Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Roy Hodgson be sacked as England manager?

Should Hodgson be sacked as England manager?

• Yes

Votes: 49 20.2%
  • No

Votes: 158 65.0%
  • Fence

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 22 9.1%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...the wankers at the FA should all be booted out from the top down and replaced by individuals that know about the game, and can run a business.

And where pray will you find these men that have had a career running business successfully and also know football inside out. because football is not a business by any normal standard, and those that have run businesses well usually struggle with football where the basics of profit and loss accounts go missing in a second of players skill or ineptitude.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
God that's boring zzzzzzz

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Disregarding all the old excuses for sacking him, the best man tactically with the knowledge to do the job and get tge bestfrom tge pkayers woukd be to get Hoddle back.

So your answer is a man who's last job was to be sacked by a championship club for playing boring football ten years ago? Can you see why people say the 'Hodgson Out' brigade aren't in touch with reality?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Agreed, although the team we had post 1966-1972 was certainly among the best of the time.

1966 Winners
1968 Euro semi-finals
1970 Word Cup Quarter Finals (and that 2-0 lead)
1972 Euro quarter finals

It all went a little pear shaped after that.

Didn't we get to a World Cup 90 and Euro 96 semi's ??

I think in some ways that is the disappointment although with the obvious success of the Premier League and the massive investment in our Academy's, we remain some way off the talent within those squads that achieved, but time will tell.

England are obviously not one of the top International teams but outside of Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Holland then we are probably not too far away other than a bit of luck here and there, its how football rolls in tournaments.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Didn't we get to a World Cup 90 and Euro 96 semi's ??

I think in some ways that is the disappointment although with the obvious success of the Premier League and the massive investment in our Academy's, we remain some way off the talent within those squads that achieved, but time will tell.

England are obviously not one of the top International teams but outside of Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Holland then we are probably not too far away other than a bit of luck here and there, its how football rolls in tournaments.

I've always seen us as top of the international 'second division'. Which I think is generally a reflection of our ranking. I used to see Spain as the under-achievers, but I think we are now in a league of our own. Apparently the Premiership is the most represented league at the finals, so there is much to debate there.

I still think the team we took to Mexico in 1970 was the best to ever leave these shores though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So your answer is a man who's last job was to be sacked by a championship club for playing boring football ten years ago? Can you see why people say the 'Hodgson Out' brigade aren't in touch with reality?
He has not been involved in club football out of choice not through lack of opportunity. Just listening to him as a TV pundit makes you realise his in depth knowledge of the game.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
He has not been involved in club football out of choice not through lack of opportunity. Just listening to him as a TV pundit makes you realise his in depth knowledge of the game.

That is according to him. But based on how he talks on TV you've decided he'd be a much better manager than Hodgson, despite the fact that he failed at last job, and the game may have moved on a bit in the last ten years

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
I like his analysis and views of the game irrespective of whether it has moved on or not.

I'm not saying he's not a good commentator, just there's no evidence he'd still be a good manager. Souness is probably the best commentators/analysts, he wasn't a particularly great manager. Same with Gullit.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Anybody who thinks that sacking Hodgson and replacing him with AN Other will make the slightest bit of difference to the England teams is either very very young, very very stupid or is just being wilfully ignorant. It's NOT about the people involved; we have NOT been knocked out because the manager is shit or because the player's don't care (The usual two reasons that people trot out when they lack the ability to see past the end of their noses). We have been playing competitive football since 1950 and we've never been one of the top nations. Could have been, should have been, would have been, might have been ... but never have been. We have had really dire managers in the past, and then we've tended not to even qualify for major tournaments, (I remember the 1970s when we failed to qualify for THREE tournaments in succession). I also remember the 1988 Euro's when we were shockingly bad and lost all three group games - and yet two years later we reached the World Cup semi-final with pretty much the same players ... and the same manager

One of the best things about England's performance was the reception the fans gave to the team (and the manager) at the end of the Costa Rica game. A realisation among the real England fans that we are what we are, and taking the frustrations out on our current representatives achieves nothing. We've had MUCH worse World Cups, and also we've played worse and got further - 2010 for example.

When you start saying one of the best things about England's performance was the reception the fans it just shows how bad things have got. Complete knee jerk reaction after we got eliminated from Greg Dyke implying Roy's job was safe. £3.5 big ones a year, what a joke

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
When you start saying one of the best things about England's performance was the reception the fans it just shows how bad things have got. Complete knee jerk reaction after we got eliminated from Greg Dyke implying Roy's job was safe. £3.5 big ones a year, what a joke
I think you've missed my point a bit. One of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result. For England fans that means blaming the individuals, especially the manager, for every failure and thinking that if we could just get a different guy in then everything would get magically better. It won't. Hodgson has many faults but sacking him will not improve the England team one iota, regardless of who replaced him. The same problems would still be there from the top to the bottom of the English game: the new guy would still need to produce a group of international class defenders, and come September loads of under-12 boys will play competitive games for clubs where the most important thing (other than winning enough matches by whatever means to get some bits of coated plastic) is to make sure that all the players have a matching kit.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
The recent games have shown that had we qualified we could have won it as the general standard is not exceptional.

We didn't so we won't, what's the relevance?

And as for the Hoddle in argument - sod it why not go the whole hog and get George Graham, Joe Royle or Howard Wilkinson in? Then we could be equally as out of touch.

If I was to appoint anyone it would be Gary Neville - now that bloke DOES know his 21st century football, is English, and is passionate (against Uruguay he was stood screaming in the technical area with his temples throbbing and his eyes bulging, whilst Hodgson was sat nodding and smiling like a dementia addled pensioner in the post office). More importantly, having been to the Euro's and now the WC in a coaching capacity he has the experience of running a team at a large tournament.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here