Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Spurs forum ahead of Saturday

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
I feel the people calling Spurs fans entitled are probably being a little harsh. It reminds me a little of when we got rid of Hughton and the outside world pointed out that staying in the Premier League was our aim, and he’d achieved that and got us to Wembley in the FA Cup.

In their last two games they’ve limped to a draw against a very shit Everton side and thrown away a two goal lead against bottom of the table Southampton. In 2023 they’ve got knocked out of the Champions League by a very average Milan side and thrown away a real chance at silverwear by playing the stiffs against Sheffield United in the FA Cup.

They pay the highest season ticket prices in the country if not the world for a stadium that feels more like a moderately busy Scandinavian airport than somewhere to watch a football match, but despite that their owners seem more concerned about attracting concerts, NFL Matches & Go-Karting than the actual football team.

They have a team of potentially exciting attacking talent being forced to play terroristball and hoping Kane blags a goal against the run or play despite them having a defence that still contains absolute shite like Dier, Davies, Sanchez and a 400 year old Lloris.

If I was paying over a grand a year to watch us play counter attacking defensive football week in week out with absolutely no interest in actually winning a cup then I’d probably be pretty fed up too. Especially if our biggest rivals had built such an exciting, young, talented team and looked likely to win the league this year.
And we used to argue among ourselves about Darlington (98/99). Get with the programme people, this is the best we’ve ever been.

We may win, we may lose. We know we play some of the most exciting football in the league. Spurs have a couple of players (at best) worth more than our most expensive players are worth. Enjoy De Zerbi while we can. It’s brilliant to watch and he could do a modern day Nottingham Forest with us.

We’re like a guided missile with Tony Bloom at headquarters. Even if we lose DZ, I think we’ll eventually make it to our target.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Read Paul Merson's pre-match review and he reckons Spuds will win because Brighton can't deal with pressure.
Where the hell did he get that idea from?
Clearly not watched us play.
We are the epitome of cool under pressure.
#badjourno
Paul Merson is a journalist?!

Where did you get that idea from? :lolol:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
George Best was also playing against players who nowadays would in many cases be in League One rather than the top division.
Which isn't to say he wasn't great, just that changes in the game cut both ways.
You’ve lost me Sid. So who exactly would be playing in the old First Division? You’re saying that George Best would be a League One player?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Read Paul Merson's pre-match review and he reckons Spuds will win because Brighton can't deal with pressure.
Where the hell did he get that idea from?
Clearly not watched us play.
We are the epitome of cool under pressure.
#badjourno
Yeah like we absolutely crumbled against Bournemouth when they threw the kitchen sink at us and had about 12 half and clear cut chances?

Can only assume he was channel hopping and assumed Lerma’s half volley went in without seeing the save, or the other toe poke just going past the post or the Steele/Webster double saves and just assumed we’d lost 4-2 instead.

Jokes aside I really cannot think of another game where we’ve been backs to the wall and not coped.

He really does spout absolute drivel.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
ManUre because of the **** Whiteside, the cheat who stole our FA cup.

If we come through the semi watch the vid again. I will. Never forgive, never forget.
Good man. Grudges should be retained and topped up for life. I hate Spurs because a bully at school claimed to be a fan. This was topped up by Spurs manager Keith Burkenshaw proclaiming 'we should beat teams like Brighton' after they didn't. Their fans are the epitome of entitled. A big club which wins nothing most of the time. I'm too young to remember the push and run side, the 61 title winners, even really the glory days of Greaves, Gilzean, Blanchflower, McKay etc. For me, they just had the occasional Cup win.Entertaining? Not since the days of Ardiles and Villa, but their fans talk lovingly of playing the Spurs way. Most fans know them as dull, boring Spurs, not entertaining Spurs. As someone suggested earlier, I am one who has a 'weird hatred of Spurs' and no time for their fans.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
IMG_0942.png

