Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stadium expansion. Have we goofed up?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The roof cannot be raised. it holds the arches up and the arches hold the roof up. It's called a cantilever roof.

It must be possible to raise the roof if the economic case for doing so is established.

We sent a man into space 52 years ago. People walk around with pocket sized mobile phones. Raising a stadium roof is trivial in comparison.

Given sellouts and a large enough waiting list the economics to do so will quickly become compelling.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
"But I don't WANT this brand new, top of the range, award winning, world-renowned shiny bicycle Daddy! I WANT A BIGGER ONE!!"

Reminds me of Tony Bloom's first fans' forum as chairman, two and a bit months after he had taken over

Someone in the audience asked 'would you make way for someone with millions to spend...?'

'Well give me a chance, I've only just become chairman...' was the carefully considered diplomatic answer.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It must be possible to raise the roof if the economic case for doing so is established.

We sent a man into space 52 years ago. People walk around with pocket sized mobile phones. Raising a stadium roof is trivial in comparison.

Given sellouts and a large enough waiting list the economics to do so will quickly become compelling.

It's technically possible - of course it is.

Just how many tens of millions of pounds you'd wish to spend, plus months of stadium non-use while the whole ground is virtually re-built you'd wish the Albion to have to endure is another matter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The roof cannot be raised. it holds the arches up and the arches hold the roof up. It's called a cantilever roof.

Is it a cantilever roof?

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
The East stand roof CAN be raised, (I asked the architect of The Amex this same question at the inaugural first "dig" at Falmer) increasing the initial capacity to 35K. I've also heard from a source at the club that the equipment to jack up the East Stand while a new tier is added runs into millions alone, its not about the expansion as such, just the travel implications involved with getting more people in and out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Getting ahead of myself a bit, but lets just fantasise about 5 years time from now. We are an established Premier League team, on the up with a growing support.
I think the phrase I've highlighted shows how deluded you've become.

We are at best a Premier league - Championship yo-yo Club
Do you not understand what fantasise means? We probably won't get promoted this year, and we probably won't next year either (just check out the bookies odds). But we could get promoted this year, and we could stay up (probably won't, but could). So if we're fantasising, then we get promoted this year and stay up every year - which means we'd be an established premiership team, not a yo-yo club.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
When I did the stadium tour a year or so ago the guide said that when we reached the prem it would be extra seating for journalists when the main section in WSL can't fit them all in.

I did the tour a year ago was told something very similar but I prefer my version; she said it was for when we get in Europe as UEFA send lots of officials/delegates! :D

Still strange, you would think they would fill them in and sell match day tickets, not ST's, so they wouldn't have to throw ST holders out when we get to the Prem or Europe ???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Reminds me of Tony Bloom's first fans' forum as chairman, two and a bit months after he had taken over

Someone in the audience asked 'would you make way for someone with millions to spend...?'

'Well give me a chance, I've only just become chairman...' was the carefully considered diplomatic answer.
:lol:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The roof cannot be raised. . It's called a cantilever roof.

Is that because the guy asked to raise the roof was Scotty from Star Trek?

"Scotty, raise the Amex Roof"

"Agh Captain, I Canti Lever the Roof. It's too big"

th

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Getting ahead of myself a bit, but lets just fantasise about 5 years time from now. We are an established Premier League team, on the up with a growing support.

in he meantime fellow south coast club Southampton, have bolted on another tier onto the Ikea flat pack that is St Marys, increasing to 40k.

we on the other hand still have our wonderfully designed stadium, but suddenly find we cannot increase capacity further and meet the demand from our new JCLs. What do we do? How have we catered for this inevitable growth in support?

The answer is we haven't 'goofed up'.

The stadium can be expanded, but there would have to be a good enough economic case to do so - which would mean most matches selling out, and a few thousand on the waiting list.

The transport issues with more fans would also need to be resolved.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The answer is we haven't 'goofed up'.

The stadium can be expanded, but there would have to be a good enough economic case to do so - which would mean most matches selling out, and a few thousand on the waiting list.

The transport issues with more fans would also need to be resolved.

So basically, this whole thread is a load of bollox

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Expanded or re-built?

Where is the capacity for the extra seats without re-building?
Apparently a few NSC folk are double hard, and can lift the roof for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here