[NSC] Should NSC just be a football forum?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should NSC just be a football forum?

• Yes - It should only be focused upon football.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • No - But I think that there should be a section on football, and another for other topics.

Votes: 44 13.6%
  • No - I like it how it is currently, it works fine.

Votes: 263 81.4%

• Total voters

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
No, NSC is great as it is. I love the football and non football threads.

I tend to mainly read and contribute to the football and Albion threads as having been an exile for most of my life, none of my mates are Albion fans so as already mentioned, it is like a pub of Albion supporting mates for me.

Plus, I do know a bit about football whereas I will read some of the non football threads but don’t contribute much as there are many minds far more educated than mine on here! I have learnt a lot since 1999 or whenever I first stumbled upon the first iteration of NSC and thought it was this magical wonderland of Brighton fans that I didn’t know existed! Being a non social media user, it is my only glimpse into dark world of the online community too!

I love NSC and would be devastated if it wasn’t here.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

This is why it shouldn't be just about football
Well that was brilliant.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If Bozza is able to implement the “ignore thread” feature, there will be even more tools available to those who wish to ignore threads, and who have either lost all semblance of self-control, or who are genuinely having such a rough time atm, that they don’t want to be even momentarily reminded of the utter mess we’ve made of the world. (I have sympathy for the latter group, not so much the former)
It's at the top of my "to-do" list in terms of assessing the nuances of what it does (we wouldn't want people being able to ignore important threads about the running of the forum for example), and whether it is compatible with the other plug-ins we have running here.

Assuming it does as I would expect it to, I'll aim to have it deployed for everyone by the end of next week. I'll keep you informed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No, NSC is great as it is. I love the football and non football threads.

I tend to mainly read and contribute to the football and Albion threads as having been an exile for most of my life, none of my mates are Albion fans so as already mentioned, it is like a pub of Albion supporting mates for me.

Plus, I do know a bit about football whereas I will read some of the non football threads but don’t contribute much as there are many minds far more educated than mine on here! I have learnt a lot since 1999 or whenever I first stumbled upon the first iteration of NSC and thought it was this magical wonderland of Brighton fans that I didn’t know existed! Being a non social media user, it is my only glimpse into dark world of the online community too!

I love NSC and would be devastated if it wasn’t here.
That's lovely - thank you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolutely not. It's a diverse community brought together by our love of the Albion. I think the diversity of threads is a strength and there was a strange sense of pride when that Man City poster asked 'Has anyone seen the Brighton chat-room, they dont even talk about football'. I know this is not strictly true but it says a lot about the contents of NSC.

Want a powerbank recommendation, got to NSC. Want a tradesman, go to NSC. Want to discuss your mental health, go to NSC. Want to discuss the Albion, of course come to NSC.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
None of the above. There are lots of topics discussed on NSC by decent people with one main shared interest. Unfortunately the forum is let down by its political content. Banish that alone to a sub forum and I reckon the nastier posters would go elsewhere.
There's barely a subject though that they can't turn into a political binfest...... 'Favourite 70s ice lolly?' 'Bloody Tories under Thatcher decimated the Mivvy industry' etc

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would like to say I really like the way the forum is run, and has been run for the last 20 years. I like the format, I like the fact you can come here for advice and tips on almost anything, and I like the fact you can have robust exchanges of views on a variety of subjects and with all sorts of people - including those you actually respect, as well as some of the biggest twats I can ever imagine meeting. And that's why I spend too much time on here.

But I won't because @de la zouch will accuse me of licking @Bozza's arse, so instead I'll just say it's a crock of shit and be done with it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Keep it the same, it's good, it works for most (nearly all, surely).

For those that don't wish to negotiate round threads they don't want to read, then, the ignore thread paid option mentioned by Bozza seems like a good idea to me.

To go further, if someone doesn't like hearing a range of different opinions, with a wide range of merit and substance, perhaps the internet isn't the place for them.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
If you want my opinion? No, I'm only here because I had an involvement with the club relating to (the big one) sponsorship deals, I am unlikely to comment on favoured formations who who can play left back for Brighton. Moreover, one of the big advantages of a forum over FB, X etc is that it isn't an echo chamber, you are going to see opposing views, they may even help you see things differently? Fundamentally that's why a popular recent flouncer left, unable to cope with that fact he couldn't just close people down. So, I'm not and never will be a Brighton fan and I don't particular warm to everyone here but overall it's great and I spend too much time here.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
there'd be no worlds hardest creature if that was the case

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
So how did the keep it friendly meeting go

Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
If everyone closes their eyes and ears to, things they don’t want to know about because they disagree with what the opposing view is then how does the world ever move to being more tolerant of others and therefore a more peaceful place?

My take is this, leave the forum as it is, it’s not perfect but neither is conversation in other places. Don’t just ignore what you disagree with. Dib in and out of such threads. Put your position forward but just always remember that in order for you to be entitled to your own opinions then you have to accept the other person right to hold a differing one.

And ultimately, if considered discussion leaves you feeling down, offended, and feeling like your banging your head against a wall then instead of going into rants and insults act like an adult and say you disagree with them but respect their position and leave it at that.

I think half the worlds ills are caused by closed minds and vengeful tongues.

Last edited:

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
After reading the messages in the "Manchester City vs BHA Score Predictor", and the discontinuation of these threads which is saddening, I thought it may be interesting to know the general consensus of users about whether NSC should exclusively focus upon football related topics.
I understand that this isn't an issue for me, and there are others who have a greater role in managing the website, but after seeing this question raised several times on many different threads, I thought that there should be a singular thread asking this question. So, what do you think? 🤔
I was reading the ‘assault in the away end thread’ and a lot of people were calling for all sorts of stuff - but it worked and stuff is getting done about it. However, One bloke
started crying on the thread.

So yes and no.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
There's barely a subject though that they can't turn into a political binfest...... 'Favourite 70s ice lolly?' 'Bloody Tories under Thatcher decimated the Mivvy industry' etc
I know she was absolutely awful but I didn't realise even she had stooped that low.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Well, when working as a research chemist, she was involved in the development of that Mr Whippy muck. Pay the same price for half the ice cream and loads of air? Very Thatcherite.

On the wider point, @chaileyjem 's lovely WSC article https://www.wsc.co.uk/stories/open-...oards-offer-a-safe-space-for-fans-to-open-up/ from 2018 answers the question. It's all things to all users. Take what you want, leave what you don't, but appreciate that even the bits you're not interested in, may be helping other users.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Obviously keep it. This format has stood the test of time, unlike several rival boards that have come and gone throughout the years that I recall. Also it's quite striking when you go on other boards that are on-topic only, that they are absolute graveyards.

As far as I'm aware most of the kids are going to https://www.reddit.com/r/BrightonHoveAlbion/ these days. I suspect as they get older they will migrate here - a bit like as we get older we go from Radio One to Radio Four.

Will be a big fan of the 'ignore thread' function if implemented though. Like everyone else there are some threads I have NO interest in - cricket, Wordle, Daily Naps, Infinite Jukebox, Best song etc... Would feel a lot cleaner if I could get rid of them my end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports