Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shorey & Lopez

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Just my opinion....I think we have two players lined up to buy...and two for a seasons loan....one of them top notch player....but we'll see...

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I doubt very much we will have a stronger squad than last season. Mainly because we had a 38-cap Spanish international and a left back who was earning £90,000 a week...

Vicente is a massive loss if, as he says, he was fit and could have been playing far more often. The most gifted player to appear in the stripes.

I don't understand your argument here Walt. The fact is, Vicente started 6 league games last season, and came on as a sub in a further 6. How can you represent his absence this season, therefore, as a "massive loss"? It doesn't matter how many Spanish caps he has, or how skillful he is, if he hardly ever played.

Now, your second comment above seems to be arguing that LAST season he was totally under-utilized which, if he really was fit from January, I would completely agree with. But having had very little production out of him last term, his departure barely weakens the squad.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Yes, of course - again we're seeing a "don't mess with us sonny" approach from the club, an approach which is always going to be popular with a certain contingent on here. Trouble is, is it effective at bringing players in, negotiating with their agents etc? Talking tough is great dick-waggling fun for those involved but if you miss out...

We might sign others but right now, we're simply losing a terrific player and absolutely no-one knows whether he's going to be replaced by anyone, or anyone even half as good.

The facts, as far as we know them, are these:-

1) The club offered Lopez a new 1 year deal on May 16.
2) Lopez has publicly come out and said he had no issues with either the financial aspects of the contract, or the duration.
3) As of earlier this week (a full 2 MONTHS after the contract was offered), the contract remained unsigned.
4) The club this week withdrew the contract offer.

Based upon these facts, I'm struggling to see what, if anything, the club has done wrong? What I'm really struggling to understand is why Lopez hadn't signed a contract that he states he had no issues with? If Lopez had really wanted to be an Albion player this coming season, he has had 8 weeks to make it happen. He didn't.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The facts, as far as we know them, are these:-

1) The club offered Lopez a new 1 year deal on May 16.
2) Lopez has publicly come out and said he had no issues with either the financial aspects of the contract, or the duration.
3) As of earlier this week (a full 2 MONTHS after the contract was offered), the contract remained unsigned.
4) The club this week withdrew the contract offer.

Based upon these facts, I'm struggling to see what, if anything, the club has done wrong? What I'm really struggling to understand is why Lopez hadn't signed a contract that he states he had no issues with? If Lopez had really wanted to be an Albion player this coming season, he has had 8 weeks to make it happen. He didn't.

Vicente talked bollox to the Argus, maybe Dave is doing the same?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Vicente talked bollox to the Argus, maybe Dave is doing the same?

I see a sharp contrast with the El-Abd situation. Adam was offered a 1-year deal at the same time as David. We know that Barnsley were interested in signing him; but after hearing little else, we suddenly get the announcement that he has signed a new 2-year deal with Albion. There were obviously negotiations that were going on between Adam and his representatives, and the Albion, but they were conducted behind closed doors, as they should have been.

On the other hand, we have Camp David going to the press and saying "come and get me", "we are waiting to hear from the club", "we have other offers but we want to stay at Brighton", despite the fact that the club has offered him a deal that he is apparently happy with. We will probably never know exactly what happened, but the ball was in David's court and he chose not to sign up.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just my opinion....I think we have two players lined up to buy...and two for a seasons loan....one of them top notch player....but we'll see...

All seemingly too late to travel to Spain with the other though

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Lopez was good but replaceable, plus different systems may be used.

Vicente good on his day but his record when playing was poor, hardly a loss when didn't play and the side show that accompany him is distracting.

Shorey - this surprises me the most, ability wise he would seem the perfect fit but maybe has lost the fire in his belly - who knows. LB harder spot to fill as Bridge was Mr consistent and unlikely to be equaled.

I'm sure we have other things in the pipe line. I'd only worry if we lose Bridcutt / Buckley Etc and then delay getting anyone in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here