Stadium expansion. Have we goofed up?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Initially yes but I always thought the max capacity was well above that and This Article seems to agree (although a 1000 less than my memory).

Looks like that article could contain errors.
Strange how everything is rounded to the nearest 5,000, and I thought all those in the know have made it plain that 30,750 is the max, without dismantling the 2 colossal arches and their vast concrete thrust walls.

Was 35,000 mentioned in the planning docs supplied to B&HCC?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
By making the South and North stands safe standing, it would at least double their size and would be minimal cost and probably could be done over the summer.. :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't think transport is that bad, many fans don't like public transport and think nothing of spending 30 minutes in a traffic jam in their car leaving a ground and being stuck in a jam, but the same in relation to a train is deemed to be unacceptable.

But then there cars are nice and cosy ......this season we've not enjoyed the best of weather .......it mainly being either wet or cold and not exactly nice to hang around in for our relatively supporters....just a thought

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
By making the South and North stands safe standing, it would at least double their size and would be minimal cost and probably could be done over the summer.. :)

But it wouldn't as if we had to follow the same safe standing rules as Germany the capacity of the North & South wold only be marginally increased. I would expect that people would expect to pay less to stand and therefore the club would potentially lose revenue. Can't see them agreeing to standing even if it was allowed.

Feb 3, 2013
You could get 32,000 in the Amex. This is how, The south east corner has a huge gap behind so extend the seating to the back of the stadium and the north east corner then do away with the disabled seating and extend that as well as have never seen any disabled fans in there and hardly see any disabled fans in the front of the north anymore or front of the east stand so if they aren't going to use those front rows then put seating in.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
We're missing a trick here.
What we need to do is install a glass roof, strong enough to hold 10,000 fans with a top down POV a la Sensible Soccer
sensible_soccer_returns.jpg

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Did we have any choice of a larger stadium?

Yes, and we took that choice already!

As a tidy 30,000 capacity with regular tv rights, also streaming on the web for another subscription, filling the seats every match..... we will watch our 'b' team ruunning the Championship after the 70,000 seater is home to our first team :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
30,000 seems fine to me. We're never going to compete on level terms with the Manchesters, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool - and neither will anybody else. Yet teams do compete, season after season, in the Prem. with crowds of less than 30,000 (and in some cases chatging less for tickets than at the Amex!)

Anyway, when we were in the top flight, we didn't often get more than 20,000. If we can keep the Amex more or less full for every home game, we'll be doing fine!

Keep it at 30,500 and double the price of a ticket - that way it's like having 60k without the building expense :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You could get 32,000 in the Amex. This is how, The south east corner has a huge gap behind so extend the seating to the back of the stadium and the north east corner then do away with the disabled seating and extend that as well as have never seen any disabled fans in there and hardly see any disabled fans in the front of the north anymore or front of the east stand so if they aren't going to use those front rows then put seating in.

Expansion of the South East corner, and a new North Upper look like the obvious choices for pushing up the capacity if it is ever necessary.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
30,000 seems fine to me. We're never going to compete on level terms with the Manchesters, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool

Never been overly convinced about Chelsea. They still advertise match tickets, don't always hit 35k crowds, and 88% of the Chelsea 'fans' you see on the streets of Sussex have probably never visited London, let alone Stamford Bridge. (Soz again Bushy)

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
But it wouldn't as if we had to follow the same safe standing rules as Germany the capacity of the North & South wold only be marginally increased. I would expect that people would expect to pay less to stand and therefore the club would potentially lose revenue. Can't see them agreeing to standing even if it was allowed.

1.9 to 1 is not marginal

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I have heard that there is a plan to change the 1901 seats to standard ones without arms, this would allow another 1200 in the West Stand middle tier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports