Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Special Buses: Negotiations Ongoing with Alternative Bus Co + "supporter contributiion"

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Anyway the fact of the matter is that the Club have completely misled supporters who, when renewing their Season Tickets, were under the impression that part of the cost of the tickets were designed to cover travel costs.

For those of us who live no where near a train station in Shoreham, Rottingdean, Saltdean, Peacehaven or Mile Oak, it's going to be a nightmare to get to and from games...

What a complete and utter shambles

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As someone who has only ever used the trains can someone offer a brief outline of what services are apparently being cut and where they run from?

Ta.

Regular "free" buses to the stadium and back again. They run, or used to run for about 2.5 hours leading up to the game.

S Bus was from Shoreham through Hangleton and Withdean to the Amex
R Bus was from Hangleton through Withdean to the Amex
P Bus was from Portslade to the Amex
R Bus was from Rottingdean to the Amex

ALL were VERY well used !

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Re: No special buses this season

Regular "free" buses to the stadium and back again. They run, or used to run for about 2.5 hours leading up to the game.

S Bus was from Shoreham through Hangleton and Withdean to the Amex
R Bus was from Hangleton through Withdean to the Amex
P Bus was from Portslade to the Amex
R Bus was from Rottingdean to the Amex

ALL were VERY well used !

Cheers. Here's hoping this is an oversight then.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

This Is where having 23000 sth is huge benefit to the club. If people don't bother with midweek games due to travel issues what do they care?

...or am I being a bit miserable!!

They care, less match day expenditure......I am seeing a bit of a crisis looming here, if the club can't or won't assist the fans in getting to games, I agree with the posters above, crowds will drop dramatically.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I sincerely hope the club hasn't looked at the forthcoming additional rail capacity between Brighton and Falmer and thought it could get away with scrapping some of the bus routes.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
8 million loss a year is a crisis:ffsparr: what don't you guys get?:shootself

Errr maybe telling customers BEFORE they pay for their season ticket ( with travel supplement ) that the service they've come to rely on won't be available ?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
No special buses this season

It is definitely going to at least double my travel time to the ground. I know they need to save money but I can only see it costing £100 or so to hire each bus and I think they probably use about 15 buses in total per match. Therefore, only a small saving which will end up causing a massive inconvenience for at least a couple of thousand people.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I sincerely hope the club hasn't looked at the forthcoming additional rail capacity between Brighton and Falmer and thought it could get away with scrapping some of the bus routes.

That won't be completed for a long time. Involves major signaling work etc.

Scrapping these services is a disgraceful and short sighted move by the club that has the potential for chaos. Totally dishonest of the club not to tell supporters of this, but instead letting it leak out via B & H Buses.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This is getting ridiculous now, finding out after we've bought tickets that no transport for the Newport game, now finding out from the bus company about the buses. [edit] the club completely has lost it?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

8 million loss a year is a crisis:ffsparr: what don't you guys get?:shootself

Chicken and egg mate.......you can't resolve the effin finance issues by making it effin impossible for fans to attend......this decision could escalate the crisis.....that's what I get.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004

Especially as the work won't be finished until next Spring!

I would hazard a guess that at least 4-5k people use the Special buses on a match to match basis. However, many of those are people with younger children or our older supporters...Neither of which will want to travel by train when we play the likes of Millwall.

If people can't get to the games, then that could mean upto £30 in lost revenue...sometimes more, especially if people have gone without eating at home.

I think this may be a bit of a cock up and whatever has happened the person/people who made these decision clearly hasn't thought through the losses to the club in the long run.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How many people use the Special Buses? Its certainly nowhere remotely near 15k

Not sure but the club have said in the past that they were very well used. Every time I took one it was always busy. 15k seems well over the top though.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Especially as the work won't be finished until next Spring!

I would hazard a guess that at least 4-5k people use the Special buses on a match to match basis. However, many of those are people with younger children or our older supporters...Neither of which will want to travel by train when we play the likes of Millwall.

If people can't get to the games, then that could mean upto £30 in lost revenue...sometimes more, especially if people have gone without eating at home.

I think this may be a bit of a cock up and whatever has happened the person/people who made these decision clearly hasn't thought through the losses to the club in the long run.

I've tried the trains once by myself - there is no way I'll be taking my young children to the Amex on the train. The buses worked perfectly - guess me and my kids won't be going very often next season ( if at all ).

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
Not sure but the club have said in the past that they were very well used. Every time I took one it was always busy. 15k seems well over the top though.

Sorry that's been taken out of context. I was working on the basis, that the improvements to Falmer station would result in some matches where the station would not be accessible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here