Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Simple question. Why no catering staff?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He probably reads NSC more than anyone (in between writing long emails).

I would if I had his job………

Probably thinks we’re a bunch of ****s though :lolol::lolol::lolol:

"Paul? It's Tony. Any chance you could pop through to the Boardroom for a minute to go through the financials?
"Oh FFS, can it wait? I'm in the middle of an argument on Who Has The Best Hat in Rock and Roll."

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I think the mistake that Sodexo and others are making is to ignore the untapped pool of workers out there who could easily do this sort of work. By that I mean the retired.
Just because you turn 66 doesn't mean you turn into a dribbling incontinent half-wit.
I'm sure there are thousands of sensible intelligent retirees in the city who would be happy to put in a shift, 19 or so times a season, to bump up their pensions.
I'm not far off that age myself and if I wasn't a fan, I'd jump at the chance to earn a few extra quid pulling pints etc.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think the mistake that Sodexo and others are making is to ignore the untapped pool of workers out there who could easily do this sort of work. By that I mean the retired.
Just because you turn 66 doesn't mean you turn into a dribbling incontinent half-wit.
I'm sure there are thousands of sensible intelligent retirees in the city who would be happy to put in a shift, 19 or so times a season, to bump up their pensions.
I'm not far off that age myself and if I wasn't a fan, I'd jump at the chance to earn a few extra quid pulling pints etc.

Getting the retired back into work may well be part of the answer. The Government is going to have to find some way to plug these hundreds of thousands of minimum wage jobs across Fruit and Veg picking, Food preparation, Care Homes, Hospitality, Catering, HGV drivers etc etc.

Maybe the Government, knowing for the last few years that this was going to happen and planning ahead, are going to get rid of the triple lock pension as part of a carrot and stick plan to fill all these vacancies ???

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
It's years since I bought anything in a football stadium. It's MASSIVELY expensive/overpriced and to guarantee a pint/food and time to queue and eat it i'll have to miss some football, which I've paid a fortune and travelled a long way to see.

I don't find that an issue and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Genuine question...

Why can't you have a pint in the pub on the way to the match, then hang on a couple of hours and have another in the pub afterwards...and likewise get a snack/pie/burger from Tesco and then have your tea when you get home?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

If I was 65 and relaxing in my stiflingly hot flat, tv blaring out and cabbage on the boil wading through my latest crossword puzzle…..quite possibly the last thing I’d consider is pulling pints for football supporters.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If I was 65 and relaxing in my stiflingly hot flat, tv blaring out and cabbage on the boil wading through my latest crossword puzzle…..quite possibly the last thing I’d consider is pulling pints for football supporters.

Which is why the Government is offering 'encouragement' by cutting Universal credit, Furlough payments and reviewing the Triple lock on pensions ???

Ppf and JCFG will be pulling pints in the WSU by the time Man City roll up, mark my words

14634871.jpg

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's years since I bought anything in a football stadium. It's MASSIVELY expensive/overpriced and to guarantee a pint/food and time to queue and eat it i'll have to miss some football, which I've paid a fortune and travelled a long way to see.

I don't find that an issue and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Genuine question...

Why can't you have a pint in the pub on the way to the match, then hang on a couple of hours and have another in the pub afterwards...and likewise get a snack/pie/burger from Tesco and then have your tea when you get home?

I have to agree with some of what you say here, I’ve been to almost every match at the Amex and bought food less than 10 times.

For me buying food at a football ground is a last resort for me, I can understand it’s useful for fans that have travelled some distance on a coach or train without being able to stop and buy food. Or for fans coming straight from work.
I definitely wouldn’t be relying on buying food or drink at the Amex when I have walk past cafes, shops and pubs on my way to the station.

For many fans the buying a pie seems some sort of novelty, I see posts on Twitter with photos and captions “ I’m at the Amex with my pie”

I no longer drink alcohol but did used to stay behind after a match to have a pint, chat with friends from other stands and wait for the train queue to die down.

el punal

A weird suggestion here - and it probably goes against the club’s catering policy - but why not invite external, independent one-man band type caterers to hire a kiosk on match days? A kind of pop up foodie stall if you like. The club will receive some sort of revenue, the fans will have more choice of grub being offered and those independent caterers will welcome an unexpected promotion for their services.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
A weird suggestion here - and it probably goes against the club’s catering policy - but why not invite external, independent one-man band type caterers to hire a kiosk on match days? A kind of pop up foodie stall if you like. The club will receive some sort of revenue, the fans will have more choice of grub being offered and those independent caterers will welcome an unexpected promotion for their services.

Lol - I understand, and to an extent support the idea - but have you not seen the howls of outrage when the East Lower has sausage rolls on offer, and the West Upper doesn't? Or the North Stand still has chicken balti pies at halftime, when the East Upper sold out before kickoff?

Sadly, for the sake of the quivering complainers, it has to be industrial catering, it seems :)

Last edited:

el punal

Lol - I understand, and to an extent support the idea - but have you not seen the howls of outrage when the East Lower has sausage rolls on offer, and the West Upper doesn't? Or the North Stand still has chicken balti pies at halftime, when the East Upper sold out before kickoff?

Sadly, for the sake of the quivering complainers, it has to be industrial catering, it seems :)

‘Howls of Outrage’ would be a brilliant name for a band.

Top notch wordage there! :thumbsup:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I’m retired, and I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole…… but I’m lucky enough not to need to.

But you’re right.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
There are profound shortages in hospitality across the country. An industry where many jobseekers have been too proud to work in, we had an awful lot of foreign workers a few years ago.

It’s all change now. You don’t have to look much further than Brexit-Covid to find your answers. This industry relied on a European work force, the Government had a scheme to resettle these sort of folk back to Europe by paying them up to £3,000 each. A lot went home at the beginning of the pandemic and now can’t or won’t return for various reasons.

Also Students have not enrolled at the Universities yet but I’d be surprised if many were looking for work at the Amex.

Get used to the crippling queues.

Yup. I'm having to offer way above the norm to attract new staff. Especially kitchen team.

Nightmare to recruit.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Genuine question...

Did you see how badly things went on the pitch? Of course many people needed a drink urgently! :moo:

My suggestion is to make friends with a group of drinkers all of whom no longer have a young enough bladder to last 45 minutes. I get my rounds in when it is less busy - everyone is a winner.

Also Brexit isn't really the fault or the solution to most of the things wrong in the UK, it is however an extremely handy device to keep the plebs fighting amongst themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here