Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Roy Hodgson be sacked as England manager?

Should Hodgson be sacked as England manager?

• Yes

Votes: 49 20.2%
  • No

Votes: 158 65.0%
  • Fence

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 22 9.1%

• Total voters

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You stupid boy, at the rate we are regressing we won't even qualify for the next World Cup

Possibly not but it is not the job of the England Manager to ensure English players get games at the top level to improve.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I agree with all the comments concerning the quality of the players and the structural problems locally, it's also obvious that european teams are struggling with the conditions. However, I would still sack him for the quality of the performances, the lack of tactical nouse, (how long did it take to address the left sided issue versus Italy?) and the poor use of subs etc. But mostly because of his age...

What is needed is to accept that we are were we are and write off the next euros to build a side for the next world cup. Hodgson is not the man to do that, he is too old and far too driven by the media to take the inevitable flak that would follow. We need to take out the last of the Golden generation and begin to build a team of young promising players from the present squad, the U21's and even the successful U19's side. We are going nowhere replicating the same mistakes time after time, with yes men, media driven team selections and tactically naive coaching staff...

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yes, our defence was shit - who would you have called up to play instead? There isn't anyone better.

For starters I would have at least tried to get Ashley Cole and John Terry out of retirement. Still good enough.
I would have decided on my defence and at least played them together as a unit, especially in the farcical so called warm ups.
I would have played Luke Shaw.
I would not have Baines as an out and out defender protected by an out of position Rooney.
I would have left Gerrard on the Tarmac at Luton, his head had gone from the mistake he made to loose Liverpool the title (said that before world cup started)
I would have seen it was not right at half time and made changes and not wait for 65-70 mins.
Lallana and Lambert should have been more involved.

When teams fail managers usually get the sack, this is the end of Englands 'season' if you like, he has failed so sack him.
I know, I know, who would I replace him with, not a bloody clue, because the best options would not touch it.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We have actually got some great young English talent coming through. For that reason alone I want Hodgson nowhere near them, the damage he could do could be irreversible. The man is a dinosaur. His record is mediocre. He was sacked from both Inter and Liverpool within 12 months, that speaks volumes for me.
He is a politician first, football manager second. He should resign but won't. Should be sacked but won't be.

That's probably the most bizarre comment I've seen on this thread. Liverpool never gave Hodgson a chance so to use that as an example is ridiculous. Inter he managed twice so they obviously thought he was good enough to bring back, which pretty much nullifies your point. Just because it didn't work second time isn't a reason to force him out.

As I said in my previous post, we've sacked enough managers (or forced them to resign), it doesn't work. When will people realise what the real problem is?

As for the young players coming through, yes they're pretty good but compare it to Spain's or France's young players and there's no comparison. Your post is the example of the usual deluded English fan who thinks we're better than we are and should sack the manager for not meeting their excessive expectations.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
That's probably the most bizarre comment I've seen on this thread. Liverpool never gave Hodgson a chance so to use that as an example is ridiculous. Inter he managed twice so they obviously thought he was good enough to bring back, which pretty much nullifies your point. Just because it didn't work second time isn't a reason to force him out.

As I said in my previous post, we've sacked enough managers (or forced them to resign), it doesn't work. When will people realise what the real problem is?

As for the young players coming through, yes they're pretty good but compare it to Spain's or France's young players and there's no comparison. Your post is the example of the usual deluded English fan who thinks we're better than we are and should sack the manager for not meeting their excessive expectations.

Not at all. You're clearly one of those English sheep who have bought Hodgson's constant lowering of expectations. Any 'leader' who uses words like 'impossible' when asked about their chances of success needs replacing with one prepared to actually give it a go. The man is a fraud. Carry on though, we can have the discussion again in 3.5 years time when the 70 year old fails to get us to Russia.

Jan 30, 2008
For starters I would have at least tried to get Ashley Cole and John Terry out of retirement. Still good enough.
I would have decided on my defence and at least played them together as a unit, especially in the farcical so called warm ups.
I would have played Luke Shaw.
I would not have Baines as an out and out defender protected by an out of position Rooney.
I would have left Gerrard on the Tarmac at Luton, his head had gone from the mistake he made to loose Liverpool the title (said that before world cup started)
I would have seen it was not right at half time and made changes and not wait for 65-70 mins.
Lallana and Lambert should have been more involved.

