Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Gustavo...

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Will transform Sunderland's footballing philosophy. He'll do a great job for you. Just make sure the press officer is close by when a microphone is near him.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
He stifles flair, boring but pretty football. When it's 0-0 with twenty minutes left he will bolster the defence rather than go for the win. His greatest weakness is his ego, it's Ronaldo times ten. He could well save your club from relegation but it will be at his own agenda and for him. Horribly frustrating for any club owner I'd imagine as he wants to control everything.
Finally for me I'm glad he's gone and I am convinced BHA will do better for it. But good luck to Sunderland anyway far to big a club to not be in the premier. :thumbsup:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He's a terrific manager, one of the best we've ever had. It's not always plain sailing with him and yes he does have a big ego, but how many top managers, or very successful people for that matter, don't? He'll do well for you.

The no plan B stuff is just Poyet's way, he wanted to create something beautiful, where a team have a style and ethics and they stick to it no matter what, even if if sometimes meant not winning. Personally, I think that's fantastic, but you know what football fans are like, they're not the sharpest bunch generally and they all want instant success. Some genuinely wanted him sacked in January last year, the season where we finished 4th in the Championship having been down the bottom of League 1 three seasons before when he turned up. Expect a lot of "GET IT FORWARDS, THAT'S WHERE THE GOAL IS" from some of your simpler supporters.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Jeckyll and Hyde!

He was a good manager. One of our best and made some great signings.

He also made some very strange tactical decisions and very crap signings.

Same as every manager then.

Jeckyll and Hyde!

He was responsible for getting us so high in the league but again his tactics were to blame for losing important matches and ultimately for us losing out on promotion.

Is he the right man for you after PDC? I don't think he is as he is unable to adapt his tactics and can marginalise players in a similar way to your former Italian hot head.

Utter gibberish.

Also, ignore the stuff about 'no plan B'. It has no merit, and was disproved on many, if not most occasions; from changing the system, going from one winger to two, pushing a holding midfielder further forward, changing the personnel etc. - all mid-match.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He's a terrific manager, one of the best we've ever had. It's not always plain sailing with him and yes he does have a big ego, but how many top managers, or very successful people for that matter, don't? He'll do well for you.

The no plan B stuff is just Poyet's way, he wanted to create something beautiful, where a team have a style and ethics and they stick to it no matter what, even if if sometimes meant not winning. Personally, I think that's fantastic, but you know what football fans are like, they're not the sharpest bunch generally and they all want instant success. Some genuinely wanted him sacked in January last year, the season where we finished 4th in the Championship having been down the bottom of League 1 three seasons before when he turned up. Expect a lot of "GET IT FORWARDS, THAT'S WHERE THE GOAL IS" from some of your simpler supporters.

And straight away here's a good example of someone not 'getting it':

He stifles flair, boring but pretty football. When it's 0-0 with twenty minutes left he will bolster the defence rather than go for the win. His greatest weakness is his ego, it's Ronaldo times ten. He could well save your club from relegation but it will be at his own agenda and for him. Horribly frustrating for any club owner I'd imagine as he wants to control everything.
Finally for me I'm glad he's gone and I am convinced BHA will do better for it. But good luck to Sunderland anyway far to big a club to not be in the premier. :thumbsup:

Load of bollocks.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Like an ex player said recently on a radio show he'll walk in day one and its his way only. He'll have you passing, building up from the back into a lynchpin in the middle then back again if nothing is open ahead.

It's pass pass pass to the point you think they are trying to cover every blade of grass before scoring. You'll never see a long ball again and if someone does he'll shout at them from the touch line.

The media love him. Some fans will hate him (people who like an old English style of play). Some fans will love him. The only similarities between GP and PDC is they are both foreigners.

He'll do well I think and I wish him and you all the best. Now beat that palace lot.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Poyet was a car crash waiting to happen just like Di Cannio is/was. The only difference being Di Cannio's will and has happened allot sooner than Poyet's did.

Poyet will probably last a couple of years before he calls the chairman a pigdog or does something equally as daft.

He'll have you playing decent football though.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Poyet was a car crash waiting to happen just like Di Cannio is/was. The only difference being Di Cannio's will and has happened allot sooner than Poyet's did.

Poyet will probably last a couple of years before he calls the chairman a pigdog or does something equally as daft.

He'll have you playing decent football though.

This is true as well, it will almost certainly end in tears eventually. But it will be great while it lasts.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Same as every manager then.

Utter gibberish.

Also, ignore the stuff about 'no plan B'. It has no merit, and was disproved on many, if not most occasions; from changing the system, going from one winger to two, pushing a holding midfielder further forward, changing the personnel etc. - all mid-match.

In your opinion - and football is a game of opinions - you have yours and I have mine. Don't be childish and start a willy waving contest just because your opinions don't tie in with other people on this board.

Pros.
Great manager, gets the best out of players (strikers excluded), lovely keep ball football, seems to instill confidence in average players.
Cons.
Confrontational to officials, says what he means not what people want fans to say, very ambitious.

Ees complicated.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Ian ****ing Holloway outwitted him in his most important match as a manager that's what I call a load of bollocks.

In your opinion - and football is a game of opinions - you have yours and I have mine. Don't be childish and start a willy waving contest just because your opinions don't tie in with other people on this board.

And he outwitted Ian ****ing Holloway a few weeks before. I know it's hard to understand for some people, but sometime in football you have a bad day at the office. Sometimes it just doesn't work, and anyone who has even a basic understanding of the game should know that. You can't win every time, and Poyet won more often than not.

Can I assume that you have never ever had a bad day at work and that everything you do goes 100% exactly according to plan?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
And he outwitted Ian ****ing Holloway a few weeks before. I know it's hard to understand for some people, but sometime in football you have a bad day at the office. Sometimes it just doesn't work, and anyone who has even a basic understanding of the game should know that. You can't win every time, and Poyet won more often than not.

Can I assume that you have never ever had a bad day at work and that everything you do goes 100% exactly according to plan?

The 2nd leg was not a bad day at the office! He had not prepared the team mentally or physicaly

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Look to Watford for your new manager. You know it makes sense.

He is a better manager. He managed to make us look rubbish at the Amex last season. That was the best any team played against us.

But would Zola want to go to Sunderland? They may be a bigger club but they are less of a prospect then Watford. He could get Watford to go up and Sunderland are a team that are likely to go down. And I'm sure he likes the players the manager can get him at Watford.

Needs to be added that the Play off semi's were not like any other game, he did a great job for the away leg and only the keeper kept them in it. When it came to the leg at the Amex it was for all intents and purposes a one off winner take all game.

Sadly Palace took all, if the game had been against anyone else I'm not sure there would be so much anger towards Poyet.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Pros.
Great manager, gets the best out of players (strikers excluded), lovely keep ball football, seems to instill confidence in average players.
Cons.
Confrontational to officials, says what he means not what people want fans to say, very ambitious.

Ees complicated.

Slightly harsh on the striker comment, he signed the wrong one and then struggled to get the right one in rather than struggling to get the best out of the ones we have. And once he got his man he was superb.

I don't understand why someone saying what they mean rather than what the fans want them to say is a con. The fans are generally idiots.

His biggest downfall is he isn't media savvy enough, he's a journalist's dream. Want a story? Go ask Gus a question, he'll give you a whole page of material to spin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here