Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Singers/bands that are very successful and good but you just can't like.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Music is about opinions, but can never understand why any one likes Madonna, so overrated, did anyone see her on Liveaid singing live ?, awful.

True. But I did have the serious hots for her in the Papa Don't Preach video. She was one very sexy lady back then. :love:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Sticking to the question.

Manic Street Preachers and Radiohead.

Two hugely and rightly successful bands that friends outside my inner coterie would probably assume I adore. They both have a few songs that I quite like but if I was offered a free ticket to see them at the Concorde I'd turn it down as it would be wasted on me (as I did when offered a ticket for Foo Fighters).

Straying from the question.

Could be said that massive commercial success in popular culture by definition means it/ they is 'good' a in good at what it/they do. Didn't/don't like 'Avatar', Harry Potter books or films, goat or feta cheese.

Or lager.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bob Dylan may be clouded by the fact I saw him live in Sydney and he was dreadful, mumbling and incoherent. Snow Patrol are Coldplay lite. Awful.

Dylan is in my top three all time greats but he also heads by a margin the most disappointing live gig I have ever been to. Wembley in the early eighties I believe and it was just a wall of noise and immensely disappointing.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Miley Cyrus
Bob Dylan
Foo Fighters
Justin Bieber
All boy/girl "bands", Take That being the worst offenders
Olly Murs
Michael Buble

Any band whose audience get lighters out when they sing a "love" song or whatever. That immediately and automatically means that they are crap.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sticking to the question.

Manic Street Preachers and Radiohead.

Two hugely and rightly successful bands that friends outside my inner coterie would probably assume I adore. They both have a few songs that I quite like but if I was offered a free ticket to see them at the Concorde I'd turn it down as it would be wasted on me (as I did when offered a ticket for Foo Fighters).

Straying from the question.

Could be said that massive commercial success in popular culture by definition means it/ they is 'good' a in good at what it/they do. Didn't/don't like 'Avatar', Harry Potter books or films, goat or feta cheese.

Or lager.

Funnily enough MSP and Radiohead are two bands many who know me would assume I don't like but that I really, really do, especially Radiohead,

The second bit's almost a whole new thread isn't it? There's some popular things I really like (Warhol art, Peter James books, Australian Shiraz off the top of my head) and some I really really don't get the popularity of (Dan Brown, Disney, Pinot Grigio)

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The current raft of insipid female singers who are more famous for their love lives and wearing skimpy clothes than any quality music.

Taylor Swift
Ellie Goulding
Pixie Lott

Oh and James Bay - Hold Back the River my a*rse

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Adele, - SURELY not that many can like that over indulgent, whiny, soulless rubbish. And also because it's so terribly DULL. Its 'singing' not 'music'.
Muse - Over theatrical rubbish apart from Supermassiveblackhole.
James Morrison (another Chris Martin look a like) and all their clones - Ed Sheeran, Odell, Blake, etc..all the same, more boring music.
Edit - oh yes, Taylor Swift, Ellie Goulding and the other raft of women who sing with that particular growl (basically can't sing that well so are taught to sing that way). Over emotional singing with a screwed up face is really annoying and comes across as even less soulful.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whoa there, Gregory Porter is superb..... of all the successful artists out there to open with

Now Coldplay, don't get me started.

There ya go, I feel the exact opposite to you :shrug:

I don't deny Porter is very good but he bores the arse off me and I have to turn him off within minutes. Luckily we don't all like and loathe the same artists.

Coldplay are undoubtably the most disliked big artists on NSC.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Wombles - manufactured drivel.

Like everyone else.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
There ya go, I feel the exact opposite to you :shrug:

I don't deny Porter is very good but he bores the arse off me and I have to turn him off within minutes. Luckily we don't all like and loathe the same artists.

Coldplay are undoubtably the most disliked big artists on NSC.

agreed, the world would be a very dull place if we all liked the same thing especially Coldplay :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here