Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March, local lad and Premier League star, is f***ing brilliant

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I don't think it's a case of "no shit" actually, because there are a lot of people on here who don't rate him full stop, rather than seeing he's a very good all round player, with a couple of specific issues (finishing and one-footedness).
You could say the same about any average PL player if they scored a load of goals people would take notice. It’s not going to happen for him unfortunately, it’s like Leicester Trossard showed him go across the keeper you score same position he goes near post and it gets saved.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You could say the same about any average PL player if they scored a load of goals people would take notice. It’s not going to happen for him unfortunately, it’s like Leicester Trossard showed him go across the keeper you score same position he goes near post and it gets saved.
The thread isn't about March being an average PL player, it's about him being poor enough to be dropped. I wouldn't argue with you that he's setting the world alight as an above average player, but then neither is he undeserving of a place in the side. Fact is one of England's best managers wanted him regularly in the team, and now a new manager does. That is evidence enough that within our squad he is worthy of his place and does contribute to the side. That doesn't make him infallible or immune from criticism, but then it doesn't mean he deserves ridiculous levels of criticism either.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think we would all agree that heading isn't Solly's strength, but he got it on target, to the side of the keeper, who was going the other way. All in all that goes down as a decent save, from an on-target header.
Now compare that with recent headers, from our main striker who is known to be "good in the air".
Brentford, Liverpool and Leeds last season. 2 straight at the keeper, and 1 off target when it was easier to score.
Solly's header wasn't even the worse than those, let alone the worst header ever.

Then there are the headers from corners, from our central defenders that routinely loop over the bar.
Worst headed attempt ever?
Not for me Clive.
That's mental. That header was easier to score than hit the keeper with. It's the easiest headed chance he will ever have and he didn't score. It was pathetic. I can't recall ever seeing such a poor header, I think that's the worst headed attempt on goal I've ever seen. It was easier to score.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
That's mental. That header was easier to score than hit the keeper with. It's the easiest headed chance he will ever have and he didn't score. It was pathetic. I can't recall ever seeing such a poor header, I think that's the worst headed attempt on goal I've ever seen. It was easier to score.
worse than this ?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's the absolute lack of conviction / confidence that Solly suffers from whenever he finds himself in a scoring position that always gets me. He just seems to freeze. Not sure that's ever going to change now
I don't think he freezes, as such, because he nearly always gets a shot off.
I think he overthinks it and chooses the higher percentage option.
He rarely snatches and mishits a shot, but often gives the keeper time to save.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

You clearly haven't watched it back. it didn't hit the keeper, you're thinking of Webster's early chance against Liverpool.
Solly's header forced the keeper into a "sensational save" https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/12720712/sensational-save-from-raya admittedly overkill from Sky there, he stuck out a hand and got lucky, but it was a save, nonetheless.

I agree Solly will be disappointed and could have done better, but he did far better than the minimum requirement, (hit the keeper)
It's just the hyperbole you use is unwarranted.

Welbeck has made a mess of several similar chances recently.
Against Leeds it was easier to score, the keeper was out of position, the goal at his mercy and he MISSED THE TARGET.
That's inexcusable, but barely gets a mention.

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
You clearly haven't watched it back. it didn't hit the keeper, you're thinking of Webster's early chance against Liverpool.
Solly's header forced the keeper into a "sensational save" https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/12720712/sensational-save-from-raya admittedly overkill from Sky there, he stuck out a hand and got lucky, but it was a save, nonetheless.

I agree Solly will be disappointed and could have done better, but he did far better than the minimum requirement, (hit the keeper)
It's just the hyperbole you use is unwarranted.

Welbeck has made a mess of several similar chances recently.
Against Leeds it was easier to score, the keeper was out of position, the goal at his mercy and he MISSED THE TARGET.
That's inexcusable, but barely gets a mention.
No, I don't agree. It's a rubbish header from the simplest chance imaginable.