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
You’ve lost me Sid. So who exactly would be playing in the old First Division? You’re saying that George Best would be a League One player?
No, Best himself was clearly brilliant, so assuming he could fit in with all the professional requirements at the top level nowadays I'm sure he'd be a brilliant player now as well.
The point is, the 1st division teams then were made up almost exclusively of British and Irish players, with the odd exception. Whereas the top clubs now source talent from all over the world.
So unless we believe that all 200+ players in the first division in the 1960s happened to also be the most talented 200+ players in the world, it's inevitable that a substantial proportion of them would be playing at a lower level if they were around today.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
No, Best himself was clearly brilliant, so assuming he could fit in with all the professional requirements at the top level nowadays I'm sure he'd be a brilliant player now as well.
The point is, the 1st division teams then were made up almost exclusively of British and Irish players, with the odd exception. Whereas the top clubs now source talent from all over the world.
So unless we believe that all 200+ players in the first division in the 1960s happened to also be the most talented 200+ players in the world, it's inevitable that a substantial proportion of them would be playing at a lower level if they were around today.
ah good point well made mate, you're right, as far as the first division went.
Although I do think that Best is up there with Messi, Maradona etc. I saw Maradona and Best live, both spectacular players. It's just a shame that Best never had the chance to shine at International level.
You can only beat who is in front of you, then as now, and he was sensational in the old European Cup, which was still the elite competition and where the World's top players plied their trade.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good man. Grudges should be retained and topped up for life. I hate Spurs because a bully at school claimed to be a fan. This was topped up by Spurs manager Keith Burkenshaw proclaiming 'we should beat teams like Brighton' after they didn't. Their fans are the epitome of entitled. A big club which wins nothing most of the time. I'm too young to remember the push and run side, the 61 title winners, even really the glory days of Greaves, Gilzean, Blanchflower, McKay etc. For me, they just had the occasional Cup win.Entertaining? Not since the days of Ardiles and Villa, but their fans talk lovingly of playing the Spurs way. Most fans know them as dull, boring Spurs, not entertaining Spurs. As someone suggested earlier, I am one who has a 'weird hatred of Spurs' and no time for their fans.
:thumbsup:

One of the blokes who delivers my post is a potato. He's a really nice lad, and is genuinely envious of the Albion's trajectory. But to be despondent when you're club is fourth is indeed the height of entitlement. Over the many years I've chatted with him it has always been about 'yes, it's great we are in the champions' league semi, but we just know we won't win'.

I just hope that the decades of high finishes and cup finals that await us, as the Albion future takes on a new lustre, don't leave me jaded and entitled. That would be terrible.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
George Best was also playing against players who nowadays would in many cases be in League One rather than the top division.
Which isn't to say he wasn't great, just that changes in the game cut both ways.
What an odd claim. Football was different then. Players were playing on crap pitches which today's mob would struggle with. Training was also very different. Who's to say that if players from the 60s and 70s were training like todays stars and playing on a carpet rather than a bog, they wouldn't be at the same or a better standard.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My thoughts exactly.

Calling Merson a journo is like calling a bloke that drunkenly sends unsolicited dick pics to random women a romance novelist.
I can guarantee you that I will unashamedly steal that, and when I use it at a later date I will do so, confident in the knowledge I wrote it.

It's that good.

(Albeit, I prefer Romantic Novelist which, although less accurate is more commonly used).

:bowdown:

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Richard Arlison on their forum said this: "Brighton has always been my 2nd team."

When I was little, and we were in Div 3 and 4 all my school chums supported 2nd, better teams - mine was Liverpool.

Nice to be regarded that way now. I wonder if he has a Brighton bag for his school homework.

It reminds me a bit of when we just missed out on the playoffs under Wendy. We were balls 75% of the time, but scraped enough ugly wins to put us in a flattering position. Spurs play shit football and are entirely reliant on Kane. Son has been dreadful this season, Richarlison has flopped. Without Kane they’d be mid table at best.

They should be counting their blessings they scraped all those wins (thanks to Kane) earlier in the season, because I’d rather play them than a lot of teams lower in the league.
100% agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here