Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So which forward do we want to buy?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Needs to be a proven 20+ Goals championship level striker. Not a league 1 bod with potential as too many fall short. Lambert is a great shout.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is an odd one. We were one of the highest scorers in the division, and Hemed scored 17 goals, yet we all want a goalscorer. ???

Hardly any of the names mentioned on here inspire me for various reasons. Perhaps Will Grigg?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'm not sure I see the logic in that. We have conceded too many goals to be in the top 2, so we need to stay as we are? Why not try and strengthen in defence and defensive midfield? Makes at least as much sense as buying a star striker. IMHO of course.

The logic is that if Dunk and Goldson carry on playing together, they will be immense. Great defences come from long term partnerships and we have the makings of an excellent one. Since they started playing together, our defence has been better than earlier in the season. We can look at LB as cover for Bong, Bruno/Liam at RB is fine for another season. But we have to keep the CB pairing together.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
This is an odd one. We were one of the highest scorers in the division, and Hemed scored 17 goals, yet we all want a goalscorer. ???

Hardly any of the names mentioned on here inspire me for various reasons. Perhaps Will Grigg?

Because we create a huge amount of chances with the likes of Knocky and Skalak on the pitch yet we are still not taking them clinically enough especially against the top sides.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

Indeed, it is an odd one. I think what we really need next season is a bit of luck - shots that deflect in off the woodwork instead of out for a start. I like Baldock, but he is the obvious one that needs replacing - Vydra is not the answer.

Hardly any of the names mentioned on here inspire me for various reasons.

Agree completely, all this thread is missing currently is an input from Ben's auntie's father.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because we create a huge amount of chances with the likes of Knocky and Skalak on the pitch yet we are still not taking them clinically enough especially against the top sides.

We didn't yesterday, but the number of goals we scored over the course of the season suggests we are. When you have a playing budget, you have to decide how it's going to be spent. If you take the view you appear to be taking, we'll want a £9m striker like Gray or Rhodes (who really isn't all that anyway) - so you're waving goodbye to at least TWO key players with that money. Take your pick - two from Kayal, Stephens, Knockaert and Skalak.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
two strikers that have impressed me in the play-offs have been Omar Bogle from Grimsby and Jamille Matt on loan at Plymouth from Fleetwood. Yes, I know they're lower league, but are the robust type of nuisance striker I think we need............and we all know about one former Fleetwood striker.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea

That's what I think, I think he would do great at this level!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Our most potent weapons since Xmas has been the Knockers/Skalak set piece taking ability. How are we going to get those 2 and March (assuming he gets back to his pre-injury form) all in the team at the same time? Skalak up front maybe?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We didn't yesterday, but the number of goals we scored over the course of the season suggests we are. When you have a playing budget, you have to decide how it's going to be spent. If you take the view you appear to be taking, we'll want a £9m striker like Gray or Rhodes (who really isn't all that anyway) - so you're waving goodbye to at least TWO key players with that money. Take your pick - two from Kayal, Stephens, Knockaert and Skalak.

I take your point but we scored a shed load of those mostly against bottom half teams at home who had pretty much given up after we'd gone 2 goals in front. What we need is a player who will take chances when your behind in games or up against opposition who are playing for a point. With regard to the budget, I think the most likely players to get sold are Stephens or Kayal and I can't see either of them going for less than £6million each, with how close we were this season it depends whether TB wants to push the boat out.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

How many of Hemeds were from the spot?

This team, especially the wings and Midfield is creating plenty of chances, but still in important games against those at the top we're not converting enough. Hemed is not crap but he's not class either, he flatters to deceive, great with his head but not very good with his feet, he misses a lot of good opportunities and theyre at a premium in this league.

Ulloa and Murray were better and would do better than 17 goals in this current team especially if allocated penalty duties as well. I'd like to keep Hemed, but we need competition for his place.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
....we need to spend £8-10 million on a player like McCormack or Kodjia and we will do a Burnley.
Please do nothing like a Burnley, except go up. They will play the worst football in the Premier league and will come straight back down. Hoof ball with a decent centre forward doesn't cut it in the Premier League!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
A Baldock upgrade. Needs to be stronger, keep the ball better and a more clinical/prolific finisher. I like Nahki Wells at Huddersfield: 18 goals in 47 games this season.

A Bobby replacement as competition for Tomer. Big and strong in the air, we know now that our crosses/set plays are a real strength. I would back our recruitment team to find the right man, almost certainly from abroad.

PG

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Who's playing up front for Almeria these days? We've got a decent record nicking their best players

They had a poor season and have been relegated, probably cos some team keeps nicking their best players...........

Florin Andone of Cordoba had a good season, 18 in 33 for an average side, only 23 and 6ft tall. Romanian so no work permit issues, unless we Brexit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here