When teams fail managers usually get the sack, this is the end of Englands 'season' if you like, he has failed so sack him.
I know, I know, who would I replace him with, not a bloody clue, because the best options would not touch it.
you sound like the ideal candidate :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Not at all. You're clearly one of those English sheep who have bought Hodgson's constant lowering of expectations. Any 'leader' who uses words like 'impossible' when asked about their chances of success needs replacing with one prepared to actually give it a go. The man is a fraud. Carry on though, we can have the discussion again in 3.5 years time when the 70 year old fails to get us to Russia.

So, who replaces him then? If you want to sack a manager, as England always do, then you presumably have a great alternative. A much better option. Or are you just a typical England football fan (ironically the sheep rather than me) who assumes we must sack a manager as we didn't win the World Cup as we must have the best team in the world. I assume the latter.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Dont care if this was better than South Africa, it was still awful. To many players out of posistion, defence was laughable, that post match interview was a joke. F**k off now Woy.
But he wont or get sacked because he is another pathetic FA yes man.

So you think that post match interviews are an important factor in determining whether he keeps the job?

He's no better or worse than anyone else, what is clear is that the players don't possess the drive, imagination, creativity or first touch to win games at this level. Sturridge today in the box either let the ball bounce off his foot or fell over theatrically.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No top level foreign manager would want the job because our players aren't good enough. And there's no English managers who've won anything so there would be a huge credibility problem with the players and the media.

Yet big sections of our media don't rate Roy and they've already committed themselves on this, there's no way back for them.

Roy showed guts by playing the kids and he and they need to be left to get on with it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We've been changing the manager regularly over the years, and what difference has it made ?

The fact that the Premiership is the most represented league at the World Cup, and England look pedestrian, gives us all a clue.

It's not the manager, and changing again will make no difference.

We are just not good enough.

That said, I like the attitude of the players, and the youngsters appear to trust Roy. So i'd leave it with him.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
. When will people realise what the real problem is?

They never will all the while the Premier League publicity machine spews out its shit that is believed by millions.

rosscrudos

Mar 17, 2008
I'm staggered that 65% of people think he should keep his job. He has been terrible. Ignore all the stuff about coaching in England and the lack of world class players....that's a different argument (and one that should be addressed). Roy Hodgson's job was to pick 20 people and get them playing like a team. He had two years and he failed miserably to do so. How many times in qualifications, friendlies and this world cup has he changed formations and players? How many poor choices has he made in terms of players (Jones and Milner should have started in every game) You're not bloody telling me that we don't have the talent in this country to get out of that group...player for player we are better than Costa Rica and Uruguay, but a team isn't 11 individuals....and that's how we played, like they had no idea how to work together and play as a team. That's was R.H job, the blame lies with him.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I'm staggered that 65% of people think he should keep his job. He has been terrible. Ignore all the stuff about coaching in England and the lack of world class players....that's a different argument (and one that should be addressed). Roy Hodgson's job was to pick 20 people and get them playing like a team. He had two years and he failed miserably to do so. How many times in qualifications, friendlies and this world cup has he changed formations and players? How many poor choices has he made in terms of players (Jones and Milner should have started in every game) You're not bloody telling me that we don't have the talent in this country to get out of that group...player for player we are better than Costa Rica and Uruguay, but a team isn't 11 individuals....and that's how we played, like they had no idea how to work together and play as a team. That's was R.H job, the blame lies with him.

Which one are you? Harry or Jamie?

rosscrudos

Mar 17, 2008
Well, if I had the choice I'd go for Jamie....on the grounds of his missus.

Couple of questions:

1) If a team in the premier league had the best squad of players but came last....who would you blame?
2) Do you think the any of Costa Rica's players would get into the England team?

I agree with other poster's that Capello was terrible too....he's terrible with Russia as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here