Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Gustavo...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Doesn't take much tbh with the youngsters today in the North East. Or anywhere for that matter.

Oh well. All the very best for the season. I think I may stick around and take in a Brighton game in the coming weeks. I have some Social Work in Hove to complete over the coming months.

Forest one should be a good one

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Poyet did fantastic for us, anyone who suggest otherwise is wrong, he wanted/needed to be out of work to get an opportunity in the PL

Ignoring all the rumours etc

He deserves a crack in the premier league in my opinion.

Of all the other rumoured candidates I would go for Poyet if i were sunderland

And with any luck it might mean the end of the supposed law suit etc something both parties can do with moving away from.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
It will certainly have to be the 'Gus Poyet Show' or he won't go there, that's for sure. He'll also want to have free and easy access to the owner's personal bank account - though try not to let him go too wild when buying strikers as the jury is still out on that element of his buying credentials.

However, don't forget he is still very much a work in progress as a manager. When he first started out he was prepared to make lots of 'interesting' tactical decisions and wasn't adverse to making 3 substitutions all at once to chase a game. There were times in League 1 when we genuinely seemed to have a 4-2-4 formation. Over the past couple of years he has honed his style and become more conservative in outlook, with a solid defensive base and possession being two of his key ingredients - it made us pretty to look at and effective but you didn't have to worry if you suffered from high blood pressure as we didn't always set pulses racing - its a crude measure but the fact that before Saturday we hadn't come from behind in a game since the first game at the Amex says something about his approach over the past couple of years. However, there were times such as when we beat Palace 3-0 and played with 2 wingers we looked unplayable so he could do it but for a lot of fans he didn't do that sort of thing often enough and the next home game he'd play 4-5-1 and no one could understand why - even after he'd explained it in his post match interview! So, he is probably better tactically than Di Canio but no less impenetrable when it comes to interviews!! :lolol:

However, towards the end of last season we were beginning to play a few longer balls and develop a Plan B (I suspect in part because teams had begun to suss us out and also Kuszczak isn't quite as comfortable with the ball at his feet as Ankergren). So yes, if he ends up at Sunderland he will probably develop his style/approach still further and better quality player might help him too. However, if the players don't do it his way he will freeze them out and/or move them on without a second thought.

If he goes to Sunderland you have to accept that it is only ever going to be stepping stone for him but you might as well enjoy the ride, just make sure you are wearing your seat belt!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Wow thank you for the response Brighton. Much more than a humble old Social Worker could ask for.

He sounds good. Much better and less the like for like than a few in the NE have been worried about.

In terms of him imposing 'his way or no way', do you think this could be easier said than done with a group of senior premiership players as opposed to (no disrespect) league one / championship players?

If anything, it will be easier. Premier League footballers want to pass the ball, that isn't a difficult message. One thing I think that Poyet did very cleverly in the early days when he was still instilling the philosophy was take responsibility for mistakes made as a result of it, which I felt took a lot of the pressure off the players.

He is a very shrewd if slightly volitile man. PDC, he ain't.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So you're just speculating then, you have absolutely no idea. Palace tonked us in December, we tonked them in March and then we drew with them the week before. It was honours even going into that game.

Tell me why he would have given up 180 minutes from the Premier League? How many times did he bang on about wanting to manage in the Premier League? Why would he put four years work into it and then give up just before he'd achieved his aim, and not only had a Premier League job but would have been just about the most desirable manager in the country outside the top 6? Even if he had decided to leave at the end of the season already, do you think he would have thought 'I won't bother with this one because I'm leaving at the end of the season although I don't have a job lined up', or do you think he would have thought 'two games and I'm in the Premier League, I'm leaving Brighton and am now going to have top Premier League clubs queuing up for my signature', I have to win this game?

Yeah, he 'gave up'. What does that even mean?And the players, who'd played 47 Championship games in that season and were playing in the biggest match of their lives that could define their careers, they followed suit and didn't bother trying either, because Gus didn't care.

What an absolute load of utter bollocks.

Amen to this, even if he "gave up" the players wouldn't have been fussed???? In that case why bother going on the best run of the season in the 10/11 games previous just to muck it up there.

Also, the real difference between the 2 sides was Zaha, who contrary to most of the talk on here, is a really handy player.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In terms of him imposing 'his way or no way', do you think this could be easier said than done with a group of senior premiership players as opposed to (no disrespect) league one / championship players?