Welbeck's headers have been poor and he should have buried at least two of them this season already. But they weren't from within a couple of yards with a whole goal in front of him and he managed to hit the keeper. The keeper existing was all he did in order to make a save. He did make an excellent save later on from Dunk (I think) which would have been offside anyway, but the March one was infuriating how poor a miss it was.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
No, I don't agree. It's a rubbish header from the simplest chance imaginable.

Welbeck's headers have been poor and he should have buried at least two of them this season already. But they weren't from within a couple of yards with a whole goal in front of him and he managed to hit the keeper. The keeper existing was all he did in order to make a save. He did make an excellent save later on from Dunk (I think) which would have been offside anyway, but the March one was infuriating how poor a miss it was.
Yes they were.
I appreciate you've made your mind up.
But seriously take a look back at the extended highlights for Welbeck's misses.
All are every bit as "easy" as March's, with worse execution.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Yes they were.
I appreciate you've made your mind up.
But seriously take a look back at the extended highlights for Welbeck's misses.
All are every bit as "easy" as March's, with worse execution.
They're totally different. I have made my mind up about March's header, it was atrocious. Watch it. Absolutely staggering that anyone would try and defend it. None of the misses from Welbeck are in the same league as that and to claim they are is an agenda either against Welbeck, or blindly in favour of March despite his indefensible missed header. That's the only thing I'm talking about here, nothing else. Just the dreadful header which cost us a chance of getting back into the game.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
They're totally different. I have made my mind up about March's header, it was atrocious. Watch it. Absolutely staggering that anyone would try and defend it. None of the misses from Welbeck are in the same league as that and to claim they are is an agenda either against Welbeck, or blindly in favour of March despite his indefensible missed header. That's the only thing I'm talking about here, nothing else. Just the dreadful header which cost us a chance of getting back into the game.
I have watched both back multiple times.
They are not totally different, they are nearly identical.

Free header, back stick, whole goal to aim at.
March hit the target, Welbeck didn't.

Neither are great.
Welbeck's worse, would have made it 2-0.
Leeds went on to draw, so more costly too..

take a look www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPSO-gSafjs 8:15 minutes in

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

Neither are great.

Thank you for posting the video, but it hasn't changed my mind. March meets his header on the run, he doesn't have to jump and measure it at all (8:10 - www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPSO-gSafjs) and he gets to see it the whole way. Having watched it back, it isn't as bad as it was on Friday and it is further out than I thought - very similar to the Welbeck header to be fair and I'll concede that point. But I still think March's header is an easier chance to score from than Welbeck's, but at least March did put his on target.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Neither are great.

The guy just wants to moan about Solly. Doesn't matter if other players are doing very similar stuff - once people have decided that "this guy is the bad egg" they're just going to exaggerate any bad action they do on the pitch.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The guy just wants to moan about Solly. Doesn't matter if other players are doing very similar stuff - once people have decided that "this guy is the bad egg" they're just going to exaggerate any bad action they do on the pitch.
Not at all, it was a dreadful miss at a terrible time for us in the game. Had he scored, other than being a minor miracle!, it would have given us a way back into a game that was slipping away from us. The first 25 minutes were pretty good but as soon as Brentford scored it was effectively game over. The team wasn't good enough, not just Solly. But Solly missed a golden chance and this thread was commenting on him doing exactly that. If that's not the content you want to read then this isn't the thread for you.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I don't think he freezes, as such, because he nearly always gets a shot off.
I think he overthinks it and chooses the higher percentage option.
He rarely snatches and mishits a shot, but often gives the keeper time to save.
He never looks up when shooting at goal , which is why the ball never ends in the net , because he shoots with his head down rather than looking where the gaps are

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
His general game is good, hence why he plays so often. Problem is there is no point having a player who regularly gets into goal scoring positions, who erm, can't score.
You can say that about everyone. The fact only Maupay could reliably manage 8+ goals a season is poor. Everyone should have been scoring more from the CBs and everyone in front

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Unfortunately for Solly his lack of goals and missed opportunities are highlighted by the fact we don't have a striker who can put the ball in the net.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here