Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Starting eleven against Doncaster

D

Deleted member 18477

Interesting seems like the variables are in central MF with Bridcutt (I'd go with Dicker) and the wide boys - I'd have said Noone would miss out but pre season so far has gone well - if it continues maybe it'll be Buckley on the bench

I feel a bit for Barnes - can't see how he gets a look in but I think he's a got a great future - hope we keep hold of him but he strikes me as someone who won't want to sit around and just make cameo appearances

the season is bloody long. + cup games + injuries. Barnes will get his chance and in some games gus will play barnes, CMS and Hoskins all together. Did it last year with barnes, Murray, wood.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For those that have been to pre-season games - who looks likely to be taking our free kicks/corners?
Thanks. I'm starting to think that Noone is becoming Gus's golden boy.
If KLL had been here, he'd have been taking them.

I really like Noone - great fun with the fans on the touchline, and played well each time I've seen him. But from what I can remember of KLL (it was a while ago), he was different class. And that's no disrespect to anyone else, KLL was just brilliant. Once up to match fitness, I'd expect KLL to start.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008

I really like Noone - great fun with the fans on the touchline, and played well each time I've seen him. But from what I can remember of KLL (it was a while ago), he was different class. And that's no disrespect to anyone else, KLL was just brilliant. Once up to match fitness, I'd expect KLL to start.

Really? I don't remember KLL taking any set pieces other than direct free kicks where he had a shot on goal...

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Any of the line-ups above would look pretty terrifying to an opposing defender. The fact that some people are putting KLL on the bench shows how far we've come: I'm not saying those people are wrong necessarily, just that even at the end of last season the thought of us putting a player of his calibre on the bench would have seemed absurd. Now it's a perfectly viable possibility.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Interesting seems like the variables are in central MF with Bridcutt (I'd go with Dicker) and the wide boys - I'd have said Noone would miss out but pre season so far has gone well - if it continues maybe it'll be Buckley on the bench

I feel a bit for Barnes - can't see how he gets a look in but I think he's a got a great future - hope we keep hold of him but he strikes me as someone who won't want to sit around and just make cameo appearances

The Dicker/Bridcutt combination is formidable.

Barnes seemed to take the spell where Murray/Wood were the first choice strikers very well, and rightly earned his space back. I'm confident he'll do well this season :)

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India

Fair points. Having KLL on the pitch made us deadly with free kicks outside the box. The lay off - the side step - and BAM!

Recon Noony could take a better corner tho' - I expect Dicker or Buckley would also do a job.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Any of the line-ups above would look pretty terrifying to an opposing defender. The fact that some people are putting KLL on the bench shows how far we've come: I'm not saying those people are wrong necessarily, just that even at the end of last season the thought of us putting a player of his calibre on the bench would have seemed absurd. Now it's a perfectly viable possibility.

KLL sat on the bench a lot during his last spell, especially away from home. Always made an impact when he came on tho'

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Yeah that's true, I'd forgotten that in all the excitement. Still, it's a scary line-up, however it's arranged.

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
......................casper
calderon....dunk....greer....painter
noone....bridcutt...dicker...kazeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenga
...............buckley......cms

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
For what it's worth, with the current squad and injuries, here's mine. Got to say that Vincelot is unlucky to miss out to Dicker (12 goals from midfield in a relegated team is outstanding):

Ankergren

Calderon Greer Dunk Painter

Buckley Bridcutt Dicker LuaLua

CMS Hoskins​

Noone incredibly unlucky to miss out, and if the season started tomorrow he would be in the team, but how can you leave out Kazenga?!

Oh, and the subs:

Brezovan
Vincelot
Jamie Smith
Noone
Sparrow
Barnes
Bergkamp

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Really? I don't remember KLL taking any set pieces other than direct free kicks where he had a shot on goal...
Sorry, wasn't talking about corners, I mean free kicks where there's a chance to shoot at goal (inc lay-offs for indirect).

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
For me, the hardest choice is Noone/LuaLua.

Personally, I'd start with Noone, and bring on LuaLua after sixty or seventy minutes. The roar that would go up when his name was announced...

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Sorry, wasn't talking about corners, I mean free kicks where there's a chance to shoot at goal (inc lay-offs for indirect).

Ah, fair enough! The indirect free kick/corner kick taker still stands out as a bit of an issue. I know Dicker took a few last year but we haven't really got anyone, from what I can see, that can whip the ball in with pace like Bennett did.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Personally, I'd start with Noone, and bring on LuaLua after sixty or seventy minutes. The roar that would go up when his name was announced...
Good luck explaining that to KLL - we know you're great Kaz, but imagine how much fun it would be to hear the roar when we bring you on :wink:

Nice for Gus to have these problems.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It's funny how despite losing our top scorer and number one provider we now find ourselves in a position where not only is our squad considerably stronger than last season, but our second top scorer doesn't feature in most people's plans for the starting XI!

I'm not complaining, this is awesome. When was the last time we could afford to leave a 20 goal striker on the bench?

I think back to those McGhee days, post Leon, when we just couldn't find anyone to spearhead our attack, leaving a centre back as our main goal threat. We seemed to be forever searching for a striker. NOW we have goals all over the pitch, a multi-million pound striker with 35 goals to his name last season, another quality young striker with a bagload to his name in an otherwise shithouse team, our own twenty goal youngster Ashley Barnes and most of our midfielders aren't shy when it comes to knowing where the back of the net is either.

Moving into the new stadium was always going to be exciting, but I never dreamed we'd be doing it with such an embarrassment of riches both on and off the pitch.

Seriously, this team has the potential to be DEVASTATING and I very much doubt any of our new season ticket holders will find themselves getting bored anytime soon.

Roll on Donny. I really cannot wait

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
My thoughts are Dunk may not start if Gus finds this centeral defender he is looking for till Adam and Tommy return from injury. Also i think Noone will definately start and Maybe KLL to start on the bench. 1st game of the seson is normally warm weatherwise and the pace of Lua Lua against a tiring/wilting full back late on in the game will be immense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here