Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The other thing to do is, presuming money is tighter, I’d ask yourself if you really need eg a landline as well as a mobile, how many matches do you really watch and what type etc versus a particular service offering? I don’t need any of the sports channels, I love Brighton only and have little time or interest to watch other teams. So be a complete and expensive waste to subscribe monthly given our coverage on. Instead NowTV passes and frankly, illegal streaming, suffices. I even enjoy Radio 5 coverage occasionally when we’re the featured game and can also multitask (take wife out in car)! All in the planning and let’s face it, all fans need degrees in PL fixtures & logistics these days to follow their teams.

So I'm in the middle of a Sky deal where I paired it right down to a landline (I work from home so thought I needed it really), broadband, and the basic TV package, which included Netflix as an offer and it is about £40pcm. I'm now halfway through and thinking we don't even need the TV package as I'm just watching Prime, Netflix, iPlayer, 4Player, Disney+ through the smart TV menu. I watch a bit of Sky Atlantic and Comedy but that is about it. Think next time I'm going to just ditch the landline and take the business to just mobile number only, and just get a good deal for Broadband. Any sports events etc. I'll just a NowTV pass, ditching Sky / Virgin altogether.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Can't get Virgin BUT that is nice haggling tool. Thanks for sharing.

My contract with Sky finishes at the end of October. If they won't match my current deal then I will use BT or Virgin against them. Done it many times in the past and a 30 minute phone call can and will save you hundreds of pounds a year. Look at their competitor deals online and see what they are offering, when you speak to Sky let them know what other options you have found. The retentions department has the most flexibility in offering a deal. Tell them if they come up with a good deal then you would be willing to sign up for 12 or even 18 months.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There is a thread on Martin Money Saving Expert forum where people post what deals they are getting.

When I last did this 'dance' a year ago - you had to actually cancel and you have a 30 day cooling offer period. I was getting all sorts of deals through the post, on the set up boxes and eventually settled on a reasonable deal about 7 days before I was due to be cut off

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I tried to reduce our VM bill last week and it was a complete waste of time. Can't seem to do any of it through My Virgin Media, so phoned them instead. We're on the big bundle deal, £95 pm. We have to have a land-line for the in-laws calling, so said can we reduce that to evening and weekends, sure that saves you £2 a month. OK... Can I reduce the broadband as well to 100mb, sure that saves you £3 a month. OK... Can I reduce the TV? Yep, we'll strip away bt sports, the documentary channels (which we watch) and that'll save you £10 a month. £15 a month saving for such a reduction of services was pointless.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The only issue with that is that the Virgin TV interface is completely shite.

I'm now Sky but had Virgin Tivo up until recently, and to be honest both are shite really, I much prefer my LG smart TV OS interface, which as said above I'm now using far more than the Sky box. Time to bin all the big boys off for me once the current contract is up.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm now Sky but had Virgin Tivo up until recently, and to be honest both are shite really, I much prefer my LG smart TV OS interface, which as said above I'm now using far more than the Sky box. Time to bin all the big boys off for me once the current contract is up.
Interesting. Have used Virgin and it was terrible but I love Sky Q.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Also, I think they have stopped recording their agents while they are working from home. I had a very long conversation with a fan who was handling my call while he told me all about the great away days he'd had drinking around Europe, clashing with other fans etc. Was quite entertaining, if a bit of a pain as I was trying to work. Thought it was just a tactic to keep me on the phone until I changed my mind but some of the details were not what you'd want your employer to hear. If I'd realised he wasn't being recorded I'd have asked him if he fancied meeting up for a game/sesh.

theboybilly

[/I]

ps I hate the BT telly menu appearance. I only watch football (any and all), BBC1, Sky arts and Dave. We have kids channels for the sprog. Scrolling through the BT channel list is like some sort of telliatric bingo roulette. Disgusting and frankly nauseating.

I hate the BT interface thingy too (and the fact that they put the score down in the bottom left corner - Sky tried that so I emailed them and they put it back in its rightful place :drama:
I went back to Sky after just a few days.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I hate the BT interface thingy too (and the fact that they put the score down in the bottom left corner - Sky tried that so I emailed them and they put it back in its rightful place :drama:
I went back to Sky after just a few days.

