Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Some Palace Fans Think The Rivalry is Over

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Great thread with some amusing but honest responses about Glenn Murray. They are hurting real bad....

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=278380&page=2

I love this:
Screenshot 2019-03-10 at 09.22.47.png

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
The more recent and younger Palace and BHA fans won't know or understand the reasons why...it will meander on with the older lot, and be resigned to history at some point in time...Most of the players are even too young to know exactly why, but will I'm sure have had it explained to them..The personal nature of the rivalry will not be there for many soon...

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I do t know about dead but that was the flattest “rivals” game I think I’ve ever been to. No buzz in the palace end before during or real anger afterwards.

The palace players obviously don’t get it and it showed.

About 6 of us went down to watch East Grinstead v Hythe and we all just shrugged our shoulders at went oh well another home defeat and enjoyed a second half of Bostick south football.

Now I am off to watch Dormansland v Caterham in the semi
Final of the Surrey cup.

Anyway I digress ... it could be the 12.30 KO or the fact that survival in the premier league is given higher priority, it was just
All a bit Meh... which is a shame especially as the crowd against Man U was a lot better ??

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Pundits like Gary Linekar promoted the term last season, because their lack of football knowledge outside the PL holds no bounds and they just picked up ignorant sound bites and went with them when we played Palace for the first time in the top flight since the early 80s. Oh, and it’s the A23 if anything Gary. Prick. But he’s only one of many ‘experts’ who’ve only just heard about our rivalry. Finally the media seem to be catching up with both sets of supporters.

To be fair to Jonathan Pearce, he said it should be A23 and that both sets of supporters hated the term.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The more recent and younger Palace and BHA fans won't know or understand the reasons why...it will meander on with the older lot, and be resigned to history at some point in time...Most of the players are even too young to know exactly why, but will I'm sure have had it explained to them..The personal nature of the rivalry will not be there for many soon...

Nah, it will pass down the generations. This is my sons big game of the season

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To be pedantic Trig, it's the first time in they're history it's happened (2010)
You're going to wipe out the last 7 doubles we've had over them? :eek:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Yep, my sons, aged 18 and 15 are well up for the rivalry. There is a bible proverb I was taught when I was younger relating to this. It's a good quote: 'Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.'

I doubt that our rivalry was exactly what the writer intended a few thousand years ago but it fits well. :)

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

But I think we're in the minority though to be honest..our son is 13 and whilst he gets it and knows how big it is, its not the first thought in his mind when Palarse rolls around, possibly because none of his mates (local born and raised) are Brighton fans...They support Chelski, Manure and are watching Bayern and etc. so he doesn't have other mates who "get it" either to discuss it with...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This. My son’s 12 and really dislikes Palace. He was running round the front room like a looney when the second went in and keeps begging me to do more away days so we both have enough points for Selhurst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But I think we're in the minority though to be honest..our son is 13 and whilst he gets it and knows how big it is, its not the first thought in his mind when Palarse rolls around, possibly because none of his mates (local born and raised) are Brighton fans...They support Chelski, Manure and are watching Bayern and etc. so he doesn't have other mates who "get it" either to discuss it with...

But it was always such. I was at school in the 70's and early 80's and the rivalry really kicked off then. But most of my mates were not Brighton but plastics who just enjoyed football and associated themselves with leading clubs to feed their ego. Most the kids who went to the matches did get it though.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

I get that and I have a friend who doesn’t care about the rivalry. We’re all different.

We are in a similar place to you, both boys born and raised in north London and the one who cares about football is an avid Albion fan. His mates are all the big clubs. He was vaguely amused by the rivally when he was younger but is now 19 and loves it. By the way, I say all this in the spirit it’s meant, a healthy rivally, not the Neanderthal version. It’s what football needs, it needs the passion even more now as the EPL seeks to sanitise the game.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I get that and I have a friend who doesn’t care about the rivalry. We’re all different.

We are in a similar place to you, both boys born and raised in north London and the one who cares about football is an avid Albion fan. His mates are all the big clubs. He was vaguely amused by the rivally when he was younger but is now 19 and loves it. By the way, I say all this in the spirit it’s meant, a healthy rivally, not the Neanderthal version. It’s what football needs, it needs the passion even more now as the EPL seeks to sanitise the game.

Good point re the healthy part, the Neanderthal version is not what we are attempting to instill in our son, whilst to a certain extent I understand it and have seen it, that side needs to wither and die and whilst you speak of sanitising as a distatesful thing and some respects I agree (standing / sitting) the thug side can go, from my perspective......

The age point you make is interesting, hopefully it goes the same way as our son gets older too...

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
It's not over at all. They're just sulking, 'it's my ball and i'm going home' sort of thing. The full horror of the match is still sinking in, all the things they hate us for, all the nightmare scenarios came true in that 90 mins. Out foxed by Murray, for his 100th, and then sunk by the man they slate as our "French Messi", with a goal that Messi himself would be proud of. Clinging onto the delusional 'wind helped Murray' and 'Ak should have been red carded' etc etc etc. BBS in meltdown, the Holmesdale watching in wretched misery as our lads celebrate like we'd won the FA cup. No wonder they feel like levelling Selhurst and putting up an ice rink instead.

Still, they've always got 2013 to console themselves. Bless.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This. My son’s 12 and really dislikes Palace. He was running round the front room like a looney when the second went in and keeps begging me to do more away days so we both have enough points for Selhurst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My son is also 12 and went completely hatstand mental when AK scored (as did I).

Best thing was, I took him to a mate's birthday party later on and one of the other lads there is Palace (they'd been messaging each other on Instagram during the match).

I spoke to his mum who said she's the only non Palace fan in their house. "So you're the Brighton fan? My lot are all gutted but well done!" I don't think she's into football. [emoji23]

Not sure what the chances are of two lads in Sheffield who are friends being Brighton and Palace but they certainly get the rivalry!

The funny thing (well one of them) about that Palace thread is that they start off going on about Brighton fans being "weird" or supporting Chelsea and then go on to moan about the atmosphere at their hovel being awful, loads of plastic day trippers, being told off for swearing and everyone leaving early.

Knobs.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The rivalry is over (unless we meet in the cup) until at least August and Palace have to live with us doing the double over them. :smile:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Who would have thought that the 'cry in a minute' chant was going to extend to some of their fans then?

Maybe I don't understand what a rivalry entails? Bragging rights, banter with no violence or fear of violence. Not quite boxing trash talk with cuddles after a bout but a lively build up, feisty game and atmosphere with either joy or grumpiness afterwards.

In the Amex era, we arguably held the bragging rights between Paddy's Day and the second play off semi. After the double yesterday, they are ours again but not forever. Not sure them knocking us out of the cup this year would undo that, but maybe them winning it would.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here