[Albion] Solly March, local lad and Premier League star, is f***ing brilliant

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
The usual tidy possession and made some decent runs but needs to get in the habit of crossing quicker before the defenders organise themselves. Appreciate it’s difficult cross first time on your weaker foot but equally we need bodies in the box to aim for.

Seemed to be a lack of urgency, speed and movement from our entire forward line. Needs addressing. I believe RDZ mentioned this in post match interview. As an attacker he won’t be happy. Will reserve judgment until after the Forest game. I expect a couple of players to be dropped to freshen things up

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Final ball is awful and can't shoot for peanuts
Final ball really isn't awful at all - that's a comment of someone who really isn't watching the game - no argument about his finishing though.
The usual tidy possession and made some decent runs but needs to get in the habit of crossing quicker before the defenders organise themselves. Appreciate it’s difficult cross first time on your weaker foot but equally we need bodies in the box to aim for.

Seemed to be a lack of urgency, speed and movement from our entire forward line. Needs addressing. I believe RDZ mentioned this in post match interview. As an attacker he won’t be happy. Will reserve judgment until after the Forest game. I expect a couple of players to be dropped to freshen things up

No point in crossing early when there's no one in the box.
It's been a long time since we've had players who gamble on getting on the end of a cross.

Solly has had a series of managers who have drilled into him, the importance of keeping the ball.
He isn't going to sling the ball into the box, on the off chance.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Final ball really isn't awful at all - that's a comment of someone who really isn't watching the game - no argument about his finishing though.

No point in crossing early when there's no one in the box.
It's been a long time since we've had players who gamble on getting on the end of a cross.

Solly has had a series of managers who have drilled into him, the importance of keeping the ball.
He isn't going to sling the ball into the box, on the off chance.
I made that point further down,I agree

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A player playing on the right who refuses to use his right foot - or to work on improving his right foot sufficiently to be able to use it when required - is necessarily limiting his and the team's opportunities. And yet two head coaches pick him without fail and ahead of Tariq Lamptey. So they have obviously valued his other contributions ahead of Lamptey's.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What is a sitter
A player playing on the right who refuses to use his right foot - or to work on improving his right foot sufficiently to be able to use it when required - is necessarily limiting his and the team's opportunities. And yet two head coaches pick him without fail and ahead of Tariq Lamptey. So they have obviously valued his other contributions ahead of Lamptey's.
If he’s so great and we’ve obviously been scouted heavily in the last season where are the offers for him? Rico Henry had an easy first half, second half against Mitoma he had his work cut out.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If he’s so great and we’ve obviously been scouted heavily in the last season where are the offers for him? Rico Henry had an easy first half, second half against Mitoma he had his work cut out.
So you’re not very good unless someone makes a public offer for you?

Mitoma came on with us chasing the game as an out and out winger, March started as a wingback.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Where would he go? Not good enough for one of the CL-contending teams and not bad enough to get shipped to a shite club somewhere. It is either Brighton or a sidewards step for him.

Plus, as far as we know there's been as many bids for him as for Alexis, Moises or Leo.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I ok
So you’re not very good unless someone makes a public offer for you?

Mitoma came on with us chasing the game as an out and out winger, March started as a
Where would he go? Not good enough for one of the CL-contending teams and not bad enough to get shipped to a shite club somewhere. It is either Brighton or a sidewards step for him.

Plus, as far as we know there's been as many bids for him as for Alexis, Moises or Leo.
Yet we all know the last three mentioned will be off sooner or later. It’s not a personal attack on the lad his PL numbers for an attacking player are god awful, score more we in more. Had he put that header in the corner instead of at the keeper we could of got something out of the game last night.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yet we all know the last three mentioned will be off sooner or later. It’s not a personal attack on the lad his PL numbers for an attacking player are god awful, score more we in more. Had he put that header in the corner instead of at the keeper we could of got something out of the game last night.
Sure. And if Welbeck had scored his header, Brighton might have got something out of the game. Or if Veltman or Trossard had scored from their chances.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You say that Solly refuses to work on improving the quality of his right foot? I'm sure that isn't true. Non eof us know what goes on druring training.

No he was wasn't brilliant last night, but nor were the rest of the team. in any case there were rarely enough bodies in the box for Solly to be able to direct his crosses towards.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Solly March, homegrown player.
Yeh get rid, why not
He keeps getting picked time and time again by different managers, they must have their heads examined.

IMO one of the most exciting players to come from dreary old Sussex.
If he came from Barcelona or Milan, it'll be a blip in his career.
FFS lay off the lad :thumbsup:

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Solly March, homegrown player.
Yeh get rid, why not
He keeps getting picked time and time again by different managers, they must have their heads examined.

IMO one of the most exciting players to come from dreary old Sussex.
If he came from Barcelona or Milan, it'll be a blip in his career.
FFS lay off the lad :thumbsup:
Better team on the day won
The opposition were more Clinical

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That’s simply not the case with Solly.

He is going both ways this season and that was evident several times at Brentford. Would have agreed previousl, but he has clearly worked on his game, and as you say the people working with him value him.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
You say that Solly refuses to work on improving the quality of his right foot? I'm sure that isn't true. Non eof us know what goes on druring training.

No he was wasn't brilliant last night, but nor were the rest of the team. in any case there were rarely enough bodies in the box for Solly to be able to direct his crosses towards.
If you read my comment again you will note that I said that he hasn’t worked on it enough to feel confident using it in matches. Which is demonstrably true. Personally I think left wing back is his true calling and it wouldn’t be So much of a problem there.

On Solly generally, the reason he attracts so much comment is that we’ve all seen evidence that he has more to offer than he has consistently shown and we’re frustrated by it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports