"Stay alert" - new govenment messaging

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Which of the rules do you think means I or anyone has 'fallen for it' ?

View attachment 123438

Those rules have been in place for several weeks now.
It’s the slogan itself that’s the issue here.

Slogans shouldn’t need qualifying.

Be alert for what? it’s nonsense.

But I know they can do no wrong in your opinion so let’s just agree to differ.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Those rules have been in place for several weeks now.
It’s the slogan itself that’s the issue here.

Slogans shouldn’t need qualifying.

Be alert for what? it’s nonsense.

But I know they can do no wrong in your opinion so let’s just agree to differ.

You seem to be trying really hard to find something to bicker about here.

It is a simple message.

Are you really struggling to understand what 'be alert' means?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

It is a simple message.

Butting in on your conversation, as this is an open forum, take your blinkers off and do a quick Google search and you will find that The Clamp isn’t alone in not getting it, even Dominic Raab got it wrong this morning, a man who briefs the nation in Boris’s absence, so what hope for us proles?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
dig.jpg

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

It is a simple message.

It is so simple that the government had to produce an explanatory document!

And government ministers have spent all morning on TV and radio trying to explain it - with various contradictions.

Apparently, the major plank of "Staying Alert" is to stay at home as much as possible. But I'm also told I can now take unlimited exercise. What do I do? Stay indoors, or spend the whole day out exercising? In reality, of course, I will do what I think is sensible, and it will probably be fine. I will try not to rely too much on the slogans that BoJo and his team of cronies dream up.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Butting in on your conversation, as this is an open forum, take your blinkers off and do a quick Google search and you will find that The Clamp isn’t alone in not getting it, even Dominic Raab got it wrong this morning, a man who briefs the nation in Boris’s absence, so what hope for us proles?

Add the to the list Andrew Bridgen. He was claiming that we could now do things that we couldn't.

If the Conservatives themselves do not know what Boris' speech meant, why should the nation have any confidence in their understanding of the new measures. Let's be honest, the Scots have got it right.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

It is a simple message.

Be alert to what?

You tell me. Genuinely. Tell me what I’m being alert to?

Tell you what, go online and check out the people getting on tubes at Newham this morning. Saying be alert and then giving people permission to do that, is not “being alert”.

So yes, I know what Be Alert means I’m the sense of Wash yer hands, stay away from people etc.
Even then it’s really poor English.

Be alert to washing your hands?
Be alert to social distancing?
be alert to not meeting your mum and dad at the same time.

Appalling use of the language.

Nevertheless,
What you are missing , spectacularly, is what it means in the context of the government message. Be alert while the Tory’s pack tube stations to get people back to work so they can appease their donators in the construction and manafacturing industries.

You are comprehensively missing the point here.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It is so simple that the government had to produce an explanatory document!

the document everyone has been asking, demanding, the government produce to show their plan out of lockdown.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Stay Alert to moving traffic when stepping off the pavement to socially distance from an approaching infectee.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Be alert to what?

You tell me. Genuinely. Tell me what I’m being alert to?

Tell you what, go online and check out the people getting on tubes at Newham this morning. Saying be alert and then giving people permission to do that, is not “being alert”.

So yes, I know what Be Alert means I’m the sense of Wash yer hands, stay away from people etc.
Even then it’s really poor English.

Be alert to washing your hands?
Be alert to social distancing?
be alert to not meeting your mum and dad at the same time.

Appalling use of the language.

Nevertheless,
What you are missing , spectacularly, is what it means in the context of the government message. Be alert while the Tory’s pack tube stations to get people back to work so they can appease their donators in the construction and manafacturing industries.

Nope. Still don't get what you are struggling with.

"Stay alert" is not exactly a complicated message.

There is a risk of contracting a serious viral infection from your fellow citizens. "Stay alert" to this risk and modify your behaviour to reduce the risk to yourself and those around you.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Nope. Still don't get what you are struggling with.

"Stay alert" is not exactly a complicated message.

There is a risk of contracting a serious viral infection from your fellow citizens. "Stay alert" to this risk and modify your behaviour to reduce the risk to yourself and those around you.

Yes, we have established that. I see you still don’t get the sheer hypocrisy of it all.

It doesn’t mean anything .
I can see you will never get that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i understand the point, its a naff message lot of people want to over analyse.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Stay Alert to moving traffic when stepping off the pavement to socially distance from an approaching infectee.

And with that example, you've exposed the real issue with the stupid slogan:
stay alert is akin to be vigilant, aka watchful: you can view moving traffic, but you can't view the virus and, the virus tends to be the most infectious at the point where the infectee isn't even aware of it

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don’t have an issue with the concept of being aware of risks. I’m afraid I’m not going to be constantly hyper-vigilant and in a protracted state of alert, though. Very, very bad for mental health.

Besides, anyone who is alert to propaganda knows this is blame shifting behaviour. It’s also wholly insincere, as the packed tube trains this morning demonstrate.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
OUR PLAN TO REBUILD: The UK Government’s COVID-19 recovery strategy

View attachment 123461

Here are some points of note:

Step One – Wednesday 13th May

Work:

Workers should continue to work from home rather than their normal physical workplace, wherever possible.
Workers who cannot work from home should travel to work if their workplace is open.
eg food production, construction, manufacturing, logistics, distribution and scientific research in laboratories.
Exceptions being hospitality and non-essential retail
workplaces should follow the new “COVID-19 Secure” guidelines, which will be published this week

Schools:

A full reopening of schools is not on the table
Hope that Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 pupils will be able to return to school, albeit in smaller class sizes
Government hopes secondary school GCSE pupils will get some face-to-face time before the summer holidays, however as a supplement to continued online classes
Nannies and childminders will be allowed to resume work, enabling more parents to return to work.

