Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports reporting that 2 championship clubs have bid for Jordan Rhodes....

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Wednesday and Middlesbrough, according to the commentator on S4C.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
This guy is a 1 in 2 striker in the championship. Baffled by anyone that thinks we shouldn't break the bank for him.

Break the bank? No, he has a decent goalscoring record in this division but the fact that no Premiership clubs with cash to burn have come in for him speaks volumes imo. Of course he doesn't have to be good enough for the Prem at the moment, but £12m plus huge wages is a big risk and if he flopped we wouldn't recoup anywhere near what we'd pay. We are not a club with parachute payments so a more calculated risk is what the club should aim for.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
It's not the transfer fee but the wages.

If he really is on a reported 40K a week then yes that would be an issue. I would (admittedly naively) love to think that a players ambitions would play a part in that we currently have a much better chance than Blackburn of getting promoted but if he can get the wage AND future prospects with one of the other sides mentioned in the thread then he's not coming here anyway.

Whatever the outcome, surely Blackburn need to sell though; huge debts, Rhodes' value declining as his contract runs down and realistically, for them at the moment, he's not going to make the difference in getting them promoted and they should be good enough to still avoid the drop without him.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Couldn't care about his wages. If we are serious about promotion then we need to be serious about the wages we need to pay. Rhodes is an absolute no brainer. With the team we have behind him he will score goals for fun. I would absolutely love it if we signed him.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Couldn't care about his wages. If we are serious about promotion then we need to be serious about the wages we need to pay. Rhodes is an absolute no brainer. With the team we have behind him he will score goals for fun. I would absolutely love it if we signed him.

Agree! Will score plenty in this team! Would surely only move elsewhere for the money!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Bob-Hope-014.jpg

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Yep

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
The club would have to consider the harmony of the team though... I can imagine bringing someone in on anything like 40K a week or even 30K a week for that matter (despite how 'good' they might be) upsetting some of our current players who would then request a wage review etc. What would subsequent signings expect to be paid? No worries IF we go up but it would have the potential to unstabilise the club if wages started to spiral out of control whilst remaining in the Championship.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
The club would have to consider the harmony of the team though... I can imagine bringing someone in on anything like 40K a week or even 30K a week for that matter (despite how 'good' they might be) upsetting some of our current players who would then request a wage review etc. What would subsequent signings expect to be paid? No worries IF we go up but it would have the potential to unstabilise the club if wages started to spiral out of control whilst remaining in the Championship.

So we may aswell never have any ambition then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here