Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March, local lad and Premier League star, is f***ing brilliant

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's had his best season, but world class, come on now?
Yeah, I think that is certainly thrown around a little too lightly by some. Solly's been brilliant this season for us. But WORLD CLASS ? C'mon. He's not even been capped.

No idea what that's supposed to be based on.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yeah, I think that is certainly thrown around a little too lightly by some. Solly's been brilliant this season for us. But WORLD CLASS ? C'mon. He's not even been capped.

No idea what that's supposed to be based on.

World Class may be a little over the top, but to a team who are in 7th place in the Premier League a fit Solly March does and has for a few years, made an enormous difference, whatever he's asked to do :wink:

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
World Class may be a little over the top, but to a team who are in 7th place in the Premier League a fit Solly March does and has for a few years, make an enormous difference, whatever he's asked to do :wink:
No argument there chap. He's massively important to us. But I'd struggle to name 2 "world class" players in the England squad, let alone ours.

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
World Class may be a little over the top, but to a team who are in 7th place in the Premier League a fit Solly March does and has for a few years, make an enormous difference, whatever he's asked to do :wink:
I must say he's made an enormous difference, taking Penalties. Just saying.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No argument there chap. He's massively important to us. But I'd struggle to name 2 "world class" players in the England squad, let alone ours.
We have a World Cup winner. Mitoma is world class, and arguably the Ecuadorean players. They have played on the world stage.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

With what he's done (at 24 !) AliMac could claim a case, Caicedo will almost certainly get there, and there's hope for a few others. It is ridiculous to say it but it's true :wink:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We have to define "world class" then. Because for me its not just playing at International level and being capable. Its the absolute elite of the elite at that level, who are regularly capable of doing something truly brilliant. But perhaps I am in a minority. Mac is great obvs, he's arguably world class. But lots of players have won the World Cup without being what you'd describe as world class. Its not an automative pass, IMO.

Eric Dyer has 49 caps. Does that make him "world class" ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Contrary to what I thought , or care, about the England squad, thought some of the saves Pickford made yesterday were world class ?
Some decent saves, for sure. But "world class" ? Thats setting a pretty low bar isn't it.

Like I say, people throw the world class thing around far too much, IMO. A year or so ago loads on here were saying Bissouma was world class and our best midfielder of all time. We need to calm down a bit sometimes.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
We have to define "world class" then. Because for me its not just playing at International level and being capable. Its the absolute elite of the elite at that level, who are regularly capable of doing something truly brilliant. But perhaps I am in a minority. Mac is great obvs, he's arguably world class. But lots of players have won the World Cup without being what you'd describe as world class. Its not an automative pass, IMO.

This does tend to highlight that international football isn't the highest quality, and performances at that level aren't the best measure of a player.
Anyway, once you've all established what "world class" means, can you nail down what makes a player "Great" as opposed to merely "good" please?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This does tend to highlight that international football isn't the highest quality, and performances at that level aren't the best measure of a player.
Anyway, once you've all established what "world class" means, can you nail down what makes a player "Great" as opposed to merely "good" please?
Opinion ?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

I guess one measure might be whether that player would get into a current form 'World Squad' i.e. top 24 players playing for a world X1 team (though its a squad to make it a bit easier and to reflect the way things are now).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Something like anyone performing at the top level in the game (and have a decent track record of doing so) and one of the two or three best players in their position globally - that would generally make it into any international squad. Definitely not Solly much as I love him, and probably not Ali Mac yet either.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Something like anyone performing at the top level in the game (and have a decent track record of doing so) and one of the two or three best players in their position globally - that would generally make it into any international squad. Definitely not Solly much as I love him, and probably not Ali Mac yet either.

I think AliMac could make a case and I would bet on Caicedo making it. Other than that, Enciso and Ferguson are both optimistically hopeful, but remember this isn't England we're talking about, this is the Albion. I'm off to pour another glass :thumbsup:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
He was close to where I was sitting when he suddenly stopped…definitely had the look of a hamstring. Sad for him, he’s not really come back since Wembley. After a great season too.
Yet he came closest to scoring in open play against United last week - and forced Pickford into a good save last night. He was easily our best player last night just in the time he was on.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I guess one measure might be whether that player would get into a current form 'World Squad' i.e. top 24 players playing for a world X1 team (though its a squad to make it a bit easier and to reflect the way things are now).
I tend to think that "World Class" is essentially the best in the world in their position (or interchangeable with the person who is). Haaland is world class, as is Mbappe> Messi and Ronaldo used to be. To me, it's the elite of the elite. None of our players are in that category in my opinion, although they are very good indeed

Reactions: SAC

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I tend to think that "World Class" is essentially the best in the world in their position (or interchangeable with the person who is). Haaland is world class, as is Mbappe> Messi and Ronaldo used to be. To me, it's the elite of the elite. None of our players are in that category in my opinion, although they are very good indeed
Yep. As if Earth were playing Mars at football and we had to put together a 25 man squad. We have no players that would get anywhere near it. The only player England have is Bellingham, and even he wouldn’t make it for a few more years.

Being a decent international player is not being world class!

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Yep. As if Earth were playing Mars at football and we had to put together a 25 man squad. We have no players that would get anywhere near it. The only player England have is Bellingham, and even he wouldn’t make it for a few more years.

Being a decent international player is not being world class!
I don't know, Mars do like to chuck in a lofted ball...

Harry-Maguire-7.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here