Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Sky/BT Sports & Broadband Haggle

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Quite surprised that Sky are not budging, even though Virgin is offering Broadband+ TV Sports (Sky & BT) at £65 per month.

Sky only offering at £78 per month.

Reluctant to go to Virgin as there are issues with new connections and customer services etc. Also reluctant with BT as it is two years for a contract and BT TV is internet based.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
NowTV hasn't publicly offered their usual season pass yet apart from emailing a few lucky customers with the offer. Fingers crossed they're just leaving it as late as possible to get as many people as they can to sign up at £33 a month.

Inspired by the thread, whilst asknowldeging my recent laziness in not getting around to contacting them, I renegotiated with Sky last week. I had to wait over an hour for webchat.

Realised that in not paying attention the bill had snuck up to over £100 per month. Managed to get upgraded broadband to 'superfast', a free Sky Q box and installation (didn't really need it as HD box is fine) and most TV and all Sky Sports for £75. Not too bad, although my have done better if I'd cancelled etc, but wasn't really in the mood to do the dance with them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is Sky Q better then usual sky

I’ve just switched from cabled dish to Sky Q (was part of the latest ‘cut the price or I’m leaving’ discussion we have about once every 2 years) - have a main box and 2 additional boxes. Installation was pretty quick. The interface is similar, easier to use (voice command on the remote for example) and you can record on one box and watch the playback on another. You can also switch miniboxes between rooms if you need to as they work off wifi. Couple of minor connectivity issues so far, but a quick box reboot solved it (and that is much quicker than with the old HD boxes too). So far, so good.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I’ve just switched from cabled dish to Sky Q (was part of the latest ‘cut the price or I’m leaving’ discussion we have about once every 2 years) - have a main box and 2 additional boxes. Installation was pretty quick. The interface is similar, easier to use (voice command on the remote for example) and you can record on one box and watch the playback on another. You can also switch miniboxes between rooms if you need to as they work off wifi. Couple of minor connectivity issues so far, but a quick box reboot solved it (and that is much quicker than with the old HD boxes too). So far, so good.

Sky Q is still cabled. Additional boxes are wifi

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So the process starts, and a slightly surprising result.

I'm paying £83 a month, I get offered £75 a month then £73 a month.

Expecting this to be a mere smokescreen for the big hit offer I turn them down saying they are just not matching the other offers. I then get a, albeit very polite, '**** off then' verdict. Sky admit they can't match them.

I say this is a shame as I like the service. I issue notice and am asked if they can stay in touch should an offer arrive in the coming days. 'Of course' I say. Feel free to call.

I'm not sure if they will or not.

Hold your nerve

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Choose a supplier that can offer you fast and reliable speeds, then get Iptv, you'll save a fortune. You can get full packages at £50 a year, I've taken out two just incase I get problems with one of them, I'll always have a backup. That yearly is less then what sky/bt/vm charge per month

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
NowTV hasn't publicly offered their usual season pass yet apart from emailing a few lucky customers with the offer. Fingers crossed they're just leaving it as late as possible to get as many people as they can to sign up at £33 a month.

I’ve been waiting for this too and have just used a Telegraph discount link a few mins ago for £25/month for 12 months. Even cheaper using Tesco vouchers exchanged for NOW Tv ones.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Up until lockdown, I've never had Sky, but got it through NowTV once the season got going again. They're cheap, but it's all a bit of a faff: you have to sign in which takes a while (also, changing channels is time-consuming), and then there's not things like a pause function.
You sound like a regular user, do you have the same problems (it might be my set-up with TV box, freeview, etc), or is there a better (although still cheaper) service you can get from NowTV?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I have fastest broadband, movies, box sets sports,entertainment, Q and phone but most important NO bt sports.

I pay £80 for that i asked sky they said i could have bt sports for an additional £14 .

I said what if i cancel movies and box sets they said you only pay £1 for box sets and £12 for all movies.

That would be £81 :lolol:

I think you are about the cheapest ! but good luck. Problem i had with bt when my internet went down. I lost all bt tv channels because mine came through phone line.

Very similar to my deal 6 months ago, I did opt for £14 BT.
If the OP has the same deal Sky Q, mini boxes, Netflix and all channels plus HD at a cheaper price he’s doing well. Not clear to me exactly what the OP is comparing with.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Quite surprised that Sky are not budging, even though Virgin is offering Broadband+ TV Sports (Sky & BT) at £65 per month.

Sky only offering at £78 per month.

Reluctant to go to Virgin as there are issues with new connections and customer services etc. Also reluctant with BT as it is two years for a contract and BT TV is internet based.

Never had a problem with CS from Virgin. The other benefit is that they will replace kit without questions and for free ..... unlike Sky.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
we've had sky for years . . . . recently switched to Virgin, saved money, still get sky sports and seem to have also gained BT sport

I haven't explored much alse as 90% of TV is so gash it makes you want to gouge your eyes out and shove 6" nails in your ears.

Sky kept trying to keep us and eventually their sales monkey said I can't match that . . . . .

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Inspired by this thread I’ve terminated my virgin contract with 30 days notice.

I have 200mb bb, 3xTivo boxes, sky and bt sports, sky cinema, hd, phoneline (never used)
I was paying £100 after a haggle 18 months ago but jumped now to £137 a few months ago (I know, don’t judge me)

They offered same as above but bb 500md and a free SIM with unlimited calls, text and data for £109 (not sure contract length but presumably 18 months)

On advice gleaned from this thread I turned it down but thought it was a good offer from where I am now - I’d save £8+ on my sim so paying c£100 a month for above

What should I hold out for if / when they phone?

Inclined not to move to sky as the bb is not as fast and would need to sort out dishes and landline which is broken, so have a small drag effect on moving away from virgin

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Inspired by this thread I’ve terminated my virgin contract with 30 days notice.

I have 200mb bb, 3xTivo boxes, sky and bt sports, sky cinema, hd, phoneline (never used)
I was paying £100 after a haggle 18 months ago but jumped now to £137 a few months ago (I know, don’t judge me)

They offered same as above but bb 500md and a free SIM with unlimited calls, text and data for £109 (not sure contract length but presumably 18 months)

On advice gleaned from this thread I turned it down but thought it was a good offer from where I am now - I’d save £8+ on my sim so paying c£100 a month for above

What should I hold out for if / when they phone?

Inclined not to move to sky as the bb is not as fast and would need to sort out dishes and landline which is broken, so have a small drag effect on moving away from virgin

Virgin currently offering, what seems like, all that for £79 a month to new customers.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles/ultimate-oomph-bundle

If that fits your requirements I wouldn't take it for less.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
we've had sky for years . . . . recently switched to Virgin, saved money, still get sky sports and seem to have also gained BT sport

I haven't explored much alse as 90% of TV is so gash it makes you want to gouge your eyes out and shove 6" nails in your ears.

Sky kept trying to keep us and eventually their sales monkey said I can't match that . . . . .

What was your Virgin deal mate ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here