Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stadium expansion. Have we goofed up?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
The answer is we haven't 'goofed up'.

The stadium can be expanded, but there would have to be a good enough economic case to do so - which would mean most matches selling out, and a few thousand on the waiting list.

The transport issues with more fans would also need to be resolved.

Not to mention planning consents given, I understand, that the original design had to fit in sympathetically in the context of the downs.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Jamie's going to help us blow it up, not sure if he said he would help in the expansion though!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Do you not understand what fantasise means? We probably won't get promoted this year, and we probably won't next year either (just check out the bookies odds). But we could get promoted this year, and we could stay up (probably won't, but could). So if we're fantasising, then we get promoted this year and stay up every year - which means we'd be an established premiership team, not a yo-yo club.

Well if we're really fantisising then the answer will be that we will successfully apply for the National Park Boundaries to be moved, relocate from Falmer to Waterhall as Mike Bamber suggested all those years ago, leaving the Amex as the training ground in much the same way Barca moved from the Camp de Les Courts to Camp Nou in 1957......

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The East stand roof CAN be raised, (I asked the architect of The Amex this same question at the inaugural first "dig" at Falmer) increasing the initial capacity to 35K. I've also heard from a source at the club that the equipment to jack up the East Stand while a new tier is added runs into millions alone, its not about the expansion as such, just the travel implications involved with getting more people in and out.
thats what I was told and I agree its about improving infrastructure first.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
There isn't the street parking of a lot of grounds but where there is, you're sat in traffic queues trying to get to a main road for ages. I think we compare favourably overall.

And a lot of that is heavily restricted these days. Take, for example, Watford, which is one of the easiest grounds to park near (well I find it so, but I'm quite familiar with its road network, having family up there). All the roads around are restricted on match days and you have a good 20-25 minute walk to the ground. Not a particular pain, and I've parked in more or less the same place when I've been to Albion games there, but not a great deal of difference from a 30 minute wait for a train.

I think Biscuit perhaps makes his point from the view of someone having to get back to London after games. Not a problem on a Saturday, but on a week night with work the next day it can be. I stop with my parents and commute the next day after weeknight games, but not everyone has that option. It doesn't help that B & H Buses won't put on extra services to Lewes. There is just the 2202, which struggles to take everyone, and then none for half an hour. Not a big deal unless, as I said, you have work the next day. But I agree we still compare favourably to others. I certainly wouldn't fancy trying to get away from the Reebok Stadium on a weeknight.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
anyone that went to boro on saturday will realize our stadium is big enough. I am sure they thought about expansion when playing European football and premier league football in front of sell out crowds....

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
anyone that went to boro on saturday will realize our stadium is big enough. I am sure they thought about expansion when playing European football and premier league football in front of sell out crowds....

Yes you're right. It's horrible rattling around in a big stadium with few fans. If the fans are packed in the atmosphere is usually superior to that of an equal crowd dispersed around a larger area. The impression a packed stadium gives in the media also relates to a perception of greater success.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All the roads around are restricted on match days and you have a good 20-25 minute walk to the ground. Not a particular pain, and I've parked in more or less the same place when I've been to Albion games there, but not a great deal of difference from a 30 minute wait for a train.
Very true. People just get more frustrated when they're standing still, whereas they accept 20 minutes of walking etc. Being able to have a quick beer afterwards, and then be on a train is an added bonus. We really don't have it bad at all.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
marshy68 is spot on - and it may be in a club's interests not to have too much extra capacity.

I once spoke to the bloke who designed the Amsterdam Arena and asked why it was only built to hold 50,000 when they were certain to sell more for Champions League games. He pointed out that if it is hard to get into big games, it creates demand for season tickets. If they had a 70,000 capacity, people wouldn't bother buying season tickets because they knew they'd always be able to get into big games.

Ditto with us - so some JCLs will miss out on Premier League games against Arsenal, Chelsea, the Red Filth, Liverpool etc at current capacity. Those of us who have stumped up for Peterborough, Bristol City and Barnsley won't. And the club gets more regular revenue.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Put money into Worthing football club, wait for them to get to a respectable level and then merge into BHWA, and build a new, giant, f**k off Stadium in the middle of the English Channel.

Got more chance with Whitehawk

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The only expansion worth considering is a few thousand more seats in the North Stand. That would involve relocating whatever's behind the stand, including Dick's Bar and lifting/re-shaping the roof which I assume would be far easier and less costly with messing with the East stand roof. That would rectify the only design flaw with the stadium (ie north stand too small) and would make the away end seem small and insignificant which would be a good thing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The only expansion worth considering is a few thousand more seats in the North Stand. That would involve relocating whatever's behind the stand, including Dick's Bar and lifting/re-shaping the roof which I assume would be far easier and less costly with messing with the East stand roof. That would rectify the only design flaw with the stadium (ie north stand too small) and would make the away end seem small and insignificant which would be a good thing.

You make it sound so simple.

Any idea where the displaced offices would go?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You make it sound so simple.

Any idea where the displaced offices would go?
The training ground is the obvious answer, alternatives being a new bolt-on office building on the back of the north stand, telletubby land by the east stand, or in one of the universities' buildings...

Feb 14, 2010

I agree that the North Stand is too small - a ground should have a proper end. Also the roof points upwards and I wonder if that is why the noise does not travel. Interesting suggestion you have to rectify. I am surprised that some people still argue that 30,000 is enough when they are limiting season ticket sales to 26000 for next season which again might be in the second tier of football. Clearly the Albion could get gates of 40,000 plus for the Arsenal and Spurs of this world.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Nope, it's perfect.

Come back in ten years and ask the question again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Not necessarily.

M'boro, Stockton, Billingham, Redcar, Hartlepool and Darlington (exaggerating that no one supports the other local clubs), is a far far lower catchment population, than that of Sussex.

In addition, it is the poorest part of England.

The main reason they got that stadium and PL football, was the immensely generous Steve Gibson.

If and when the Albion get to the PL, and end up not being a yoyo club, there is potential for the fan base to grow with sensible ticket pricing.

All a few years away. Lancing to be achieved first, and perhaps if we get the PL, TB deserves some repaying of his loans?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Putting the stadium next to the University was genius. Always a fresh load of new customers moving to the area.

We don't need to expand, we just need to make the ticket exchange work properly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here