Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Clarke

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
In the context of Tony Bloom's personality he must be a rank outsider. Sherwood (because he is perhaps somewhat cavalier) or Clement - and even Neville - (having potential but unproven) are much more in the style you would expect as a fit with the man making the decision.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Pulis at Stoke was 30%, over a longer period, and if you want to see what boring football really looks like...

Roberto Martinez was 25% before he went to Everton, would you rule him out for that reason?

Tony was 36% at Stoke
As for Martinez he was on a loser with Wigan and where are they now. He did a good job considering.

West Brom most pundits would say Westbrom are a middle of the table side and have a lot more money to spend then some of the other clubs. They should not be fighting relegation.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My original choice. Would be very happy with him. Good football, experience at a higher level, probably not treating us as a stepping stone and a contacts book chock full.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes would prefer Steve Clarke, to all the 'certainties' that have been discussed on NSC in the last week.

Tactically astute, unlikely to rub people up the wrong way.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
You've just hit the nail on the head by calling him a highly regarded coach but that's it. He's not a manager...just like our Wendy

But with a Dir of Football and a CEO as well as a board. A Head Coach is what you need...

Managers arrange transfers, deal with contracts, at some clubs they even arrange the catering and other such nonsense, the whole point of our structure is to free the guy to concentrate solely on the team isn't it?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In the context of Tony Bloom's personality he must be a rank outsider. Sherwood (because he is perhaps somewhat cavalier) or Clement - and even Neville - (having potential but unproven) are much more in the style you would expect as a fit with the man making the decision.

Just heard him on the radio and it just reconfirmed that he's a mightily impressive. I think both Phil and Gary are extremely intelligent on all things football and communication.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
But with a Dir of Football and a CEO as well as a board. A Head Coach is what you need...

Managers arrange transfers, deal with contracts

Do they? Alex Ferguson didn't at Man U, David Gill the Chief Executive did. I thought that was normal these days.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Tony was 36% at Stoke
As for Martinez he was on a loser with Wigan and where are they now. He did a good job considering.

West Brom most pundits would say Westbrom are a middle of the table side and have a lot more money to spend then some of the other clubs. They should not be fighting relegation.

List I saw says 30% but no matter. By your critera Martinez would be ruled out surely? WBA budget, which ultimately is what really counts, from the Guardian

Eminently well-run. Accepted yo-yoing between Championship and Premier League for a decade, with chairman Jeremy Peace determined not to splurge into debt in either league. Now recognised for minting a style of play, with a director of football-type structure, which has survived changes of manager including Roy Hodgson's departure to become England coach. Finished 10th with the 15th highest wage bill, which was still, at £50m, 75% of turnover. Peace opposed financial fair play's introduction in the Premier League – West Brom have gained an advantage from breaking even while other clubs of a similar size have been run badly.

This was Clarke's last full season. This year they got rid early (December) and had two other Managers and neither improved it one iota...

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
List I saw says 30% but no matter. By your critera Martinez would be ruled out surely? WBA budget, which ultimately is what really counts, from the Guardian

Eminently well-run. Accepted yo-yoing between Championship and Premier League for a decade, with chairman Jeremy Peace determined not to splurge into debt in either league. Now recognised for minting a style of play, with a director of football-type structure, which has survived changes of manager including Roy Hodgson's departure to become England coach. Finished 10th with the 15th highest wage bill, which was still, at £50m, 75% of turnover. Peace opposed financial fair play's introduction in the Premier League – West Brom have gained an advantage from breaking even while other clubs of a similar size have been run badly.

This was Clarke's last full season. This year they got rid early (December) and had two other Managers and neither improved it one iota...

55 and 41% are the win rates for Chris Hughton and they are for playing in this league.

Clarke and Hughton both managers in the frame, only one has experience in the championship.

I would not pick either, and not just because of the win rate, as I have said. It is important, but not the only factor.

2 other factors are style of play and what the fans who watch the football week in week out think. And both sets of fans think they are well shot of them and the main theme about the style of football is
To defensive, boring and no plan B

Bring back exciting football, not dire boring football.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
55 and 41% are the win rates for Chris Hughton and they are for playing in this league.

Clarke and Hughton both managers in the frame, only one has experience in the championship.

I would not pick either, and not just because of the win rate, as I have said. It is important, but not the only factor.

2 other factors are style of play and what the fans who watch the football week in week out think. And both sets of fans think they are well shot of them and the main theme about the style of football is
To defensive, boring and no plan B

Bring back exciting football, not dire boring football.

Very much this, after last season we need to bring the excitement back to the Amex.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Just heard him on the radio and it just reconfirmed that he's a mightily impressive. I think both Phil and Gary are extremely intelligent on all things football and communication.

Of the younger managers being discussed, he would get my vote, I think he would be far more likely to be loyal and as it would be his first managerial position, he would probably want to put his own stamp on the team much like Gus did. That takes time.

My only doubt with Phil Neville, is about him moving from the north, I don't think he's ever been far from Manchester and he may have a young family to think of.

Far less likely to use the club as a stepping stone though than most of the other young managers being mentioned.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Of the younger managers being discussed, he would get my vote, I think he would be far more likely to be loyal and as it would be his first managerial position, he would probably want to put his own stamp on the team much like Gus did. That takes time.

My only doubt with Phil Neville, is about him moving from the north, I don't think he's ever been far from Manchester and he may have a young family to think of.

Far less likely to use the club as a stepping stone though than most of the other young managers being mentioned.

Fair point. But surely if he wants to progress in management he would have to consider moving elsewhere?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's not all about the win rate, you need to look at what the fans think, look at the style of play and then look at the results. Clarke falls down on all of them.

Really? I can't understand where most of the people at the Amex or on NSC are basing their opinions, why would I trust Baggies fans?
Wolves fans wanted McCarthy out and Charlton fans wanted Curbishley out. That worked well

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Fair point. But surely if he wants to progress in management he would have to consider moving elsewhere?

Yes he definitely would, although there are a hell of a lot of clubs within an hour or so of his home, but my point was more about whether he would settle down south.

He'd probably be willing to give it a go but we really don't need someone getting homesick a couple of months into the job. But hey, the flip side is he may love it, hopefully time will tell.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Really? I can't understand where most of the people at the Amex or on NSC are basing their opinions, why would I trust Baggies fans?
Wolves fans wanted McCarthy out and Charlton fans wanted Curbishley out. That worked well

It's not about trusting a baggies fan, it's about getting an idea about a potential manager and his style of play. The fans on the whole thought he was defensive and lacked ideas, baring in mind they had not won many games, it's not hard to see why when you read what people who watch the game week in week out.

Let's take Oscar, most people on here would describe his style of football this season as on the whole Dire, are you saying they are wrong?Do you think That we played exciting entertaining football this season?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Yes he definitely would, although there are a hell of a lot of clubs within an hour or so of his home, but my point was more about whether he would settle down south.

He'd probably be willing to give it a go but we really don't need someone getting homesick a couple of months into the job. But hey, the flip side is he may love it, hopefully time will tell.

True. But I'd imagine that his family would be prepped for a move elsewhere. Lets face it, this day and age Sussex to Lancs isn't too far, no more than an hour or so by plane. Like you say, time will tell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here