Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Sky/BT Sports & Broadband Haggle

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Also, I think they have stopped recording their agents while they are working from home. I had a very long conversation with a fan who was handling my call while he told me all about the great away days he'd had drinking around Europe, clashing with other fans etc. Was quite entertaining, if a bit of a pain as I was trying to work. Thought it was just a tactic to keep me on the phone until I changed my mind but some of the details were not what you'd want your employer to hear. If I'd realised he wasn't being recorded I'd have asked him if he fancied meeting up for a game/sesh.

Working from home wouldnt have an impact on call recording on pretty much any phone system. Not out the question their quality teams arent what they were though or furloughed.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Inspired by this thread I’ve terminated my virgin contract with 30 days notice.

I have 200mb bb, 3xTivo boxes, sky and bt sports, sky cinema, hd, phoneline (never used)
I was paying £100 after a haggle 18 months ago but jumped now to £137 a few months ago (I know, don’t judge me)

They offered same as above but bb 500md and a free SIM with unlimited calls, text and data for £109 (not sure contract length but presumably 18 months)

On advice gleaned from this thread I turned it down but thought it was a good offer from where I am now - I’d save £8+ on my sim so paying c£100 a month for above

What should I hold out for if / when they phone?

Inclined not to move to sky as the bb is not as fast and would need to sort out dishes and landline which is broken, so have a small drag effect on moving away from virgin
Hi Hampster Gull,
I've just been through all of this with Virgin, spent about 8 hours on the live chat and didn't get very far, I was paying about £100 a month - 2 tivo boxes, 300mb broadband, sky sports, cinema and BT sport.
Mine crept up to about £130 as my 18 months was up and my discounts had been taken off.
I was very annoyed that new customers could get the ooomph bundle for about £78 per month for 18 months which is better than i have currently have at a higher cost. I have been a virgin customer for 15 years and probably paid north of 10k over those years (ouch)
they said it was an introductory offer and my argument was that how can it be introductory when the length of contract is the same as they are offering me..I'd understand if it were for 3 or 6 months but it was for the same duration.
I was offered £97 per month on my current contract (not as good as the ooomph) so I cancelled with 30 days notice.
I then got a call about 3 days later from a mobile no. from a virgin representative who said they didn't want to loose me as a customer, upped my broadband speed, added some channels and gave me an unlimited sim card (daughter is very happy)
basically gave me the ooomph deal for £84 per month.

I have the number for the representative if you want me to PM it to you.

hold the nerve!

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I renegotiated with SKY as my previous contract ends next month following a previous 18 month agreement. I have been with them c8 years now.

As per usual said I want to cancel to speak to the retentions team who give the best discounts but this year I was removing sports as I'm now using DAZN

So new price for 12 agreement is is £58 for;

Their top broadband (c60mb)
All channels except sports, kids and movies
Netflix included
HD
Sky Q & one mini box

Also worth remembering the price is likely to go up by c5% every April so factor this into whatever price they offer.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Hi Hampster Gull,
I've just been through all of this with Virgin, spent about 8 hours on the live chat and didn't get very far, I was paying about £100 a month - 2 tivo boxes, 300mb broadband, sky sports, cinema and BT sport.
Mine crept up to about £130 as my 18 months was up and my discounts had been taken off.
I was very annoyed that new customers could get the ooomph bundle for about £78 per month for 18 months which is better than i have currently have at a higher cost. I have been a virgin customer for 15 years and probably paid north of 10k over those years (ouch)
they said it was an introductory offer and my argument was that how can it be introductory when the length of contract is the same as they are offering me..I'd understand if it were for 3 or 6 months but it was for the same duration.
I was offered £97 per month on my current contract (not as good as the ooomph) so I cancelled with 30 days notice.
I then got a call about 3 days later from a mobile no. from a virgin representative who said they didn't want to loose me as a customer, upped my broadband speed, added some channels and gave me an unlimited sim card (daughter is very happy)
basically gave me the ooomph deal for £84 per month.

I have the number for the representative if you want me to PM it to you.

hold the nerve!

Appreciate this Reagulls, thanks for the response and great to hear your result. I will hold out for better and will ask for the number from you if I don’t hear anything. Let’s see. And I’m sure your daughters very happy :)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So the annual haggle is completed after much negotiation and brinkmanship

'Superfast' Broadband
Sky Tv
Sky Sports
BT Sports

£70 a month.

More than greedy me wanted to pay, less than they wanted to offer it at.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Just got (what I think) is a good deal with Virgin.

2 x Virgin V6 boxes

The full Sky + BT Sports HD packages
Sky Cinema
Entertainment package

500Mb B/band

Unlimited land-line and mobile calls on the home phone

1 x Unlimited data, calls and texts sim

All for £79 a month for 18 months.