My dad worked for the GPO and my little brother worked for BT. A shitehouse company back then and a shitehouse company today, so it seems.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So the process starts, and a slightly surprising result.

I'm paying £83 a month, I get offered £75 a month then £73 a month.

Expecting this to be a mere smokescreen for the big hit offer I turn them down saying they are just not matching the other offers. I then get a, albeit very polite, '**** off then' verdict. Sky admit they can't match them.

I say this is a shame as I like the service. I issue notice and am asked if they can stay in touch should an offer arrive in the coming days. 'Of course' I say. Feel free to call.

I'm not sure if they will or not.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It's that time again.

I currently pay £83 a month for:

Sky broadband (inc line rental etc)
Sky Entertainment
Sky Sports (all channels)
BT Sport add-on (all channels)

I love a good haggle me and expect to get the price down. But I'd be interested for some pointers from those who have done this recently.

I could use moving to BT as a card here so I know I've got the upper hand. But how low can I get the price ?

Got the same same as you (but not BT sports) for £49 a month, although I did have to agree to an 18 month contract (did that back in June)

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Also, I think they have stopped recording their agents while they are working from home. I had a very long conversation with a fan who was handling my call while he told me all about the great away days he'd had drinking around Europe, clashing with other fans etc. Was quite entertaining, if a bit of a pain as I was trying to work. Thought it was just a tactic to keep me on the phone until I changed my mind but some of the details were not what you'd want your employer to hear. If I'd realised he wasn't being recorded I'd have asked him if he fancied meeting up for a game/sesh.

I would have thought they are still being recorded. My old company has its staff working from home but all calls are still taped.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I went as far as cancelling Sky last year. A week into the cancel period a lovely lady from Belfast called me - completely different sky department, any way £45 for Sky + sports. They aloso gave me a free q box and recabled it all for free

phoenix

May 18, 2009
So the process starts, and a slightly surprising result.

I'm paying £83 a month, I get offered £75 a month then £73 a month.

Expecting this to be a mere smokescreen for the big hit offer I turn them down saying they are just not matching the other offers. I then get a, albeit very polite, '**** off then' verdict. Sky admit they can't match them.

I say this is a shame as I like the service. I issue notice and am asked if they can stay in touch should an offer arrive in the coming days. 'Of course' I say. Feel free to call.

I'm not sure if they will or not.

Yes i'm not surprised as i said earlier. You did well to beat me by £7 you bugger :annoyed: :D Mind you i can stream on up to 6 devices, apparently.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Not that it helps you wanting to reduce your bill, but VM just phoned me and offered their highest package going, all sky cinema, sky sports, highest broadband, the lot for £100 a month, so basically an extra £5 than we're paying now. 18 month contract, but we're not moving anytime soon, so thought why not.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Not that it helps you wanting to reduce your bill, but VM just phoned me and offered their highest package going, all sky cinema, sky sports, highest broadband, the lot for £100 a month, so basically an extra £5 than we're paying now. 18 month contract, but we're not moving anytime soon, so thought why not.

Got the same but with 2 boxes. Also gave me a free sim with unlimited data. £93 a month

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So I'm in the middle of a Sky deal where I paired it right down to a landline (I work from home so thought I needed it really), broadband, and the basic TV package, which included Netflix as an offer and it is about £40pcm. I'm now halfway through and thinking we don't even need the TV package as I'm just watching Prime, Netflix, iPlayer, 4Player, Disney+ through the smart TV menu. I watch a bit of Sky Atlantic and Comedy but that is about it. Think next time I'm going to just ditch the landline and take the business to just mobile number only, and just get a good deal for Broadband. Any sports events etc. I'll just a NowTV pass, ditching Sky / Virgin altogether.

Yep, what we did. To use our landline we now have to pay a connection fee and it’s something like 25p a minute. But we rarely used it, have thousands of free mobile minutes so worth the £250 a year saving really. We hardly get inbound calls on it in fairness. If we do, we know immediately it’s one of about 3 OAPs and they’re disappearing fast with each year sadly! Nope, landlines are redundant. It’s official.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here