Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Roy Hodgson be sacked as England manager?

Should Hodgson be sacked as England manager?

• Yes

Votes: 49 20.2%
  • No

Votes: 158 65.0%
  • Fence

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 22 9.1%

• Total voters

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Anybody wearing a naff grey suit like that deserves to be sacked

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No.

This is work in progress. Didn't see tonight's match, but the Italy game showed a lot of good signs for the future. Shame he couldn't resist the temptation to play Gerrard and Lampard together yet again, though - idiotic!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Sack the manager that was willing to give youth a go over the big names after ditching 442 and the Gerrard/Lampard central midfield?

No thank you. The performances against Italy and Uruguay weren't actually that bad, certainly not storming but hardly terrible.

Keep him in, let him follow through with the plan he clearly has (Barkley, Shaw, Sterling, Stones etc.).

You don't think it was relevant to point out that he thought THAT was the best we are capable of playing? That was kind of the point, should we not be worried if that is his idea of a good performance?

I think the problems are deeper than just the manager, but I have no faith in Hodgson. That said, I cannot think of one viable English option. Between a rock and a hard place really.

Sack the manager because the players aren't good enough?

Sound logic that.

:facepalm:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Although voting yes, exactly what alternative (plausible ones only) would you suggest? All very well and good moaning but we lost to two teams ranked higher than us. Not only have we gone but so have Italy, Spain, very nearly Portugal (who may still go out). Disappointed? Yes, of course but had we taken just a couple of chances then, it could have been a lot different. Had Godin been sent off as he would have been in all other games we see at the Amex, then it could've been different.

Things are changing at the FA with regard to coaching, kids soccer, futsal, etc but we aren't going to see the effect of these overnight. The FA have been slow of the mark with regard to St Georges Park but how much of that was due to in fighting and politics? Clairefontaine opened in 1988 and it was 10 years before the French won the World cup!

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Worst World Cup Performance since 1958
Two More Years…OK :(

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
All the while Murdoch's Millions dictate the direction English football takes then nothing is going to change. Too many people lining their pockets whilst football fans are happy all the while their clubs maintain their place in the Premier League and say a big feck you to the rest of football. How on earth is it beneficial to English football for losers to get in excess of £62 Million to continue paying their football mercenaries massive salaries after they got their clubs relegated?

The Genie is out of the bottle and it's going to take a group of very brave football people to put it back.

Roy could have done better but the problem goes way beyond his squad and team selections.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
No, for three reasons.
1. It's not like we have great players and we've under performed.
2. We need consistency.
3. The football we played was better than the last world cup, only difference was we had an easy group last time.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Living in cloud cuckoo land

Should never have been appointed in the first place. Out of his depth at Liverpool, Fulham and now England

Sorry, I don't agree with the out of his depth comment with England (he has done better with so called smaller nations at the World Cup, it is down to English football as a whole) but to say he was out of his depth at Fulham is bizarre. He did a fantastic job there and Fulham were gutted to lose him.

As for sacking him, English football goes in cycles, we build up hope, struggle at major tournaments and then sack the manager. At what point do we look at the real point? What is really wrong with the game e.g. the Premier League, the fact that no English players are wanted by foreign clubs, most top English teams have very few English players, the youth systems of big clubs sign up foreign players so don't even have many English players coming through and finally the fact that we train players in the wrong way which leads to our players struggling for England. But no, it must be the manager's fault so we appoint another manager who will struggle in the same way, sack him and start again.

Luckily, it looks like common sense is winning on NSC tonight.

Earlybird

Jul 23, 2003
Brighton
I'd stick with him for now but a couple of defeats in the Euro qualifiers & I might change my mind.
Like the fact he's bringing the youngsters through but i trust he'll go with form over wage packets when it comes to more senior players in the future.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Roy is one in a long line of recent poor FA appointments (Keegan, Schteve, Sven, Fabio etc) and essentially another FA yes man. You have to go back to 2001 to his last trophy (Danish Super Cup) and then back to the 1980's when he won cups and league titles in Sweden. I find it hard to believe he connects with the younger players in the squad and the Liverpool players will be influenced by his failure at that club. Harry and Glen would both be better choices imo but they carry baggage and will never be appointed. Even Stuart Pearce would be a better option - at least he has worked with many of the younger players coming through.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I'm getting a little tired of the one manager per tournament. By the time they have learnt something, they never get a chance to correct it, as they tend to be sacked. Would like to see Roy given another go, and besides the players have to answer for some of it. We all said we wouldn't get out of the group.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I'm getting a little tired of the one manager per tournament. By the time they have learnt something, they never get a chance to correct it, as they tend to be sacked. Would like to see Roy given another go, and besides the players have to answer for some of it. We all said we wouldn't get out of the group.

He's had 2 tournaments

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
We have actually got some great young English talent coming through. For that reason alone I want Hodgson nowhere near them, the damage he could do could be irreversible. The man is a dinosaur. His record is mediocre. He was sacked from both Inter and Liverpool within 12 months, that speaks volumes for me.
He is a politician first, football manager second. He should resign but won't. Should be sacked but won't be.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Absolutely not, we just have to accept the way the Premier League is full on non-English players will always ensure we will have an inferior national team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here