Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Simple question. Why no catering staff?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You old rascal, you won’t get me that way ! My main interest in this subject is Albion related ie in forming a view on likely pie and beer queues and explaining my patience with waiting as I think of the greater good :)

Well you know the offer is always there should you ever choose to take it up :thumbsup:

On any aspect :wink:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
My sincerest apologies, will this one do?

https://www.reed.co.uk/career-advice/sectors-with-the-biggest-salary-increases-2021/

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

That is more relevant, but not accurate. In some cases there they are not showing that the rises are where you say they are. In saying the average salary in a sector has increased by x amount they have used the fact that there are more senior roles being advertised in proportion to junior roles, and are comparing to pandemic rates of pay. For instance, they are saying in the Social care sector, Senior care assistant roles are 89% higher than a year ago, whereas care assistants are up 18%, in Hospitality and Catering, Hotel Manager positions are up 13%, but Housekeepers are up only 7%. In these cases the highest rises are in the skilled and experienced roles, not the low skilled ones.

Wages are rising, but it seems to be at the same rate as they have been for the last 20 years when you take the Pandemic out of the equation. No discernible Brexit effect up or down on wages overall at the moment.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentan...verageweeklyearningsingreatbritain/august2021

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yes, exploiting cheap foreign workers was the chosen solution to enable a low wage economy. Seems it is no longer an option. Good.

It's a good point that you make, the EU workers were exploited.
I saw a programme last week about a business that deals with the distribution of fresh fruit & veg, his business was at a stand still, we will try and bring in UK labour but expect prices to shoot up.
Why? Unless the cost of his produce is rising, how about paying a decent wage ( that he should have done anyway) and make less profit, or adjust your business and business plan to suit, or just pay yourself a bit less if it means staying in business.
I understand that Labour costs are a huge overhead but he has a simple choice, he could well price himself out of business anyway.
The hotel industry is the worse for this £1000 + a night (5*), fully booked up but the most minimum of wages for the staff but huge profits, but severely raising your prices is not always the answer.
I understand profit and how a business runs but the hospitality industry has to have a very hard look at itself and change, surprised they didn't long ago when the country voted for Brexit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I will knock them up a spreadsheet illustrating the drop in the ocean that paying their catering staff properly entails compared to the salaries of executives and playing staff :thumbsup:

They don’t employ catering staff, Sodexo do.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The revenue will have already dropped from people not using the outlets.

In part because of mixed messaging from the club. On the one hand they say they want people in their seats rather than the concourses. On the other they are trying to sell food and drink which creates inevitable queuing and congestion in the concourses. It might help if they committed to a one way system with it being compulsory to return to seats rather than loiter.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
They don’t employ catering staff, Sodexo do.

True, but it’s a bit of a cop out. It’s the same argument used by large shop chains that employ middle men to deal with the sweat shop conditions endured by the workforce in places like Thailand. I don’t have all the answers but basically if the Albion want a fully staffed catering team they have to pay more. Perhaps they can incorporate this into their Sodexco negotiations next time around rather than saving every penny they can at the bottom of the labour market ? I am not singling out the club. It applies across the economy that uses cheap labour.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
True, but it’s a bit of a cop out. It’s the same argument used by large shop chains that employ middle men to deal with the sweat shop conditions endured by the workforce in places like Thailand. I don’t have all the answers but basically if the Albion want a fully staffed catering team they have to pay more. Perhaps they can incorporate this into their Sodexco negotiations next time around rather than saving every penny they can at the bottom of the labour market ? I am not singling out the club. It applies across the economy that uses cheap labour.

The government could raise the minimum wage.
The club pay the Living wage to their staff.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
With the massive shortage of HGV drivers due to the same reason (100,000 short I heard on the radio this week), by the time they get the staff in the kiosks there may not be much for them to sell. :)

Piglets will always be their.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, they could. Won’t be necessary though if the current constrained labour supply bids up wages. The minimum wage was needed because of unlimited supply of cheap workers distorting the market.

It was introduced in 1998 by Labour when there was high unemployment!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Let's pay the staff more and then the club can add that to next season's ticket increases and then there'll be a thread about that.

Sodexo do probably use a large proportion of students and they aren't back at the uni yet.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It was introduced in 1998 by Labour when there was high unemployment!

Yes, that’s my point. People on this thread have bemoaned the departure of foreign unskilled workers but their presence suppressed wages for low paid workers. Many UK workers could not/cannot afford to live on the minimum wage and without it wages would have likely gone even lower. It was/is a necessary policy and should be increased. I am also saying that removal of constant downward pressure on wages from cheap labour from abroad should encourage certain sectors of the economy to use a greater proportion of their profits to pay their workforce. Their alternative is continuing to try to get away with low pay and having to face the staff shortage consequences.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Maybe that's what will have to happen. If we want to see hospitality staff paid more then perhaps we just have to accept pint's might be £6 to £7 or pie's a similar figure. I'm Not against increasing wages but we have to expect then we will pay more for the things we like.

I paid £5 for a burger yesterday, it wasn’t 5star by any means but competitive

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Let's pay the staff more and then the club can add that to next season's ticket increases and then there'll be a thread about that.

Sodexo do probably use a large proportion of students and they aren't back at the uni yet.

That's the likely reality. I'm all for people earning a higher minimum wage to make the jobs more attractive but ultimately the club or the food providers will charge more for their goods and services to cover their increased costs. I don't mind if that is the case and I have to pay £7 a pint or £7 a pie, but as 'Drew' has mentioned above, we will then have people moaning at the price increases wherever they are incurred to cover these costs.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

But this isn’t an Amex stadium problem. There is a shortage of workers across the industry. Those returning students will have the opportunity to find work in the city’s plentiful catering, events and hospitality businesses and will go to whoever pays the most and/or offers the best benefits. I’ve heard examples in my sector (one of my job responsibilities is overseeing a large catering contract) where people move to new jobs for just another 50p an hour. Recruitment is very challenging in the industry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here