Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March, local lad and Premier League star, is f***ing brilliant

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think you’re bang wrong there, to be honest.

I’ve been one of Solly March’s most vociferous ‘defenders’ over the years, both on here, and at the Amex, and this season he’s proven even the likes of me were UNDER-RATING him. He is every bit and more ‘as good as his defenders made out’.

That's not right though. I was a defender of Solly, and he's turned out to be BETTER than I made out.

This. I've been one of Solly's most vocal defenders over the years (he's a local lad FFS) but f***ing hell, he's better than even I thought :bowdown:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Love that.

Can’t imagine CH or GP giving a ditty to the cameras.

Must be great going to work when your boss is RDZ.
To be fair, CH had to compose himself off the field after his sideline antics week in, week out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just never saw the top top quality he is producing now

None of us saw that. His defenders weren't claiming that he was as good as he's become, they were simply saying he was at PL level and doing a decent job wherever his manager played him, whereas his doubters were saying he wasn't PL standard. They were wrong long before he hit his current level.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I'm just back from the Fatboy Slim gig. Solly was placed in the visuals with the great people in this world. I may have said it before but I love Solly. :love: Really pleased he's got a new contract, really annoyed that he (& others) haven't been given a second glance to get an England call up. But he's our Solly & he got a big cheer when his pic came up at the gig. (y)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm just back from the Fatboy Slim gig. Solly was placed in the visuals with the great people in this world. I may have said it before but I love Solly. :love: Really pleased he's got a new contract, really annoyed that he (& others) haven't been given a second glance to get an England call up. But he's our Solly & he got a big cheer when his pic came up at the gig. (y)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
None of us saw that. His defenders weren't claiming that he was as good as he's become, they were simply saying he was at PL level and doing a decent job wherever his manager played him, whereas his doubters were saying he wasn't PL standard. They were wrong long before he hit his current level.
Didn't Muzza go on record as saying March was technically the best player in the squad and 'did amazing things in training' or similar??

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
There are two main reasons for Solly’s form in my view. (I’ve never subscribed to the issue being belief)

1) He’s in the correct position. Potter wasted him at left wing back for years. Here he’s high up the pitch, able to stretch the play knowing he’s got Veltman behind him should things break down, which means he’s now free to try stuff.

2) He’s got options. We’re getting more players forward much more quickly now. Solly is now looking up and seeing actual choices. Before it was sling it in to Maupay or turn backwards. He’s a sensible bloke. He turned backwards

The reason I don’t think it’s to do with belief is because Solly is such a pragmatic player. Under Potter what would have been the point in trying to take on your man? Either you beat him and the next defender in the low block will get you, (or even if you get a cross in, the defence is formed) or you don’t and you’re exposed on the counter.
THIS!

although I will add that he may have lost the belief in his finishing ability, as a consequence of previous manager's reluctance to shoot and look for better options.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Two bastard injuries. Both ACLs have been repaired. I was there at Derby when their fans booed him whilst he was being stretchered off (and Calde having his broken nose treated) for his first ACL injury.
God that was awful being at Derby, - but this is why people criticise Solly, and have been on the fence for years - but they forget his dreadful injuries that kept him out for many months and also other injuries that kept him out for weeks at a time.

Every time he has been 100% fully fit, he has been exceptional and arguably the best player at the club.

We also have to remember how managers have never let him play consistently in one position. Precisely because he is so good.

I remember at Wolves away under Chris Hughton, him playing left wing back. It was excruciatingly hot - and he kept going at the same pace all game - in the away stand people were becoming dehydrated - Solly was still flying past teammates to track back.

Potter the tinker man, played Solly in SiX different positions and so along with injuries, it wasn’t surprising he wasn’t 100% confident or consistent.

But now, we have a decent manager, who fortunately doesn’t have a degree in psychology, improving Solly’s confidence to top level and playing him in one position consistently.

And along with Dunky, it’s just wonderful to have two local players that have played their hearts out for the Albion for so long.

Solly March is becoming an Albion legend - and it’s so well deserved.
People forget his England U21 appearances for England. (Under Southgate)
Without those consistent injuries and the fact that we have had some jokers as England managers, including the current plonker. Solly could have been an England regular .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here