Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Some Palace Fans Think The Rivalry is Over

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I enjoyed our win over Manchester United this season, I have a lot of friends who are plastic Utd fans, the wins over Huddersfield have probably been our most important wins, coming when they did in the season, the win against Everton was very satisfying after their lucky draw last season, but, the results that have made my heart sing this season have been the 2 wins against Palace. I don’t think I would swop them for an FA Cup Final win.

That’s what it means to me.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I enjoyed our win over Manchester United this season, I have a lot of friends who are plastic Utd fans, the wins over Huddersfield have probably been our most important wins, coming when they did in the season, the win against Everton was very satisfying after their lucky draw last season, but, the results that have made my heart sing this season have been the 2 wins against Palace. I don’t think I would swop them for an FA Cup Final win.

That’s what it means to me.

As I walked out the ground yesterday I thought I don't really mind if we mess up next Sunday, I might of course change my mind but having witnessed so many defeats over the years at Selhurst (I wasn't there for the 0.1) it felt so good that we had done them home and away

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Footballing rivalries are never "won". I expect a fair few Liverpool fans thought their rivalry was "won" when they won their 18th league title, suddenly now Man Utd have 20 I expect very few of those same fans think it's over in favour of the other ones.

If you don't subscribe to it being a derby or really get into it that way then fine, that's your choice. But every single one of those who claim they won it is quietly seething and trying to play it cool. And failing. Badly.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I don't often waste precious time on the CPFC board, but obviously today is an exception! And I thought this post (in the thread about the rivalry) was interesting:

Having had a day to digest this, my opinion is that yes for the club and in particular Roy the rivalry appears to mean absolutely nothing. Roy said this himself before the first fixture last season and then backtracked somewhat when he faced some criticism for it. Barring Wilf there is no logical reason why any of the first team would give a **** about Brighton let’s face it. For me crunch games against your rivals are what makes football so special but maybe that’s just my outdated romantic notion of football. However looking at the situation completely objectively, it’s very clear that the rivalry does mean a lot to the Brighton set-up - that was pretty clear from their celebrations at the whistle - they looked like a non league side that had just won at the etihad . They are a poor side - 1 win in 2019 before yesterday (1 0 in the dying minutes at home to Huddersfield) and yet twice this season they have outsmarted us tactically and trumped us for passion on the pitch - the result being that instead of them being in the relegation zone, they are now going to survive another year in this league, and rather than us being midtable we are level on points with them.

So can I suggest that whatever people want to say about the rivalry being dead, we start taking it seriously - unless we want to forfeit 6 points every season to a shite side. If Roy wants to take all the passion out of the rivalry and not get the players effectively prepared for what is always a fierce game then perhaps we need to seriously consider doing that job for him and having a thousand fans waiting for the players to arrive before the game with a ******* drum and some pyrotechnics (joking about the pyro before anyone wets themself).

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The whole concept of football rivalry has changed... for the better.

In previous decades, numerous fans of clubs literally hated each other, wanted to physically harm other fans just because of who they support, and frequently did just that.

These days the rivalries are stronger than ever, but in a completely different way. They are no longer about anger & violence, but now exist in the form of banter and one-upmanship - which we experiencing right now... and it's great, harmless fun.

We will always "hate" Palace and they will always "hate" us, but of course we don't actually hate them. If any person actually hates another club they probably have a screw loose, or even worse if they want to cause violence against the fans of other clubs they should be locked up. Instead, we will always look out for each others clubs pursuing schadenfreude, so we can take the piss out of them, and marvel in our superiority over them. The fixtures will always be memorable and electric, will make us buzz when we win and make us feel rotten when we lose.

Us and Palace have history - history is what football is all about. The new generations enjoy the rivalry, the older generations remember why it exists, and the media will never let it drop. For those reasons, the rivalry is going nowhere... and it's a good thing too, as supporting the Albion would be that bit duller without it.

Getting walloped with a pool cue in Havant by a Six on one “crew” of Pompey means I hate them. Oh yes. And my mates company car getting trashed in the same incident doesn’t help.

Being serenaded with a long list of gay anthems like “I am what I am” and “freedom” by the P.A announcer at Cardiff after getting thrashed doesn’t fill me with love either but I can live with it. For all of the scraps, scrapes, kickings and playful assaults either recieved or administered loom large in the memory. And I love it. All of it. I wouldn’t change a thing. Imagine the sterile feeling you get following Rugby...no element of fear, no casual violence or battle scars to be had. I’m now a respectable bloke. Kids, mortgage, pension fund etc. But once....

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I don't often waste precious time on the CPFC board, but obviously today is an exception! And I thought this post (in the thread about the rivalry) was interesting:

Having had a day to digest this, my opinion is that yes for the club and in particular Roy the rivalry appears to mean absolutely nothing. Roy said this himself before the first fixture last season and then backtracked somewhat when he faced some criticism for it. Barring Wilf there is no logical reason why any of the first team would give a **** about Brighton let’s face it. For me crunch games against your rivals are what makes football so special but maybe that’s just my outdated romantic notion of football. However looking at the situation completely objectively, it’s very clear that the rivalry does mean a lot to the Brighton set-up - that was pretty clear from their celebrations at the whistle - they looked like a non league side that had just won at the etihad . They are a poor side - 1 win in 2019 before yesterday (1 0 in the dying minutes at home to Huddersfield) and yet twice this season they have outsmarted us tactically and trumped us for passion on the pitch - the result being that instead of them being in the relegation zone, they are now going to survive another year in this league, and rather than us being midtable we are level on points with them.