Travel:

Government to publish advice this week to transport operators on following appropriate guidance to make their services COVID-19 secure

Face-coverings:

Homemade cloth face-coverings can help reduce the risk of transmission in some circumstances
Not the same as a facemask used by health workers
Shouldn’t be used by young children or primary age children or those with respiratory conditions

Public spaces:

The risk of infection outside is significantly lower than inside
Cannot meet up with any more than one person from outside your household
Unlimited exercise
However, playgrounds and outdoor gyms will remain closed
You can drive to outdoor spaces irrespective of distance, provided you’re not crossing boundaries between England/Scotland/Wales

International travel:

Government will provide accommodation for international travellers who are unable to demonstrate where they would self-isolated for the newly-mandated 14 days
Rules will be introduced as soon as possible

Step Two – No sooner than June 1st

Will permit cultural and sporting events to take place behind-closed-doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact.

Social and family contact:

Government has asked SAGE to examine whether, when and how it can safely change the regulations to allow people to expand their household group to include one other household in the same exclusive group.
It would not be permitted to be in multiple household groups (if Household A merges with B, Household B cannot also elect to be in a group with Household C).
The Government is also looking at how to enable people to gather in slightly larger groups which would allow events such as weddings to resume
At the Government’s press briefing this afternoon, the PM’s spokesman clarified one grandparent could meet a grandchild in the park in the morning, with the other doing so separately in the afternoon, provided social distancing is maintained at all times

Step Three – No sooner than July 4th

The government’s aim of opening some remaining businesses from 4th July includes:
Hairdressers
Beauty salons
Pubs
Food service providers
Places of worship
However those facilities which, by design, are crowded and where social distancing may be difficult will not be able to re-open

Supporting programmes:
Accurate disease monitoring and reactive measures

The Joint Biosecurity Centre will identify specific local actions to address local spikes in infections, such as one specific school shutting down

Public communication:

The Government also admits they recognise the problems with moving from “Stay at Home” to a more nuanced message, and will therefore invest in population-wide public health education to ensure everyone has the information and education needed to take responsible risk judgements

Sustainable government structures:

Government promises to learn the right lessons from this crisis and act now to ensure the government is fit to cope with future epidemics

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Here are some points of note:

Step One – Wednesday 13th May

Work:

Workers should continue to work from home rather than their normal physical workplace, wherever possible.
Workers who cannot work from home should travel to work if their workplace is open.
eg food production, construction, manufacturing, logistics, distribution and scientific research in laboratories.
Exceptions being hospitality and non-essential retail
workplaces should follow the new “COVID-19 Secure” guidelines, which will be published this week

Schools:

A full reopening of schools is not on the table
Hope that Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 pupils will be able to return to school, albeit in smaller class sizes
Government hopes secondary school GCSE pupils will get some face-to-face time before the summer holidays, however as a supplement to continued online classes
Nannies and childminders will be allowed to resume work, enabling more parents to return to work.

Travel:

Government to publish advice this week to transport operators on following appropriate guidance to make their services COVID-19 secure

Face-coverings:

Homemade cloth face-coverings can help reduce the risk of transmission in some circumstances
Not the same as a facemask used by health workers
Shouldn’t be used by young children or primary age children or those with respiratory conditions

Public spaces:

The risk of infection outside is significantly lower than inside
Cannot meet up with any more than one person from outside your household
Unlimited exercise
However, playgrounds and outdoor gyms will remain closed
You can drive to outdoor spaces irrespective of distance, provided you’re not crossing boundaries between England/Scotland/Wales

International travel:

Government will provide accommodation for international travellers who are unable to demonstrate where they would self-isolated for the newly-mandated 14 days
Rules will be introduced as soon as possible

Step Two – No sooner than June 1st

Will permit cultural and sporting events to take place behind-closed-doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact.

Social and family contact:

Government has asked SAGE to examine whether, when and how it can safely change the regulations to allow people to expand their household group to include one other household in the same exclusive group.
It would not be permitted to be in multiple household groups (if Household A merges with B, Household B cannot also elect to be in a group with Household C).
The Government is also looking at how to enable people to gather in slightly larger groups which would allow events such as weddings to resume
At the Government’s press briefing this afternoon, the PM’s spokesman clarified one grandparent could meet a grandchild in the park in the morning, with the other doing so separately in the afternoon, provided social distancing is maintained at all times

Step Three – No sooner than July 4th

The government’s aim of opening some remaining businesses from 4th July includes:
Hairdressers
Beauty salons
Pubs
Food service providers
Places of worship
However those facilities which, by design, are crowded and where social distancing may be difficult will not be able to re-open

Supporting programmes:
Accurate disease monitoring and reactive measures

The Joint Biosecurity Centre will identify specific local actions to address local spikes in infections, such as one specific school shutting down

Public communication:

The Government also admits they recognise the problems with moving from “Stay at Home” to a more nuanced message, and will therefore invest in population-wide public health education to ensure everyone has the information and education needed to take responsible risk judgements

Sustainable government structures:

Government promises to learn the right lessons from this crisis and act now to ensure the government is fit to cope with future epidemics

And you wonder why people are confused. Yesterday’s message Barely touched on any of that.

Wednesday wasn’t mentioned was it? Hence the packed tubes today. Last thing people should be doing is going back to work. He’s placating party donors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports