Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Gustavo...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The 2nd leg was not a bad day at the office! He had not prepared the team mentally or physicaly

You were in the dressing room, were you? Exactly what was it that you know he didn't do?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Any team he manages will be extremely hard to beat. He's a very good tactician and will have you passing the opposition to death. Build up play can sometimes be slow and laborious but you won't hurt your neck looking up to the skys for the ball. His footballing brain is brilliant. His ability to keep his mouth shut near a microphone is however, not.
A good choice I reckon, he can attract the right type of signings to appease the moaners every transfer window but will your chairman agree to another ambitious, young manager or go for a proven 'safe' older head.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Also, ignore the stuff about 'no plan B'. It has no merit, and was disproved on many, if not most occasions; from changing the system, going from one winger to two, pushing a holding midfielder further forward, changing the personnel etc. - all mid-match.
But even after he's done all of that, it was rigidly applied to the Plan A blueprint.

0-1 down 10 minutes to go:-

Koosh to Upson.
Upson to Bridge
Bridge to Koosh
(all opposition back in position)
Koosh to Greer
Greer to Koosh.
(Bridcutt drops deep behind the back four)
Koosh to Bridcutt
Bridcutt to Bridge, and we're off.

It might be different but it was always Plan A, then Plan A.1, Plan A.2 and so on.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
He was a great manager for us. If I were you I'd jump at the chance to have him. I think he will do well.
Agreed. You could do SO much worse. I accept he's got no experience of managing in the Prem - but then he had no experience at all of being a #1 when he came to us and until it went sour at the end he was probably the best manager we've ever had. In some ways Sunderland is the ideal 'first Prem' job for him, all he's got to do this season is finish fourth from bottom; if he'd gone to his 'beloved' Chelsea or his 'beloved' Spurs the bar would have been set a lot higher.

Oh, and no, he wasn't responsible for 'poogate' which anyway was simply about an unclean toilet and not some sort of 1970s IRA 'H' block dirty protest.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Pros - He installed a way of playing possession football that was very successful here and is far better to watch than a lot of the managers around. He was also a good man manager and the only moans seemed to come from players who weren't playing. He was very good at getting the best out of the majority of players. Very charismatic.

Cons - Because the style of play is predictable, we did occasionally see teams prepare well tactically and stop us from playing. He tends towards the safe option (not conceding, rather than pushing on). It will be the Gus show and if any other large characters are part of the set-up and want input, it could get lively.

I'm hoping he'll get it because it will be interested how he does. (And because it will only add fuel to the Gus is brilliant/Gus is a tosser threads on here).

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
You were in the dressing room, were you? Exactly what was it that you know he didn't do?

You didn't need to be in the dressing room to see that the team for the second leg was not prepared properly.

Were you in the dressing room or training ground? No I am guessing you weren't so maybe...just maybe it wasn't a bad day at the office. maybe he gave up, He just didn't care about it. Would that explain how we got tonked by a team we had smashed only a few weeks before? Would that explain the dis interest filmed on the touch line for the game? Would that explain the hushed rumours about Charlie? Would that explain why he told the players 'i is off' before the 2nd leg? Na probably just a bad day at the office.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Had we not obtained an equally brilliant manager, the vast majority would take him back in a heartbeat.
That's all you need to know.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I concur with those who think he did good things here. He did.

However a) he's not a nice person b) he's really only ever interested in himself and , probably most important, I don't think he's got enough managerial skill yet to get you out of the shit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Had we not obtained an equally brilliant manager, the vast majority would take him back in a heartbeat.
That's all you need to know.
That is very true.

Had Gus left in a more conventional way, it would have been a tough act to follow.
As it is, it still couldn't have been easy for Oscar, but the board backed him and 9 games in it does feel like Gus who.
(from 3 to 5 at least)

Graham Entwhistle

Sep 24, 2013
Saving the children
Wow thank you for the response Brighton. Much more than a humble old Social Worker could ask for.

He sounds good. Much better and less the like for like than a few in the NE have been worried about.

In terms of him imposing 'his way or no way', do you think this could be easier said than done with a group of senior premiership players as opposed to (no disrespect) league one / championship players?

Wow thank you for the response Brighton. Much more than a humble old Social Worker could ask for.

He sounds good. Much better and less the like for like than a few in the NE have been worried about.

In terms of him imposing 'his way or no way', do you think this could be easier said than done with a group of senior premiership players as opposed to (no disrespect) league one / championship players?

Easier if the players are professional. He took very average players and imposed his way on them and we literally passed our way out of League 1.

A Charlton write up once described it as "Death by a thousand passes"

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

He will still be the best/ most skillful player on the training pitch so that shouldn't be a problem.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Wayne Bridge, who was outstanding all season, had only good thing to say about him. He's a championship player in name only.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The players being that much better (allegedly :lol:) should relish the prospect of playing better football.
If Gus can make Wayne Bridge purr again, a relatively new team keen to impress should have a ball, so to speak.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I think better players will take to it no problem and should do it better. It took us from bottom of league 1 to play offs in the championship.

However will this single way of playing be sufficient in the Premier ? Having watched Swansea (the team many brighton fans look to as a role model football-wise), they seem to mix it up with changes in tempo and playing long. Gus hasn't - whether this is the way he wants or down to the players he had, only time will tell.

Last edited:

Govinda Tim

Apr 13, 2012
Brighton
He was a good manager for us, no arguments. What puzzles me is since he left the club there have been numerous vacancies that have come up, some at very good clubs, yet I don't believe that he has been a serious contender for any of them despite a fairly impressive CV. He is an ambitious man without a doubt so why has no other club made a serious approach for him? Is there a reason for this that we fans are not privy to? I don't believe his upcoming dispute with us would be a barrier to him taking another position so what is it that other clubs know that is putting them off? Having said that, he would do a good job for you but would always be looking for his dream move to Chelsea, Spurs or Leeds but on the plus side (for you) as another poster has pointed out, he knows how to beat Newcastle. You could do worse.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
To be clear to those mentioning Zola for the job he has already publicly said he will stay at Watford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here