Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports reporting that 2 championship clubs have bid for Jordan Rhodes....

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Would be an unbelievable signing. Anyone who disagrees is, quite simply, a moron. Even if he contributes nothing else to the side, he is a guaranteed goalscorer at this level, which is exactly what we need right now.

I must be a moron then.

For me, our problems in front of goal have been owing to a lack of creativity in the middle and wide areas. I think Knockaert has addressed this in part and the return of LuaLua will help whilst Towell is also a largely unknown quantity who could prove to be an inspired signing.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Boro are, I believe, sticking Stewart Downing much, much more than that per week.

Going back to Rhodes, I simply don't believe we'd be in the running. SkySports are reporting Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: have made a bid, which is no surprise as they have money to burn this season and have now put themselves in a position on the field where they're more attractive to potential signings (unlike in the summer). Boro, meanwhile, made a widely publicised bid for Rhodes last season, and aren't particularly prolific, so it stands to reason they'd go back in.

Either of those two are promotion contenders, they'll pay him the wages he'd be after, and are likely to be happy to pay the fee that Blackburn want. Plus he could probably get away without having to move house, whichever one of those two he chose.

I just don't think he's on our radar.

[tweet]688406962346815489[/tweet]

I agree with your logic Edna. But I do have an impeccable source that says we have made an enquiry.

PG

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As has just been said on Twitter , there is more chance of Taylor Swift going out with the guys from We Are Brighton than there is of us signing Jordan Rhodes.

Rhodes intrigues me, by the way. He's been an absolute guarantee of goals for virtually all his career, and yet not a single Premier League club has apparently been in for him. He's still young, and goals are the most precious commodity in football, so why aren't they flocking to sign him? What is it that's putting them off? Lack of pace?

QPR on the brink of signing Conor Washington from Peterborough for a couple of million. Another striker off the Posh conveyor belt.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The tv money and parachute payments take care of that. It's a gamble paying out high wages and then falling away at the last hurdle. Even if we got Rhodes there is no guarantee that we would finish in the top two and the playoffs are just a lottery.

I don't think we're in for him.

I dont either. Just torn generally in respect of the big wages.

Fulham and cardiff both had tv money and parachute payments and are now under embargo so it doesnt necessarily follow that those payments cover it.
I know next years tv deal is vastly improved on that one but I still have those concerns long term

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Massive pricetag, huge wages, and I fear Rhodes would then catch our "shit striker" virus. Within 3 months, he wouldn't be able to hit Kerry Katona's arse if he was hanging on to her brastrap.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I agree with your logic Edna. But I do have an impeccable source that says we have made an enquiry.

PG

I'd be genuinely stunned if we were in the game. I just don't think we're in that sort of ballpark when it comes to fees.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't welcome him with open arms if, in some strange parallel dimension, it happened. Can't see it though :)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Rhodes has scored a couple penalties against us, but I can't recall him scoring from open play. Goldson was all over him like a rash for 90 mins on Saturday, which is recognition of his ability, but goes to show that he can be nullified by decent defenders - he certainly wouldn't guarantee promotion like some seem to believe.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Rhodes has scored a couple penalties against us, but I can't recall him scoring from open play. Goldson was all over him like a rash for 90 mins on Saturday, which is recognition of his ability, but goes to show that he can be nullified by decent defenders - he certainly wouldn't guarantee promotion like some seem to believe.

We defended well but their tactics were very predictable - lump it at him pretty much.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
As has just been said on Twitter , there is more chance of Taylor Swift going out with the guys from We Are Brighton than there is of us signing Jordan Rhodes.

Rhodes intrigues me, by the way. He's been an absolute guarantee of goals for virtually all his career, and yet not a single Premier League club has apparently been in for him. He's still young, and goals are the most precious commodity in football, so why aren't they flocking to sign him? What is it that's putting them off? Lack of pace?

QPR on the brink of signing Conor Washington from Peterborough for a couple of million. Another striker off the Posh conveyor belt.

I was listening to the commentator on the stream v. Blackburn and he kept mentioning that Rhodes is anonymous most games until he pops up with a goal. He pops up with a fair few of course but it may be that PL clubs don't want to fork out for an unproven (at that level) player who doesn't get involved unless the goal is in sight.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
One of our players is on considerably over £ 42 k a week now

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here