Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Singers/bands that are very successful and good but you just can't like.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Prince - I don't get what all the fuss is about :shrug:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Bob Dylan? Snow Patrol? :(

I'm gonna contraversially throw Oasis in the mix

Oh yeh! Oasis big time, I'd forgotten how much I dislike them.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Michael Jackson
Amy Whinehouse
The Smiths
Gary Barlow

Michael Jackson - agreed, I don't rate stevie Wonder either, not since he made puberty anyway.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Been mentioned loads of times on this thread, but needs another mention, Adele.

That dullard Ellie Goulding also deserves a mention, her and Adele are manufactured music for commercial radio stations like Heart FM.

Coldplay are not my favourite band and I don't own any of their albums, but at least they play instruments.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cant be the only person who actually likes Adele surely. I cannot stand Michael Buble, Olly Murs or Peter Andre but cannot say I am aware of listening to anything by Muse, they dont play it/them on Smooth I dont think.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
An interesting read, and while I don't agree he does raise a number of interesting points.

Certainly the Beatles were mainly writers of 3 and 4 minute songs (mainly) and never ventured into the Velvet Underground or Pink Floyd soundscape. The point about removing any trace of black music from rock and roll is a comment more about the times than anything else. Elvis Presley was basically the same, in that by removing any trace of black music, his records were played on the radio and brought by white teenagers. It has always been acknowledged that the Beatles and others incorporated early American rock 'n' roll and blues into their music and exported it back to the States.

I also don't believe that the Beatles ever thought or themselves as the best musicians around in the 1960s and have always seen Clapton, and then Hendrix as far better guitarists than themselves. They also knew that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the band.

We all know that talent doesn't always equal significant record sales, and significant record sales doesn't mean that the artist is hugely talented.

It is doubtful that after returning from the army, that Elvis Presley wouldn't have sold as many records as he did without the success of his early singles before he joined the army, as his output moved towards safe middle of the road.

Clearly music is always down to the listener and how they react to the sound, and the more someone likes the songs the more likely they are to say that the artist is talented, hence all those polls in the music magazines back in the day nearly always resulted in the best singer, guitarist, etc being from popular bands.

Not liking the Beatles should not be an issue, they were at their height 50 years ago and music has moved on, which can be seen from any top100 albums of all time which has complied since the 2000s, in that previously the Beatles were always guaranteed to have at least 3 albums in the top 10, but now all their albums receive a lower position.

Made in 2003. Their music is still better than 90% of what's been since. What has come close to them in the last 20 years?
http://www.listchallenges.com/rolling-stones-top-100-albums

Pleased no one's mentioned Abba.

Here are some of my picks:
Muse
Radiohead
The Smiths
George Ezra
Prince
Any rap stuff that comes out these days.
Any pop song with rap in. Totally ruins what could be an okay pop song.
Almost every pop act today. Everyone sounds the same. Oh...

And COLDPLAY!
Used to be quite good, then turned into the biggest sell outs of all time, and the music got unbelievably boring.

I was made to listen to Radio 1 a few months ago, and was surprised at how terrible the music was. It literally gets worse every year. Almost every song has to have rap in it unless it's people like Taylor Swift, Katy Perry etc. It's all aimed at a London audience unfortunately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here