So can I suggest that whatever people want to say about the rivalry being dead, we start taking it seriously - unless we want to forfeit 6 points every season to a shite side. If Roy wants to take all the passion out of the rivalry and not get the players effectively prepared for what is always a fierce game then perhaps we need to seriously consider doing that job for him and having a thousand fans waiting for the players to arrive before the game with a ******* drum and some pyrotechnics (joking about the pyro before anyone wets themself).

This Palace post is everything that is wrong with them. They now consider themselves to be so superior to us on th pitch, we are “
Like a non league team at the Etihad’ when we celebrate against them.
They should look at their own deficiencies, a home record as bad as our away record, a 30 million pound striker who isn’t good enough to be in their first team, everything going through one player, and if he has an off day, which happens often, they haven’t got any ideas.We may not be the most skilful team in the League, but, by God, our team care.
Palace are an overrated raggle taggle collection of mercenaries, who don’t appear to give a toss for their teammates, their club, or their fans.

They deserve each other.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This Palace post is everything that is wrong with them. They now consider themselves to be so superior to us on th pitch, we are “
Like a non league team at the Etihad’ when we celebrate against them.
They should look at their own deficiencies, a home record as bad as our away record, a 30 million pound striker who isn’t good enough to be in their first team, everything going through one player, and if he has an off day, which happens often, they haven’t got any ideas.We may not be the most skilful team in the League, but, by God, our team care.
Palace are an overrated raggle taggle collection of mercenaries, who don’t appear to give a toss for their teammates, their club, or their fans.

They deserve each other.

Absolutely. 33 points each this season says there's nothing between us - oh, except it would be 39 - 27 if the head to head went the other way :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Luckily six easy points off a side that can hit on the break but do not have a clue at home and every single rational sign suggesting we will be in the ascendency over them in the next few years. No wonder they want to go back to being rivals with Millwall.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The whole concept of football rivalry has changed... for the better.

In previous decades, numerous fans of clubs literally hated each other, wanted to physically harm other fans just because of who they support, and frequently did just that.

These days the rivalries are stronger than ever, but in a completely different way. They are no longer about anger & violence, but now exist in the form of banter and one-upmanship - which we experiencing right now... and it's great, harmless fun.

We will always "hate" Palace and they will always "hate" us, but of course we don't actually hate them. If any person actually hates another club they probably have a screw loose, or even worse if they want to cause violence against the fans of other clubs they should be locked up. Instead, we will always look out for each others clubs pursuing schadenfreude, so we can take the piss out of them, and marvel in our superiority over them. The fixtures will always be memorable and electric, will make us buzz when we win and make us feel rotten when we lose.

Us and Palace have history - history is what football is all about. The new generations enjoy the rivalry, the older generations remember why it exists, and the media will never let it drop. For those reasons, the rivalry is going nowhere... and it's a good thing too, as supporting the Albion would be that bit duller without it.

@PPF will be spinning his darkened little room.......

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

That post is patronising beyond belief....’non league side that had won at the Etihad’ ?? If they’d have won yesterday the ground would have been full at the end, with drum-w*nker and his acne-ridden acolytes bellowing their Euro-chants down the Sky microphones. As it was, there were just a few hundred left in the Holmesdale as Lewis ran all the way along shouting ‘f*****g get in !’.

And as for us being a shite side, I assume he didn’t watch anything of Tomkins yesterday (amongst others).

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Oh, who are they trying to kid? Of course it matters.

After full time yesterday my phone went berserk. Messages from my brother. Messages from my daughter, who's studying on the other side of the country these days. Messages from my friends. Messages from my Dad and he's a little wrapped up having chemo right now. We all get it.

They'll rediscover their love of the rivalry when they finally beat us. In the meantime, they can jog on.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not sure anyone has noticed, but I did point this out yesterday: all the posts on the Palace board proclaiming no rivalry are written by people almost all of whom are well below age 30 who, of course, have barely encountered a game with us, know nothing of Boxing Day, and think Fiona Richmond is probably a former newscaster.....

The rivalry means something for the old. NSC posters are old.

We may as well be mocking them for not liking Iggy Pop, The Comsat Angels, joss sticks and Pan's People :shrug:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Going by Palace giving the "bantz verbals" on the way back to the station and the Palace at East Croydon station after (yes you dont have to get on a specific train because the police "instruct" you) who were mostly in their 20`s and livid, i would say the rivalry is strong and healthy even amongst the younger generation, and they were f###ing fuming we had turned them over at their place.........it matters to them as much as it matters to us.
We have bragging rights for now............time to milk it..........wont last forever.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It’s sad fact ,for both clubs, that o one else will have us. Palace are by far and away the least fashionable outfit in London (and yes, I’m including Charlton and Brentford in that) and we have no other teams near enough to care about. Bournemouth are desperately trying to take Pompeys’ berth as Southampton’s rivals (ain’t gonna happen) so remain derbyless.

Palace fans are universally sneered at by everyone from Millwall to Dagenham. No. They’re stuck with us, and us them.

Not sure anyone has noticed, but I did point this out yesterday: all the posts on the Palace board proclaiming no rivalry are written by people almost all of whom are well below age 30 who, of course, have barely encountered a game with us, know nothing of Boxing Day, and think Fiona Richmond is probably a former newscaster.....

The rivalry means something for the old. NSC posters are old.

We may as well be mocking them for not liking Iggy Pop, The Comsat Angels, joss sticks and Pan's People :shrug:

Recall more trouble at our fixtures that weren't on boxing day tbh, by the time the boxing day fixture came in it was simmering down. IMHO

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Recall more trouble at our fixtures that weren't on boxing day tbh, by the time the boxing day fixture came in it was simmering down. IMHO

Indeed. My point was that the youngsters on the palarse board who don't get the rivalry weren't born when the rivalry was keen, and would know that Rachid Harkouk was even a footballer, let alone who he played for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here