Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March - sings new contract June 2024

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
aaaagggghhhhhh!! the confidence argument again!

He doesn't lack ****ing confidence.
He's not a shrinking violet who runs scared when the nasty men in the crowd shout at him.

He's a premier league footballer FFS!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2

He's not a shrinking violet who runs scared when the nasty men in the crowd shout at him.

Bit lightweight still, as well. :wink:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

He looked pretty damn confident in some of his man of the match performances last season. Man Utd and away at Villa (capped by his stunning goal) come to mind.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

I think you maybe missing my point. I'm referring to him having confidence in his own ability. Nothing to do with whether he's put off by fans which is a ridiculous argument.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think you maybe missing my point. I'm referring to him having confidence in his own ability. Nothing to do with whether he's put off by fans which is a ridiculous argument.
I know what you mean...when he's on it, he's seemingly able to ghost past players - seen it plenty of times. He can also be a bit frustrating to watch, stopping and turning when a dribble past looks a better option. I do wonder if a lot of this is down to instructions rather than confidence though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Indeed, there have been countless instances over the years when he has shown what he can do, l can remember one such occasion back in our promotion season when he came off the bench with just a few minutes remaining, and the game seemingly lost, he ran the Birmingham defence ragged, provided the cross which led to Knocky's equaliser, and was the main protagonist in turning a 0-1 deficit into a 2-1 victory.

If he would just believe in himself a bit more he could become some player.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

No I haven't missed your point.
Both of the confidence tropes have been posted today.
I disagree with both.

My take on Solly is:
I think he is an exceptionally intelligent footballer who plays for the team.
He isn't AK trying to amaze people with his skills and tricks all the time.

He uses his skill and speed of thought to make small spaces to get crosses in.
Very similar to Pascal Groß.

He prefers to retain the ball rather than try something flashy that probably won't come off.
There is little point pinging in crosses, when there's nobody in the box ( all too common a problem for us post Muzza)

What makes you think he doubts his own ability?

have you watched the highlights reel I posted the other day.
If not take a look at it.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Indeed, there have been countless instances over the years when he has shown what he can do, l can remember one such occasion back in our promotion season when he came off the bench with just a few minutes remaining, and the game seemingly lost, he ran the Birmingham defence ragged, provided the cross which led to Knocky's equaliser, and was the main protagonist in turning a 0-1 deficit into a 2-1 victory.

If he would just believe in himself a bit more he could become some player.

He has become some player.
Just not the player you wanted him to become.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He should change his name by deed poll to Solly Marmite

I am a convert to marmite, used to think he was lightweight and shite now I really like him, as a wing bank, shite winger for the most part still though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Referring to him as a "boy" is obviously a recurring theme.

For a good reason l suspect.

Indeed, it's a joke about the fact that he has bulked up significantly and become far more of a physical presence than when he made his debut at 20, a couple of years ago. There is a good reason, it's called affectionate Irony :wink:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Well we'll just have to agree to differ l think. Footballers divide opion at the end of the day.

Yeah agreed.

My point is that at times he could tear up Championship defences, but not nearly as well as Knocky did.

Knocky had boundless belief, confidence and skill, but it wasn't enough at this level.
I don't believe that Solly had more skill or pace than Knocky did.
No reason to expect him to become a better winger (IMO)
But he is a much more intelligent player, who has carved out a very good career in the Premier League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here