Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should single faith schools be privately funded?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Well on the basis that I don't believe there should be ANY religious schools I'd say no !

Please for the love of God stop finishing every frigging post with an exclamation mark. It's doing my nut in.

And if you must insist in doing so please, please, please use them properly. No space between the last letter and the punctuation.

Thankyou. *now off to lie down in a dark room*

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Personally unless anyone can prove the existence of a Supreme Influence of any description, I'd suggest that schools that dedicate their present religious study time to educating kids on more practical and social behaviour issues should receive extra funding.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Personally unless anyone can prove the existence of a Supreme Influence of any description, I'd suggest that schools that dedicate their present religious study time to educating kids on more practical and social behaviour issues should receive extra funding.

I'm with FOS.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
By all means teach about all the religions in the world to give a grounding based education on the matter, but to specifically target time spent in the classroom on religious idoctrination (at whatever level) should not receive state funding. The school should fund it itself.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Please for the love of God stop finishing every frigging post with an exclamation mark. It's doing my nut in.

And if you must insist in doing so please, please, please use them properly. No space between the last letter and the punctuation.

Thankyou. *now off to lie down in a dark room*

Tough shit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Anyone who posts exclamation marks after every post comes across like Colin Hunt from the Fast Show. Everything's wacky!!! Hey look at me!!! I'm mad!!! Everything's really exciting!!! Wahey!!!

Bart Simpson ties and matching socks all round.

Christ, I'm hungover.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Anyone who posts exclamation marks after every post comes across like Colin Hunt from the Fast Show. Everything's wacky!!! Hey look at me!!! I'm mad!!! Everything's really exciting!!! Wahey!!!

Bart Simpson ties and matching socks all round.

Christ, I'm hungover.

Moaning OLD git !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
When Prince Charles becomes King, he intends to change it to 'Defender of Faith', as opposed to 'Defender of The Faith'.

So there.

I feel the tremors now from Henry the eighth spinning in his grave :lolol:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
When Prince Charles becomes King, he intends to change it to 'Defender of Faith', as opposed to 'Defender of The Faith'.

So there.

Yep, he does. It will be interesting to see if that actually happens though. As HoS, his duties are governed by more than just his desire. Parliament will have to approve the change before he can do it. I suspect they will, but there'll be a sizeable proportion (presumably Tory) who would vote against it?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I put this to you all:

Either

A) Faith schools have absolutely no entrance criteria whatsoever, no requirement to attend church, have exactly the same entrance requirements as any other school and they can continue to receive public funding.

or

B) They become private institutions.

It really is as simple as that.

correct answer.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Once again we have people trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Faith schools work well as they are and the entrance criteria is fairly low. My 2 sons went to the local CoE school and loved it there. The ethos was very much New Testament, being a good citizen and doing unto others... They also got to sing some lovely hymns, learnt about other religions in a respectful way and came out of it well-adjusted.

Also, they took part in wider community projects associated with the church that they were affiliated to. They got to meet lots of older folk with some great stories to tell and the older folk got to meet the kids and both parties really benefitted from it. Neither non-faith school nearby offered the same opportunities.

They were also in contact with faith schools in developing countries and probably had greater access to understanding what it was like to be a child in those countries than their peers in the nearby non-faith, secular primary schools. Once again neither non-faith school nearby had a similar 'twinning' programme.

There's benefits to both. Let the atheists send their kids to state-funded secular schools and let those who want to send their kids to state-funded faith schools do that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Once again we have people trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Faith schools work well as they are and the entrance criteria is fairly low.

and thats why it is broken, there shouldn't be any entrance critieria. (save for proximity or similar practical aspects)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There's plenty of parents who'd like to send their children to Newman despite not being Catholic. Why ? Because they have great facilities and very good results.

And you can bet they descriminate heavily against children who are not bright enough.

Cherrypicking faith schools get good results because they can pick and chose which children they take.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here