Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should single faith schools be privately funded?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Why not. I expect most of the parents pay the same amount of tax as parents of kids at non faith schools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I put this to you all:

Either

A) Faith schools have absolutely no entrance criteria whatsoever, no requirement to attend church, have exactly the same entrance requirements as any other school and they can continue to receive public funding.

or

B) They become private institutions.

It really is as simple as that.
The faith school my kids go to is on church land, so while the government pay for the running of the school, at least something is provided by the church. With your suggested rules, the school might as well close and do something else with the land, to help pay for the church.

My partner worked for a Christian private school and she arranged a meeting with parents to discuss setting up scholarships for children that couldn't afford the fees. She was disgusted that virtually every parents view was "if they can't afford it then why should I pay for them" !
Who was paying for the scholarships, the government, or were the other parents the only ones paying? If the latter, then I think they had a point.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I assume the parents of the children in those schools pay taxes. With that in mind they should be entitled to some of the funds going to their childs school.
Why not. I expect most of the parents pay the same amount of tax as parents of kids at non faith schools.
Because there are other local children from families that also pay taxes, who can't get in because they don't believe in the right god. Is it right for something the state pays for to discriminate against those people?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Who was paying for the scholarships, the government, or were the other parents the only ones paying? If the latter, then I think they had a point.

It would have come out of school funds. Let's not forget that those school funds attract little tax because of a schools charitable status. Those same parents would have been up in arms if the charitable status was removed and they had to pay the true cost of educating their children. Maybe the mums would have had to go out to work or at least give uo their new 4x4 !

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Because there are other local children from families that also pay taxes, who can't get in because they don't believe in the right god. Is it right for something the state pays for to discriminate against those people?

Why would a parent want their kid to go to a faith school of a religion that they don't believe in?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Why would they want to send their kids to such schools anyway if they aren't of their mindset?

If you're an Albion fan do you send your kids to Palace games?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why would a parent want their kid to go to a faith school of a religion that they don't believe in?

Why would they want to send their kids to such schools anyway if they aren't of their mindset?

There's plenty of parents who'd like to send their children to Newman despite not being Catholic. Why ? Because they have great facilities and very good results.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Because it is a good school. There are loads of instances around where I live of people from non-Christian backgrounds sending their Children to Christian Foundation Schools purely because of the quality of the education. There are also people from other faiths sometimes who prefer the idea of a single-sex school, which some faith schools around here are.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
No government funding should ever go to single faith schools under any circumstances. In fact they should be actively discouraged. Education and faith should be separated in the interest of integration. All kids should be taught something about all faiths so they understand what all the fuss is about and why faith has resulted in so many wars and atrocities over the centuries.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Quality of Education - see above post.. (#28)

This isn't all about cost either, there is an argument that single faith (or faith schools generally) narrow the mind. If you are sent to an indoctrinated school, surrounded only be those who have been force fed the same 'truths', this surely makes it more difficult to integrate in to the mainstream after leaving school and then mixing with people of all walks of life at work and in general.

As such, they should not exist, let alone be publicly funded. They are inadvertently (being generous there) fostering intolerance and isolation. If parents feel strongly that they need to isolate their little ones and have them fed unproven stories as fact then they absolutely should have to pay for the privilege.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This raises the question: Why do faith schools get better results? Is it because of the teachers, or the type of families who send their kids there.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The faith school my kids go to is on church land, so while the government pay for the running of the school, at least something is provided by the church. With your suggested rules, the school might as well close and do something else with the land, to help pay for the church.

So basically the you're saying the church can ransom the local authority into dictating the entrance criteria of it's pupil entry because it owns the land!?

How charitable the church really is.

It's an absolute travesty that these institutions can pick and choose their intake based upon religious attendance. If a church wishes to provide a school on its land, then fine, but if it is funded by the local authority and tax payers money, then they play by the rules of all other schools or make the school a private intake. If they want to close the school because they want to dictate entry, then so be it, frankly with that mentality, they shouldn't be providing state education.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
This isn't all about cost either, there is an argument that single faith (or faith schools generally) narrow the mind. If you are sent to an indoctrinated school, surrounded only be those who have been force fed the same 'truths', this surely makes it more difficult to integrate in to the mainstream after leaving school and then mixing with people of all walks of life at work and in general.

Not much of an arguement really. Sounds like a rather narrow minded arguement at that.

One of the most diverse groups of people in the world is actually the Catholics. They literally have people from every walk of life from almost every nation in the world among their numbers.

Oct 25, 2003

As such, they should not exist, let alone be publicly funded. They are inadvertently (being generous there) fostering intolerance and isolation. If parents feel strongly that they need to isolate their little ones and have them fed unproven stories as fact then they absolutely should have to pay for the privilege.

are you basing your first paragraph on anything? I'm not sure it's the case at all....certainly not in my experience

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So basically the you're saying the church can ransom the local authority into dictating the entrance criteria of it's pupil entry because it owns the land!?

How charitable the church really is.

It's an absolute travesty that these institutions can pick and choose their intake based upon religious attendance. If a church wishes to provide a school on its land, then fine, but if it is funded by the local authority and tax payers money, then they play by the rules of all other schools or make the school a private intake. If they want to close the school because they want to dictate entry, then so be it, frankly with that mentality, they shouldn't be providing state education.

The Royal Family has many discrimanatory rules and it's funded by the state.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Wholeheartedly agree! Their secular education system is one thing the French do get right!

Of course religion should be taught in all schools, but all faiths with no bias, so kids get a balanced, not indoctrinated, view.

Not much of an arguement really. Sounds like a rather narrow minded arguement at that.

One of the most diverse groups of people in the world is actually the Catholics. They literally have people from every walk of life from almost every nation in the world among their numbers.

Diverse in many senses, except their belief in an imaginary all-powerful sky-god. But that's not really the issue - the faith as a whole may be diverse, but do you think a Catholic school in (say) Sussex has a diverse base of staff and opinions? Or do you think that they are all white, middle-class Catholics that share (or at least, for the purposes of their continued employment, purport to share) that schools key religious views?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here