I wondered about this when he was here, managing players who have achieved as much as he has could be a problem. Do you have any such players? Managing a player who cost millions and dropping him could well cause problems that he has not yet encountered. CMS, although costing us millions is not a prima donna, I think he may struggle to contain the unrest it may cause if a player with a big ego crosses him. I may be wrong but it would have been a concern to me if we'd had such players when he was here.

Vicente said that Gus mocked players on the training pitch and he was the worst man he'd ever come across in football. He could get away with that here, not so sure he will with Premier League players. Maybe Vicente's comments should be taken with a pinch of salt but he is as close to a superstar as Gus has managed so far and it was not a happy ending. ALLEGEDLY Vicente was fit from January, if so something must have gone on for him to be picked so infrequently on the run in.

Last edited:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
He really wasn't. He was massively popular right up to his interview at the end of the second play-off leg. Look back at the threads at the time about his speech at the player's awards dinner, he was being treated as the messiah then.

I said at times, especially on here. Just take a look back at some of the binfests.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Bad Google Translate, but this is what one of the Italian Sky Sports journo's, Gianluca Di Marzio, is saying:

"Paolo Di Canio greets Sunderland chooses Gustavo Poyet for the bench. After several meetings, and evaluated different profiles, the British company has decided to rely on the former coach of Brighton, who last year reached the play-offs in the Championship. A fascinating choice, a coach with charisma. His teams have always played attacking football with almost impenetrable defenses. He took the Brigton in Series C bringing the threshold of the Premier. And then it is a Uruguayan, his way of doing it is considered perfect for a team full of foreigners. The former Chelsea player, had a great impact in talks with the company. To be fair, the Sunderland feel at this time also other coaches but the choice is made only missing the ok of the president. Poyet is the chosen one, it is only a matter of days."

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Now now people I didn't want to create a war on the Brighton boards

I'm a lover not a fighter. Old hippie if truth be told :thumbsup:

To be fair pal you could come on here and ask if the world was round and someone would argue that it was flat.

It's actually quite nice to have a thread on here about football.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bad Google Translate, but this is what one of the Italian Sky Sports journo's, Gianluca Di Marzio, is saying:

"Paolo Di Canio greets Sunderland chooses Gustavo Poyet for the bench. After several meetings, and evaluated different profiles, the British company has decided to rely on the former coach of Brighton, who last year reached the play-offs in the Championship. A fascinating choice, a coach with charisma. His teams have always played attacking football with almost impenetrable defenses. He took the Brigton in Series C bringing the threshold of the Premier. And then it is a Uruguayan, his way of doing it is considered perfect for a team full of foreigners. The former Chelsea player, had a great impact in talks with the company. To be fair, the Sunderland feel at this time also other coaches but the choice is made only missing the ok of the president. Poyet is the chosen one, it is only a matter of days."

:lolol: So now we have The Special One and The Chosen One in the Premier League

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Straight up truth, no bs, I have just seen and spoken to Charlie in cafe neros, church road.

"so anything coming your way in the future" me

"watch the news over the next couple of days" co

"got something lined up have you?"

"Gus is going to Sunderland in the next day or two"

"good to see you and best of luck"

Now that's as near as damit word for word. We chatted about a couple of other things but that's the footy bit

To me there are a number of ways you could take what he said but I thought I'd pass it on.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Wow thank you for the response Brighton. Much more than a humble old Social Worker could ask for.

He sounds good. Much better and less the like for like than a few in the NE have been worried about.

Many of the squad said they loved the style of football - and why not, playing a fluent passing style is surely more fun to do than constantly hoofing it done the channels. It was the fans he had to impose 'his way or no way' on, and he'd won 95% of us over by the end. Still a few numpties shouting to hoof it forward, mind.

Great thread, makes me realise I miss Poyet a lot. My feeling is he should and might wait for the 2nd or 3rd Prem job to come up, which let's face it could be before Xmas anyway. The 13 new players bought in by De Fanti (who is the boss of all transfers at S'land), lot's of them not speaking English might put him off. It's a Herculean task, and they won't be as patient as Bloom if he can't turn it round quickly.
Overall he demands high standards of those around him, and if he doesn't get that vibe from S'land he should wait. He could be manager of Newcastle soon, and that would be a better option, no offense to the OP!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gus is a good manager. However, he will want full control of transfers, which he won't get. He will make a fool of himself in the press (again). Expect toys out of pram at some future date. That said he is no PDC. A loose cannon, yes, but not as loose a cannon as PDC is.

Graham Entwhistle

Sep 24, 2013
Saving the children
Well I have to say. In between the Social Work reports I have been busy writing today, this has been an extremely insightful experience on your board and I must admit, I'm much more confident should Mr Poyet be secured for SAFC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here