Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Singers/bands that are very successful and good but you just can't like.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Can't believe we have got to page three without any mention of Phil Collins!

Me too and I really like Phil Collins, I understand that some people hate his voice and the stuff was over played in the 80's. But the music he has played on is so diverse, some of the music from earlier albums and genesis stuff are so far from "a groovy kind of love" it's unbelievable.

I have no problems at all with people disliking his music or not like him as perceived in the media, but he is undeniably talented.

I hate Michael Buble he was on the Radio and TV so much over Christmas he ruined my favourite holiday.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
There's plenty of genres out there to please everybody, and I don't 'hate' any music type at all...and frankly I find music snobbery bizarre and ignorant...but amongst my 200,000 track collection, there's little space for The Doors

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A lot that have already been said: Adele, U2, RHCP, Muse etc.

I'd like to add Kings of Leon. I dislike them to the point that if I hear one of their songs come on the radio I immediately switch stations.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Opinion opinion opinion. I wonder if there is genuinely a successful band out there, that nobody on here likes

If I didn't like Coldplay, it could be them! I have seldom seen such unison as the dislike of Coldplay on NSC.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I struggle to listen to more than one song by Michael Jackson without switching him off.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Sorry but I can't be doing with music snobs. I love listening to pop music, both old and new and I do it because I like it, no-one pressures me into listening to it.

Never been called a music snob before, that's actually quite amusing.
Nothing snobby about my taste in music or the fact that I don't buy into the crap they force feed people on the radio and TV. Just my opinion.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Johnny Cash, nearly everything has a similar beat and sounds like the same song re arranged but he's seen as soooo cool that I must be deaf :smile:

Can we BIN Ring of Fire pre kick off this season please.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Anything and anyone whose music is mainstream. Mass produced garbage for the sheep that have no imagination and just listen to stuff because their mates do.

What do you do when a band you like becomes successful?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I've spoken on other threads about Macy Gray, but I would lump Amy Winehouse into that "fingernails down blackboard" category.

Also, Bellowhead. They sound like they read a book describing what folk music sounds like, without actually ever hearing any.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
That wrote their own songs and played their instruments and broke new ground but other than that just like all the other boy bands :rolleyes:

Fair call, I was thinking more of the jolly ditties that their songs seem to have become, and their screaming female fanbase back in their heyday.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I've made a vague effort to get along with this critically and commercially successful bunch but knew early doors they were not for me. Not sure why, well apart from Broooce who is so earnest it hurts my head.

Springsteen
Jay Z
Prince
Radiohead

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
What do you do when a band you like becomes successful?

The stuff I listen to will never be mainstream. It's dark, aggressive, really hard kicks, definitely an acquired taste.
I used to listen to a lot of drum n bass when I was younger, I loved it because it was underground and untouched by radio stations and large labels, but now with the likes of Chase and Status, Dj Fresh, Rudimental etc, the arse has fallen out of the D&B genre. Once it was deemed "cool" by the masses the music changed for the worse.
The heavy basslines were replaced with mundane generic singing, instead of thumping kicks you now get sped up high hats and snares, the pop culture has ruined that genre and also spawned god awful Dub-step.
There is still some decent D&B, Jump up still uses the distorted, heavy basslines, but the scene will never be the same.

The stuff I listen to (and have done since I was 11) is hardcore, Dutch in origin but Spain and Italy have a decent scene too.
It varies from 150bpm all the way past 200bpm.
I've attached a video which should break it to you gently, it samples "I've got the power - Snap" but you'll soon get the idea of the style of music once the beat drops. Enjoy (or most likely, not)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here