Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Simple question. Why no catering staff?

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Could try offering roles for staff where get a ticket for the game an do a few paid hours working in the catering before and after game. 3 hours paid and a free ticket. Plenty of seats available.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe a more sustainable model might be to turn the vast open (largely unused) spaces of the outside perimeter over to foodstuff stalls from independent vendors. Almost guaranteed to be top-notch on quality. Don't think there's many that would begrudge a reasonable mark-up on price for something really really NICE

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I had a really tasty beef and ale pie with a pint in East Upper around 2.30 pm yesterday.
Took no more than ten minutes to get served.
I feel left out as I want to be really annoyed how crap the club is run.
:moo:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Simple answer, no students

I’m not convinced there will be a stream of students willing to work at the AMEX. The UK has changed since in the past few years.

Many hospitality workers have been hovered up by burgeoning fulfillment centers and the gig economy and lost forever. The hours are much more flexible, and in some situations, the conditions are much more favourable. Unless the hourly rate makes it a no-brainer why would you sign up to serve lager to football supporters when you can walk around a warm warehouse any hour which fits with your study or deliver food in your warm car to grateful middle-class, but lazy people?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’m not convinced there will be a stream of students willing to work at the AMEX. The UK has changed since in the past few years.

Many hospitality workers have been hovered up by burgeoning fulfillment centers and the gig economy and lost forever. The hours are much more flexible, and in some situations, the conditions are much more favourable. Unless the hourly rate makes it a no-brainer why would you sign up to serve lager to football supporters when you can walk around a warm warehouse any hour which fits with your study or deliver food in your warm car to grateful middle-class, but lazy people?

Maybe you’re right, if that’s the case they’ll have to raise the wages and it will be passed on in price increases.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I saw a segment on BBC News yesterday. Food supplier was challenged as to how he would cope with the end of cheap european labour. Bloke said he was fine with that - as long as it was realised it would also mean an end to cheap food prices

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I know, we ask it every season for the first few games and blame the students.
But with a fan base of 10,000's why cant we put out a simple plea.
Can you serve behind the counter for 6 hours for £60? Free food at the end.
If training is needed then 8 hours for £80. Heck, the money they take they could afford £100 per shift.
How many items are there on the menu and how many buttons need pressing?
Has anyone on here seen an advert for staff?

Not sure how this thread has reached 7 pages already. Question asked in post one and answered in post two. Didn't even need the thread in the first place with 30 seconds research.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe you’re right, if that’s the case they’ll have to raise the wages and it will be passed on in price increases.

I do think wages will have to be increased. Hospitality has traditionally paid poorly and often with dodges to get around the minimum wage e.g. supplementing wages with tips. I have read some articles about how we might soon get to see the “true” price of restaurant food. Ultimately it will be the customer who pays but the flip side is, one could argue, we had it cheap for many years.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I do think wages will have to be increased. Hospitality has traditionally paid poorly and often with dodges to get around the minimum wage e.g. supplementing wages with tips. I have read some articles about how we might soon get to see the “true” price of restaurant food. Ultimately it will be the customer who pays but the flip side is, one could argue, we had it cheap for many years.

So glad I no longer own pubs. I spoke to someone I know who owns three very good restaurants in Hastings, Rye and Westfield the problems she is having staffing them is horrendous, and she’s paying well over the going rate. They are having to close the restaurants certain days even though they have taken bookings.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Give me a room somewhere near the stadium and enough money to make it through the month and I'm ready to work.

PB, you know my email adress. Hit me up.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
It’s not just the Amex, venues up and down the country are struggling for staff.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not sure how this thread has reached 7 pages already. Question asked in post one and answered in post two. Didn't even need the thread in the first place with 30 seconds research.

Oh look it’s the thread police :moo:

It’s a talking point, most threads wouldn’t be started if posters decided to do research before starting a thread.
If someone asked you a question in a pub would you reply by telling them to do some research?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a shit job. For poor money.
Perspective plz.

And let’s not forget it’s dealing with the Great British public!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Oh look it’s the thread police :moo:

It’s a talking point, most threads wouldn’t be started if posters decided to do research before starting a thread.
If someone asked you a question in a pub would you reply by telling them to do some research?

Hardly the thread police (with a smiley face) or a talking point. If someone asked me a question in the pub, I'd tell them the answer (if I knew it) then move on to something more interesting. What's left to talk about

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I have never seen the queues as bad as they were yesterday at half time in the North Stand. They reached the back of the concourse and then snaked around, I gave up in the end.

A few years back a friend worked there for a few shifts and after being placed in the North Stand for one shift she left as it wasn’t worth the money. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed the same member of staff working there so turnover rate and constant training of new staff must be an issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here