For an extra £7 a month I got the wife an 8Gb SIM with unlimited calls and texts.

Saving us around £50 a month and a not too shabby £900 over the 18 month contract.
What with Sky and BT not wanting the PPV games (as it's apparently ruining their reputations) I can see the Premier League giving in allowing all games to be shown on Sky and BT as part of their sports packages. The package online is the Ultimate Oomph Bundle at £89 but when I called the number on screen the agent reduced this to £79 without me even asking.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Just got (what I think) is a good deal with Virgin.

2 x Virgin V6 boxes

The full Sky + BT Sports HD packages
Sky Cinema
Entertainment package

500Mb B/band

Unlimited land-line and mobile calls on the home phone

1 x Unlimited data, calls and texts sim

All for £79 a month for 18 months.

For an extra £7 a month I got the wife an 8Gb SIM with unlimited calls and texts.

Saving us around £50 a month and a not too shabby £900 over the 18 month contract.
What with Sky and BT not wanting the PPV games (as it's apparently ruining their reputations) I can see the Premier League giving in allowing all games to be shown on Sky and BT as part of their sports packages. The package online is the Ultimate Oomph Bundle at £89 but when I called the number on screen the agent reduced this to £79 without me even asking.

Yes that’s good. I have got the same package a couple of days ago but with three V6 not two for £89 so a bit more than you. They cut it fine, when I gave notice they offered £109 which I didn’t bite on and they didn’t re offer until the night before I was being cut off. Also being offered a second sim, £8 for 15g or £4 for 3G so similar to you, not sure worth haggling on that

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I tried to reduce our VM bill last week and it was a complete waste of time. Can't seem to do any of it through My Virgin Media, so phoned them instead. We're on the big bundle deal, £95 pm. We have to have a land-line for the in-laws calling, so said can we reduce that to evening and weekends, sure that saves you £2 a month. OK... Can I reduce the broadband as well to 100mb, sure that saves you £3 a month. OK... Can I reduce the TV? Yep, we'll strip away bt sports, the documentary channels (which we watch) and that'll save you £10 a month. £15 a month saving for such a reduction of services was pointless.

That’s nuts, we are on the same bundle and I’m bitching that my cost has gone up from £68 to £79 in the last 12 months. Just how liquid is their pricing?

They were dropping their pants today when I insisted I was leaving due to the massive price increase. The only problem was when he said “we will match last years price for 12 months if you...”

And the virgin phone service for the whole of BH23 failed. :rolleyes:

You couldn’t make it up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unlike all the savvy NSC’ers who are often on the case of Virgin or Sky, I make that call to Virgin about every 5 years. Paying more that you lot.

But last week Virgin emailed me, after my contract ended.

Our fast fibre and landline is with another ISP, so it’s just cable TV.

I was paying £86 for BT Sports, all Sky Sports channels and the remaining bundle without Sky Cinema.

Now reduced to £70 with Sky Cinema. Satisfied with that, now I’ll forget about it.

Next discussion with Virgin will be years away

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I renegotiated with SKY as my previous contract ends next month following a previous 18 month agreement. I have been with them c8 years now.

As per usual said I want to cancel to speak to the retentions team who give the best discounts but this year I was removing sports as I'm now using DAZN

So new price for 12 agreement is is £58 for;

Their top broadband (c60mb)
All channels except sports, kids and movies
Netflix included
HD
Sky Q & one mini box

Also worth remembering the price is likely to go up by c5% every April so factor this into whatever price they offer.

Isn't DAZN out of Canada, isnt it blocked in the UK?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Isn't DAZN out of Canada, isnt it blocked in the UK?

I have been trying to download DAZN using Express VPN but without success. When I chatted to them they advised me that once I managed to download if (which I haven’t) I would have to register a credit card with an address in the country I was using (tried Canada, Japan, Germany and Spain without success)

How are those of you who have DAZN getting around inputting a credit card not liked to an address in the country your VPN is using?

I am using a ROKU stick. It has allowed me to get SKY BOX OFFICE though to pay for the Spurs game. That was hard work too!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I have been trying to download DAZN using Express VPN but without success. When I chatted to them they advised me that once I managed to download if (which I haven’t) I would have to register a credit card with an address in the country I was using (tried Canada, Japan, Germany and Spain without success)

How are those of you who have DAZN getting around inputting a credit card not liked to an address in the country your VPN is using?

I am using a ROKU stick. It has allowed me to get SKY BOX OFFICE though to pay for the Spurs game. That was hard work too!

Think the challenge is even if you have a Canada address they will block well known VPNs like Express, Nord etc

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

PM sent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here