Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some achingly beautiful modern classical piano pieces

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
My life was until I was about 19 was all piano, between 2 and 4 hours a day, will get back to it someday soon....

Heres something I'm struggling through at the moment....its an 8th grade peice I should be able to play backwards but I just can't...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cectrAqFSZQ

Sorry I don't know how to make it come up like you do above....

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My life was until I was about 19 was all piano, between 2 and 4 hours a day, will get back to it someday soon....

Heres something I'm struggling through at the moment....its an 8th grade peice I should be able to play backwards but I just can't...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cectrAqFSZQ

Sorry I don't know how to make it come up like you do above....

I gave up piano when I was 15- really wish I hadn't. I have been thinking about buying an electric piano and getting some lessons just for fun, and to have some creative outlet...never be able to play anything like that though, consider me jealous.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I gave up piano when I was 15- really wish I hadn't. I have been thinking about buying an electric piano and getting some lessons just for fun, and to have some creative outlet...never be able to play anything like that though, consider me jealous.

Go on and do it - you know it'll be hard but a real personal achievement, until very recently I played very rarely and it was only our 4 year old showing some interest in our piano that made me realize that I'd stopped doing something I love...got to get back in practice, I'm not a shadow of where I was when I finished 8th grade, but I did it once...I can do it again...

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
[yt]y8j21Xya-sQ&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]l_i1Vp4A3Ec[/yt]

[yt]1FzVWlOKeLs&a=e6tZ8zh6d5c&playnext_from=ML[/yt]

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ahh...TLO, if we're going back in time then I'm with Dave on picking Mozart as the master.

This is without doubt my all time favourite piano concerto. I could quite happily listen to this forever

[yt]df-eLzao63I[/yt]

EDIT - but yes, Gymnopedie is exquisite. Sounds so fragile, I know it sounds wanky to say this but to me it's as if it's like a baby learning to walk - each note unsure if the next is going to fall over and crash.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Slush pots? I'll give you slush pot. This is guaranteed to make anyone of a certain age blub like a baby. Sunday afternoon viewing never got sadder.

[yt]Vh_xHdNBHrg[/yt]

Genuinely, this is incredible IMO.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Got to be worth bouncing this thread purely for this absolutely wonderful track

[yt]bf47nn7ovZI[/yt]

Never heard of it before and so pleased you mentioned it. :thumbsup:

Thanks for digging out a version of this on youtube Buzzer, as I could never find it on there. :thumbsup:

By way of return. Something old, followed by something new.

[yt]dcm9X5kuehc[/yt]

[yt]nLkTfaWX5gk[/yt]

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'd like to bump this thread if I may with these compositions.

Goldmund - Evelyn
[yt]hIXIiQ0wiWA[/yt]

Deaf Center - Limn (not so easy going but well worth it IMO
[yt]r9hwF3LZWXM[/yt]

Max Richter - Embers
[yt]84yBioZZwf4[/yt]

Svarte Greiner - Final Sleep (not piano music but stick with it and hopefully you'll see why I added it)
[yt]_j3CSH_ZsTM[/yt]

Final one is Rameses III - I could not love you more. It's more post-rock violin and organ piece in a kind of Explosions in the Sky/Sigur Ros kind of way but still a great tune.
[yt]0Ysa8d5eUAg[/yt]

So much great music out there!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Amanda Palmer (ex of the Dresden Dolls) has done a ukelele version of Radiohead songs. She does a version of Creep in rehearsals where she holds THAT last note for about 20 seconds. It's just incredible (and apparently she was hungover to buggery from a heavy sesh the night before). I downloaded it illegally then felt compelled to buy the limited edition LP, it really is that good. She is just amazing. Great taste Mr B

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Amanda Palmer (ex of the Dresden Dolls) has done a ukelele version of Radiohead songs. She does a version of Creep in rehearsals where she holds THAT last note for about 20 seconds. It's just incredible (and apparently she was hungover to buggery from a heavy sesh the night before). I downloaded it illegally then felt compelled to buy the limited edition LP, it really is that good. She is just amazing. Great taste Mr B

Thanks mister. I went to see her twice in one day in London this summer, she is a divine deity and I want to die in her arms. I wasn't going to include any of her ukelele stuff because it's not strictly classical, and I'm not mad about the covers album (although the Dolls have just reformed, which makes me cry little fake tears of unlonely joy) but this is my favourite:

[YT]O54VQM_D_nU[/YT]

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Thanks mister. I went to see her twice in one day in London this summer, she is a divine deity and I want to die in her arms. I wasn't going to include any of her ukelele stuff because it's not strictly classical, and I'm not mad about the covers album (although the Dolls have just reformed, which makes me cry little fake tears of unlonely joy) but this is my favourite:

[YT]O54VQM_D_nU[/YT]

Cannot believe the grief her record company gave her for showing some tummy in THAT video. Was it the Leeds Utd one? Her voice is amazing. Simply divine.

I'm also currently in love with several girl bands (posted on that current fave band thread).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here