Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Simple question. Why no catering staff?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
. If someone asked me a question in the pub, I'd tell them the answer (if I knew it)

This is the point I’m making, you would be polite and not tell them to do 30 seconds research, the OP has asked a genuine question in my opinion, plenty have commented. Not sure what your issue is.

This could actually be a useful thread if someone looking for work read post 2 :thumbsup:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
And let’s not forget it’s dealing with the Great British public!

Yep. That's the other part.

Having to deal with the kinds of people who would start a thread on a message board complaining that there aren't enough poor people to serve them their gristle and ale.

F**k that for a laugh.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ha! And there is the nub of it. You literally could not pay me enough money to make me serve beer and burgers to football fans.

Yes. As a middle aged man and mask wearer with far more experience of twatty types than I'd reasonably like both yours and [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] 's posts on this thread make complete sense.

But no one is asking US to work there. Students at the Uni seem to need to be able to be bribed £5000 to get vaccinated and, despite studying for double firsts in really complex stuff, can't seem to spell social distancing, let alone carry it out.

When they need a bit of loan top up money they'll be signing up on the basis that, after a couple of hours dealing with the likes of "us", they're free to do sod all for 45 mins except earn minimum living wage flirting with that sort from History over a congealing cheese burger.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure how this thread has reached 7 pages already. Question asked in post one and answered in post two. Didn't even need the thread in the first place with 30 seconds research.

Blimey, you're a laugh.

Thread title: Are we signing Messi?
First post in response: No
You: CLOSE THE THREAD.

Thread title: Were the trains a bit rubbish yesterday?
First post in response: Yes

Thread title: Post the best song you've heard today
First post in response: You, posting a video of SSE doing Copperhead Road.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
…after a couple of hours dealing with the likes of "us", they're free to do sod all for 45 mins except earn minimum living wage flirting with that sort from History over a congealing cheese burger.

Mmmm…:glare: You make a compelling case. Is it possible to reconsider my earlier position?

“I’ve always been fascinated by history, Treacle. Obvs.”

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Dear Supporter,

Unfortunately, yesterday was a disappointing and frustrating day on and off the field for Albion fans, for our staff, and for our catering partner, Sodexo, alike.

Whilst we were beaten by a better Everton side on the day, off the field our service to you was not at the level you’ve come to expect or we strive to achieve, and we can only apologise.

The ongoing pandemic is continuing to have have a significant effect on our matchday staffing levels - and this is, in turn, impacting on us in a range of different areas.

In particular, Sodexo’s catering staff numbers are currently over 40% lower than we would like. Unfortunately, filling the gaps we have is proving to be very difficult indeed.

We are also operating with lower stewarding levels than we would prefer, which is making our COVID pass and ID checking operation even more challenging.

We do not currently have access to our usual university student workforce; and our usual agencies have been unable to supply staff from other areas of the south of England.

In addition, recognising we can typically only offer 19 or so shifts over 10 months, some staff are understandably choosing to take more regular work at other hospitality venues.

Adding complexity to how we might plan for or overcome these difficulties is the very late withdrawal of staff that had been booked to work at the stadium.

Whilst we fully appreciate that long queues and slower service in lounges and concourses are very frustrating, please remain patient with the staff that have shown up to work.

We need the staff we have to support us in the matches ahead, and not be put off from doing so due to abusive comments. Many are young and inexperienced, but are doing their best.

We will be working with Sodexo between now and Leicester City’s visit to review our current operations, and to prepare a contingency plan to improve service during this period.

We believe it’s a short term issue. The return of universities, and fewer competing hospitality events as we move out of the holiday season and in to Autumn should help moving forward.

We also hope that higher vaccination levels, and more confidence in the stadium environment being as safe as possible, will boost the numbers available or willing to work.

In the meantime, you may not have as wide a choice of food or drink as you may like, and queues may be longer, but we would ask for your patience, and also support for our staff.

Finally, catering aside, our priority will be continue to ensure the stadium environment is as safe as it can be, so our checks will continue.

We are grateful for your understanding of all the operational challenges we are facing in these early weeks of trying to get match days with fans back to normal after 18 months.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the Bank Holiday weekend.

