Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Special Buses: Negotiations Ongoing with Alternative Bus Co + "supporter contributiion"

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I live in Hove, but I have to pick my little one up from Lancing. Up untill Christmas I drove and parked up near Moulscoombe Leisure Center and walk the 30 minute or so. After Christmas we decided to take the train.

I refuse to pay to park outside my own house, so I park 10 mins walk down the road from where I live, so I believe I wouldn't pay the extra. At the same time I wouldn't hesitate to take the longer cheaper route.
So there you go no extra cost for you then, lucky boy, now if you lived in Woodingdean you face another £150 on top of what you pay now for you and the boy'
Oh and by the way, buses to and from Brighton in my part of Woodingdean are every 30 minutes in the evening. What time will I have to leave and what time will I get home? remembering I still have to get other transport to and from the Amex to Brighton

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As you have said,that's fine on lovely autumn or spring days when you can take a stroll to matches. Unfortunately in the middle of winter with two children in tow, that's unrealistic

There's a direct road to the stadium and it's within easy cycling distance (with, I believe, a cycle/pedestrian path from Woodingdean on the way). I agree that for those with very young children it's not going to be an option but it's a quick journey for the rest

You tw*t I am 70 years old will you come and bike it wih me and just for your information it is only about 100 yads completed.

Quite right. I should have said it's not an option for those with young children, in poor health or are disabled, but it's a quick journey for the rest.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
There's a direct road to the stadium and it's within easy cycling distance (with, I believe, a cycle/pedestrian path from Woodingdean on the way). I agree that for those with very young children it's not going to be an option but it's a quick journey for the rest

Quite right. I should have said it's not an option for those with young children, in poor health or are disabled, but it's a quick journey for the rest.
Again you forgot to add most of those walks would be in complete darkness, not a very safe thing to do walking home in that.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
That may be so BUT the club need to be careful. Last season I took my two sons to a few matches and used the H bus. Five minute walk to the stop and in less than 30 minutes we were inside the stadium. We would then buy some drinks and sweets. That service will cost me an additional £14 this coming season. There is no way I'm dragging them across town for 1.5 hours on a B&H bus ( and I'd need to change buses half way ) and then do it again after the match.

We went about 4 times last season - at that extra cost we won't be this season. Even if we go twice that will mean a loss in ticket revenue of around £100 and a loss in food / drink of around £30. Now I know that's small in the big scheme of things but I doubt I'm the only one who will cut back this coming season. The special buses made the experience easy and affordable. The club need to balance making savings with revenue that they will now lose. It's easy for me as a non-STH - I can decide to buy tickets or decide not to bother with the hassle and extra costs this season. It's the STH's I feel sorry for as they've already invested a lot of money and now either need spend yet more money or make their match day experience more of a hassle and less enjoyable.

EDIT - in addition I went to most evening matches by myself and had my tea ( beer and a pint) at the stadium. I'll continue to go to evening matches and will begrudgingly pay for a special bus but instead of spending money at the stadium I'll eat at home before hand and maybe have a couple of pints at the Grenadier.

I agree they have to be very careful,it seems we are nearing saturation point with what the cub can get out of the fans. Hopefully Barber sees this too.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This doesn't make any sense. Far being no acceptance that the private car should be a major component of a transport strategy. we've had 60-odd years where the private car has been the only major component of a transport strategy. It's only in the last couple of years has this begun to change as planners and politicians alike are grasping the idea that towns and cities have to consider other forms of transport. The architect Richard Rogers was speaking only this week about his prediction that cars will be banned from all cities within 20 years.

Whether that's far-fetched or not, the political consensus by all parties is that there should be restrictions on urban private car use so a 5000-space car park would have no chance of getting through a planning process, regardless of which party was in power.
I would agree with you - if the Amex were in a city centre. I also agree (and said so) that there was no chance of a car park being approved. The irritating reason though is that the car park wouldn't be turned down on logistical reasons but simply because of the current, overriding view that cars are 'bad' regardless of the circumstances and should be discouraged.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You tw*t I am 70 years old will you come and bike it wih me and just for your information it is only about 100 yads completed.

You'll be the fittest 70 year old in town come the end of this season!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What I don't understand is that fans from around sussex have been paying for Seagulls travel for 2 years without a free service. Now some of the extra free services provided by the club are being withdraw and replaced by Seagulls travel, but people on these routes don't want to pay for them.

I'm struggling not to miss the point I guess.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
What I don't understand is that fans from around sussex have been paying for Seagulls travel for 2 years without a free service. Now some of the extra free services provided by the club are being withdraw and replaced by Seagulls travel, but people on these routes don't want to pay for them.

I'm struggling not to miss the point I guess.

I think the problem as I see it is, that we have only been told about this after buying our season tickets and after paying in that ticket an increased transport levy.
The fair ting to do, is have no transport levy and everyone pay their own travel costs from wherever they are from. As you say, not some pay this extra money and others still benefit from free travel.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Special Buses: Negotiations Ongoing with Alternative Bus Co + "supporter contri

Does anyone know when the pathway from Woodingdean to Falmer is going to be completed?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Let me try to explain the way I see things.

All season ticket holders paid an increase in transport levy and if you live on a main Brighton bus or train route that goes to the ground then that is all you pay.
But if you live in Rottingdean, Ovingdean and Woodingdean (for example) where there is no direct transport link by either bus or train you will now have to pay a further £76 on top of this years increase levy, for approximately 3-4 miles travel. If you live near Worthing, Haywards Heath or Lewes station, ( for example) all above the three miles, there is no extra charge.

The subsided zone only extends to Shoreham going west.

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
Speaking from experience and having spoken to people in charge of the buses, the club massively underestimated the popularity of the R route in the first season. They were also very slow to rectify it.

Last season they finally set up two different queues for the R and the S bus, meaning an end to the push-and-shovery which had become common place. Still too few buses on though. Often, as someone who did not leave early and was sitting in the Upper West, I would still be waiting to get a bus just under an hour after the match had ended, having gone straight to the back of the line upon the final whistle. There were also incidents of people en route to the match having to get off the bus in Woodingdean, walk up the hill, and get back on because the buses used could not cope with the hill on Bexhill Road.

I cannot believe for one second the club thinks it is sensible to remove that route altogether.

I had to get off the R bus twice last season (along with a number of others) so that it get up the hill. I suggested to the club (which ignored me - I think because I had already complained twice about the ages of the R buses that were laid on :) ) that they should have one bus route running to Rottingdean and ignoring Woodingdean and another bus doing Woodingdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here