Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Gustavo...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You didn't need to be in the dressing room to see that the team for the second leg was not prepared properly.

Were you in the dressing room or training ground? No I am guessing you weren't so maybe...just maybe it wasn't a bad day at the office. maybe he gave up, He just didn't care about it. Would that explain how we got tonked by a team we had smashed only a few weeks before? Would that explain the dis interest filmed on the touch line for the game? Would that explain the hushed rumours about Charlie? Would that explain why he told the players 'i is off' before the 2nd leg? Na probably just a bad day at the office.

So you're just speculating then, you have absolutely no idea. Palace tonked us in December, we tonked them in March and then we drew with them the week before. It was honours even going into that game.

Tell me why he would have given up 180 minutes from the Premier League? How many times did he bang on about wanting to manage in the Premier League? Why would he put four years work into it and then give up just before he'd achieved his aim, and not only had a Premier League job but would have been just about the most desirable manager in the country outside the top 6? Even if he had decided to leave at the end of the season already, do you think he would have thought 'I won't bother with this one because I'm leaving at the end of the season although I don't have a job lined up', or do you think he would have thought 'two games and I'm in the Premier League, I'm leaving Brighton and am now going to have top Premier League clubs queuing up for my signature', I have to win this game?

Yeah, he 'gave up'. What does that even mean?And the players, who'd played 47 Championship games in that season and were playing in the biggest match of their lives that could define their careers, they followed suit and didn't bother trying either, because Gus didn't care.

What an absolute load of utter bollocks.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

In terms of him imposing 'his way or no way', do you think this could be easier said than done with a group of senior premiership players as opposed to (no disrespect) league one / championship players?

Possibly. Before Poyet came to us we were a 'traditional' British club playing 'traditional' British football under a succession of 'traditional' British managers. In other words we were pretty shit. You know what they say: "in the country of the blind the one-eyed man is king" and anybody with a non-British approach stood a good chance of succeeding when the starting base was so low - Di Canio did well at Swindon who, at the time, were a similar club to us. Also there may have been an element of awe, here were a bunch of journeymen League One pros now rubbing shoulders on a daily basis with a man who'd been a top player for club and country. Most (not all) were bright enough to pay attention and some really blossomed.

Not sure either will apply at Sunderland, and I'm not sure any manager can really 'impose' themselves on millionaire Prem players. That notwithstanding I stand by my earlier comment that you could do a lot worse.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
No way near as good as he thinks he is, plays boring turgid football and then defends a racist, talks about wanting to manage Chelsea a lot and how terrible his budget is despite spending 6 m on strikers alone during two seasons in the Championship.

Last edited:

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
So you're just speculating then, you have absolutely no idea. Palace tonked us in December, we tonked them in March and then we drew with them the week before. It was honours even going into that game.

Tell me why he would have given up 180 minutes from the Premier League? How many times did he bang on about wanting to manage in the Premier League? Why would he put four years work into it and then give up just before he'd achieved his aim, and not only had a Premier League job but would have been just about the most desirable manager in the country outside the top 6? Even if he had decided to leave at the end of the season already, do you think he would have thought 'I won't bother with this one because I'm leaving at the end of the season although I don't have a job lined up', or do you think he would have thought 'two games and I'm in the Premier League, I'm leaving Brighton and am now going to have top Premier League clubs queuing up for my signature', I have to win this game?

Yeah, he 'gave up'. What does that even mean?And the players, who'd played 47 Championship games in that season and were playing in the biggest match of their lives that could define their careers, they followed suit and didn't bother trying either, because Gus didn't care.

What an absolute load of utter bollocks.

We are all speculating. Arnt you? I am off for a flounce..

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No way near as good as he thinks he is, .... and then defends a racist.....

Indeed.

Radio Poyet talking about Suarez was the beginning of the end.

Did he upset the major sponsors or the board ? Did this lead to him being disciplined or carpeted and then get the subsequent sulks about this ? Was this where the breakdown started ?

Speculation though ??? ??? ???

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I don't buy this "Gus gave up" line. He asked to leave in March(? I think) and was told "no". Had he given up, it would have been then, and we would not have got in the play offs at all.

I think Gus will do pretty well, personally. His style of play is technically advanced - one that is obviously suited to better players. I got the impression that working with Champ/League 1 players was a frustration for him as they were not always technically gifted enough to carry out his instructions to the letter, hence his desire to get better players in. This "lack of plan B" was our inability to break down teams that parked the bus - he should find that easier with higher calibre players playing his style.

I wish him well and hope that it comes off for him. Only 1 caveat - he needs to ensure that the caravan club come dead last.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't buy this "Gus gave up" line. He asked to leave in March(? I think) and was told "no". Had he given up, it would have been then, and we would not have got in the play offs at all.

I think Gus will do pretty well, personally. His style of play is technically advanced - one that is obviously suited to better players. I got the impression that working with Champ/League 1 players was a frustration for him as they were not always technically gifted enough to carry out his instructions to the letter, hence his desire to get better players in. This "lack of plan B" was our inability to break down teams that parked the bus - he should find that easier with higher calibre players playing his style.

I wish him well and hope that it comes off for him. Only 1 caveat - he needs to ensure that the caravan club come dead last.

Is it possible that something happened between the two playoff legs that prompted his giving up ???

( speculative question )

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is it possible that something happened between the two playoff legs that prompted his giving up ???

( speculative question )

Therein lies the rub.

People are judging this particular episode about Gus based on speculation - using phrases like 'allegedly' and 'if the rumours are true'.

I'll wait for the facts to come out, if ever they do, before making my mind up.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

very much this

( speculative question )

this was and still is at the back of my mind
something happened but whether we will ever know what it was in another matter

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Therein lies the rub.

People are judging this particular episode about Gus based on speculation - using phrases like 'allegedly' and 'if the rumours are true'.

missed this while posting
a big THIS

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Overall he did a very good job for Brighton after perhaps a mixed record with earlier assistant manager/coaching appointments.

He was well supported financially and by the board and supporters, given the level we were at.

His record in the top league games was not great but he could be relied upon to field a team to beat lesser sides.

I personally believe he likes things his way and does not react that well under pressure. He is no diplomat.

I have no idea how he would do at Sunderland but it will be very interesting to see, that is for sure.

Taking his Brighton attitude if you lose to Liverpool with a Suarez hat trick he is likely to say that extol his virtues and say that as you at Sunderland cannot afford the likes of him, you must accept defeat and move on. Will you want to keep on hearing that X has more money than you and that defeat is no disrespect ?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Therein lies the rub.

True.

In an absence of information it is tempting to try and piece together theories and explanations from snippets.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Now now people I didn't want to create a war on the Brighton boards

I'm a lover not a fighter. Old hippie if truth be told :thumbsup:

This is what you could be in for. He was very, very divisive at times.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You have to say he was a brilliant manager during his time here. Ignore his foibles and he is a Premier League manager.

Graham Entwhistle

Sep 24, 2013
Saving the children
This is what you could be in for. He was very, very divisive at times.

Doesn't take much tbh with the youngsters today in the North East. Or anywhere for that matter.

Oh well. All the very best for the season. I think I may stick around and take in a Brighton game in the coming weeks. I have some Social Work in Hove to complete over the coming months.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here