be relegated and both turned them around. It's the managers job to manage. And as he has only managed one team and that was a defensive team, how can you be so sure that he would not be defensive here. We have had Oscar and now that he has gone, it seems many people are not to unhappy with that. We need a manager with experience in this league and can get the best out of the players he has.

All I'm saying is that I think Steve Clarke is not an inherently defensive manager. He cut his cloth according to the circumstances he faced at WBA, a middling (at best) Prem side, especially after he lost Lukaku (largely out of his control). It does NOT follow that, if he is appointed Brighton manager, he will opt for a defensive style. In fact, I expect he will more likely go for an attacking (not all out) style, given our current status in the Championship (playoffs last 2 seasons) and player resources. I could be wrong, but we'll both have to wait and see, won't we.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Was it Steve Clarke that once got suspended/sacked for a poo-related incident in the referee's dressing room, anybody know, or am I confusing him with someone else?

Sh1t stirrer!

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
All I'm saying is that I think Steve Clarke is not an inherently defensive manager. He cut his cloth according to the circumstances he faced at WBA, a middling (at best) Prem side, especially after he lost Lukaku (largely out of his control). It does NOT follow that, if he is appointed Brighton manager, he will opt for a defensive style. In fact, I expect he will more likely go for an attacking (not all out) style, given our current status in the Championship (playoffs last 2 seasons) and player resources. I could be wrong, but we'll both have to wait and see, won't we.

That answers the question, he has only 60 games under him as a manager, and the football has been defensive. you only think that he is not a defensive, but you can not be sure.
Well let's not take a risk with the club, go out and find someone who has more experience and can play several formations to suit the teams we play, it's that simple.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That answers the question, he has only 60 games under him as a manager, and the football has been defensive. you only think that he is not a defensive, but you can not be sure.
Well let's not take a risk with the club, go out and find someone who has more experience and can play several formations to suit the teams we play, it's that simple.

You really don'y like him do you? I wouldn't agree that he was exclusively 'defensive' when he managed WBA. More so towards the end.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You really don'y like him do you? I wouldn't agree that he was exclusively 'defensive' when he managed WBA. More so towards the end.

Which of course inevitably as a manager you do, when your team begins to struggle. It is no good scoring freely, if you are shipping goals. The first rule by any good manager is to ensure the defence is sound and build from then on. Ferguson talks about it in his book, Clough spoke about it.

Clarke is not overly defensive by any means and I would say, as was proven at WBA.

I would also add if you look at where he has been an Assistant Chelsea under Mourinho and Grant, Liverpool under Dalglish, West ham under Zola, I wouldn't say any of those teams were too defensive and whilst its the manager that dictates the style, the Coaches undoubtedly play a part.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Steve Clarke is the cousin of one of the owners of The Ragged Trousers pub on the Pantiles in Tun Wells. He is as dull as dishwater with no personality and mumbles when he talks to you - if indeed you manage to get a word out of the jumped up ****. I hope his cousin's management skills are better!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Seems he's the Ashley Barnes of management then.
I'd be quite happy, personally. Was on a hiding to nothing at West Brom but still managed to get them into the top half of the table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here