Best wishes,

Paul Barber
Chief Executive and Deputy Chairman

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whilst we fully appreciate that long queues and slower service in lounges and concourses are very frustrating, please remain patient with the staff that have shown up to work.

We need the staff we have to support us in the matches ahead, and not be put off from doing so due to abusive comments. Many are young and inexperienced, but are doing their best.

People should adhere to this in general. I’ve written before about some of the rude, snide and patronizing way some fans deal with the catering staff.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
People should adhere to this in general. I’ve written before about some of the rude, snide and patronizing way some fans deal with the catering staff.

Absolutely!!! There’s no excuse.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
In the light of a fairly average performance on the field, my relative priorities are 1. Strengthening the squad 2. Strengthening the squad ..... 58. wittering on about the catering.

Mr Barber, you have not been charged for this advice.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe they need to pay more to get the kiosks full of staff .

Thought Watford was bad but yesterday was biggest shit show since we moved to the Amex .

Needs sorting out as not only are they probably losing sales but it’s pissing fans off too .

Has it occured to you that we now have Covid and Brexit and that these unprecedented events may have contrubuted to this unprecedented shit show?

Who do you think should sort it out?

:shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Dear Supporter,

Unfortunately, yesterday was a disappointing and frustrating day on and off the field for Albion fans, for our staff, and for our catering partner, Sodexo, alike.

Whilst we were beaten by a better Everton side on the day, off the field our service to you was not at the level you’ve come to expect or we strive to achieve, and we can only apologise.

The ongoing pandemic is continuing to have have a significant effect on our matchday staffing levels - and this is, in turn, impacting on us in a range of different areas.

In particular, Sodexo’s catering staff numbers are currently over 40% lower than we would like. Unfortunately, filling the gaps we have is proving to be very difficult indeed.

We are also operating with lower stewarding levels than we would prefer, which is making our COVID pass and ID checking operation even more challenging.

We do not currently have access to our usual university student workforce; and our usual agencies have been unable to supply staff from other areas of the south of England.

In addition, recognising we can typically only offer 19 or so shifts over 10 months, some staff are understandably choosing to take more regular work at other hospitality venues.

Adding complexity to how we might plan for or overcome these difficulties is the very late withdrawal of staff that had been booked to work at the stadium.

We will be working with Sodexo between now and Leicester City’s visit to review our current operations, and to prepare a contingency plan to improve service during this period.

We believe it’s a short term issue. The return of universities, and fewer competing hospitality events as we move out of the holiday season and in to Autumn should help moving forward.

We also hope that higher vaccination levels, and more confidence in the stadium environment being as safe as possible, will boost the numbers available or willing to work.

In the meantime, you may not have as wide a choice of food or drink as you may like, and queues may be longer, but we would ask for your patience, and also support for our staff.

Finally, catering aside, our priority will be continue to ensure the stadium environment is as safe as it can be, so our checks will continue.

We are grateful for your understanding of all the operational challenges we are facing in these early weeks of trying to get match days with fans back to normal after 18 months.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the Bank Holiday weekend.

Best wishes,

Paul Barber
Chief Executive and Deputy Chairman

Brilliant, and poetical. Some great examples of iambic pentameter there, along with an occasional haiku :bowdown:

Plus he resisted the temptation to bottypork Boris for it. It is of course too early to say whether Covid, or the clown prince of his own willy are the primary reasons for acute staff shortages in the lower paid sector. But time will tell.

Something about the Golgafrincham b ark. Whatever.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
It's a fair response from PB and absolutely no justification to abuse staff who were working. East upper queues were long but staff there were doing their best.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's a fair response from PB and absolutely no justification to abuse staff who were working. East upper queues were long but staff there were doing their best.

Agreed………pie, long wait for a pie or no pie is a marginal issue when going to a match.

It’ll improve when the kids arrive at Uni.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Blimey, you're a laugh.

Thread title: Are we signing Messi?
First post in response: No

Thread title: Were the trains a bit rubbish yesterday?
First post in response: Yes

Thread title: Post the best song you've heard today
First post in response: You, posting a video of SSE doing Copperhead Road.

I think you have mistaken me for somebody who repeatedly suggests 'Close the Thread' :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here