Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some achingly beautiful modern classical piano pieces

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think classical is often defined as instrumental, probably depends as to your viewpoint of rigidity in music genres. But genres have mainly been used by record labels to sell music to the general public- so stick it to them, man!

Really the general consensus of this thread is to post any musical piece that moves you. You don't have to be a music snob to take part, I think everyone has a song that moves them- although my love of classical piano pieces does issue a selfish element in that I want more of those!

I wonder if anyone could find a beautiful solo piece by a saxophone too?

Apologies for going off topic on a piano thread but just one post to answer the sax query. Not solo's but a couple of timeless sax led classics here, and I don't use the word classics lightly. No apologies for the length of the pieces, you wouldn't turn up to a western classical music concert and expect three minute pop songs and jazz is no different - these are classical compositons.

First up Pharoah Sanders' simply stunning - The Creator Has a Master Plan.

[yt]13L6sjk080c[/yt]
[yt]EO9N9TU4uKk[/yt]
[yt]kHZyxpOAx-Q[/yt]

It'd be foolish to talk about sax and NOT include this :

[yt]35LPO0-K2_k[/yt]

Finally, something very short but sweet (it cuts off half way through here) if you're not into jazz. This is legendary reggae sax man Dean Fraser's version of Bunny Wailer's - Dreamland.

[yt]WTjrVLFV_Qw[/yt]

Meanwhile, if anyone can find Courtney Pine playing We Three Kings then I'd really appreciate it being posted.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Apologies for going off topic on a piano thread but just one post to answer the sax query. Not solo's but a couple of timeless sax led classics here, and I don't use the word classics lightly. No apologies for the length of the pieces, you wouldn't turn up to a western classical music concert and expect three minute pop songs and jazz is no different - these are classical compositons.

First up Pharoah Sanders' simply stunning - The Creator Has a Master Plan.

[yt]13L6sjk080c[/yt]
[yt]EO9N9TU4uKk[/yt]
[yt]kHZyxpOAx-Q[/yt]

It'd be foolish to talk about sax and NOT include this :

[yt]35LPO0-K2_k[/yt]

Finally, something very short but sweet (it cuts off half way through here) if you're not into jazz. This is legendary reggae sax man Dean Fraser's version of Bunny Wailer's - Dreamland.

[yt]WTjrVLFV_Qw[/yt]

Meanwhile, if anyone can find Courtney Pine playing We Three Kings then I'd really appreciate it being posted.

Thank you, very very impressive

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just heard this minute on KCRW Eclectic 24. ( See internet radio thread)

'tis lovely. It's simply called - Waltz

[yt]vGJQfwvx01A[/yt]

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ooh. I like that a lot. I'll return with some Icelandic pianists. Olafar Arnalds recorded the Living Room Sessions earlier this year (in his living room funnily enough) and it's all available as free downloads. This is one of the tunes and he dedicated it to his grandmother.

[yt]Fyxu3LLwSV4[/yt]

And this is Sunna Gunnlaugs who is better known as a jazz pianist as this shows but it's still a lovely composition I think

[yt]7gTdEk_BMgc[/yt]

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
...and this tune, out earlier this month on the album 'The Side of her Inexhaustible Heart' by Dakota Suite & Quentin Sirjacq is the epitome of beauty. I only heard about this album a few days ago and was thinking of this thread, as it happens. I have heard some of it and is a contender for album of the year for me. It's not all instrumentals but this is, so it goes in this thread.

[yt]ijX5bGBWfSs[/yt]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You've been having dinner with Fiona haven't you :) Particularly loving that Dakota Suite & Quentin Sirjacq piece.

It had me thinking....And you won't believe it, but someone's only gone and put Georgs' Pelecis' Nevertheless piece up on youtube in it's entirety !

[yt]YGclSMTx7Eg[/yt]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As piano pieces go, this one from Lubomyr Melnyk is pretty amazing I reckon. He calls his style of playing - "continuous music", and can apparently play up to 19 notes per second !

Apologies that this video goes silent for a few seconds around the 2min mark, but I still think it's worth posting.

[yt]Gk7ba-ponBs[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here