Since last season, we have gotten rid of:

Vicente
Hammond
Dobbie
Lopez
Bridge
Dicker
Painter

That's around 50k per week we're saving in wages, we could sign four decent players with that and still be at the same wage budget as last season. I must say I'm excited about the possibilities OGJ could bring in.

way more than 50k between that lot, however the money saved on Dobbie was spent on Ulloa.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Theres another one on the horizon I gather but Im not setting myself up for a fall.

Is this a far horizon or a close one? (will it happen soon?)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think the point is Lopez was waiting to see if Oscar wanted him. The fact Oscar did not contact him to ask him in for training or even a chat etc suggests, certainly to me and I would have thought the player, that he wasn't wanted.

I don't see what that has to do with his agent.

Are people suggesting Lopez's agent should have told him to sign the offer quickly before Garcia realised he didn't want him?

Nothing at all wrong with advising a player to wait to see if he is wanted by a new manager and likely to get first team football before signing on the dotted line.

The offer was there on the table and there was nothing wrong with Lopez contacting OG. Are you saying that OG should have played more of a mother figure on this?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The offer was there on the table and there was nothing wrong with Lopez contacting OG. Are you saying that OG should have played more of a mother figure on this?

No, but I do think if he wanted to even have a look at Lopez he could have contacted his agent through the club and asked him to come in for a week or so.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Has anyone read the article abuot Garcia's next priority being a left back?

Interesting to see that MTA have recently signed two new left backs, wonder if they are preparing to lose somebody?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Not sure I would want a left back deemed not needed in the first two playing spots by MTA.

It might not be that they are deemed not good enough but MTA could be resigned to loosing their first choice, so therefore need replacing in some way.

I'd be a bit cautious about any player from MTA full stop but I thought it was an interesting thing for NA to note.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think the point is Lopez was waiting to see if Oscar wanted him. The fact Oscar did not contact him to ask him in for training or even a chat etc suggests, certainly to me and I would have thought the player, that he wasn't wanted.

I don't see what that has to do with his agent.

Are people suggesting Lopez's agent should have told him to sign the offer quickly before Garcia realised he didn't want him?

Nothing at all wrong with advising a player to wait to see if he is wanted by a new manager and likely to get first team football before signing on the dotted line.

So how did Lopez get the impression Oscar wanted him then ?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Fair point, it's just that in 'foreign' systems (which I guess we're still going to be using) full-backs tend to have more of multi-purpose role to play. They're not just the fat useless kids stuck at the back whose job it is to make crunching tackles and boot the ball into Row Z like yer typical 'English' backs in rigid 4-4-2

Were you my sports master at Ardingly? Seriously, that was why I gave up playing football and became a hockey goalkeeper. If the ball hit some part of my lumbering frame, at least it didn't go in the net.

Regarding David, it would be quite a loss not to have him, as I think we're thin as far as attacking midfielders go. Okay, you could have JFC and Orlandi in midfield with Bridders anchoring, but what if one of them gets injured? Crofts seems to have lost his attacking instinct from his first season. As for Shorey, I saw him in the first game at Wembley against Brazil and thought he was excellent, and that it was only Cole's class (let's face it, whatever you think of him he is a fine footballer) and Bridge as back up that kept him out. However, his career just seems to have gone downhill. Not a success at Aston Villa since leaving Reading, and they have presumably decided he is surplus to requirements having signed Bridge. I hope we've got an alternative/alternatives lined up - the Catalan fellow perhaps?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
No, but I do think if he wanted to even have a look at Lopez he could have contacted his agent through the club and asked him to come in for a week or so.

I think you are being a little touchy feely in looking for an explanation. For me the most likely reason the acceptable offer to the player, was withdrawn is that the agent wanted a big fee on top. This is based on nothing other than my reading of the situation. If you think there is something more sinister afoot keep digging by all means.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I think you are being a little touchy feely in looking for an explanation. For me the most likely reason the acceptable offer to the player, was withdrawn is that the agent wanted a big fee on top. This is based on nothing other than my reading of the situation. If you think there is something more sinister afoot keep digging by all means.

Chances are Oscar knows a lot more about David Lopez than we realise for obvious reasons , probably even played against each other on may occasions. The "trial" has long gone. Oscar doesn't rate Spanish Dave and isn't what he needs in his side so no deal to talk about.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Not a fan of Shorey these days but thought David was one of our best players and surely one who could fill in and perform at multiple positions. If we're getting better in he could have been the perfect sub

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Since last season, we have gotten rid of:

Vicente
Hammond
Dobbie
Lopez
Bridge
Dicker
Painter

That's around 50k per week we're saving in wages, we could sign four decent players with that and still be at the same wage budget as last season. I must say I'm excited about the possibilities OGJ could bring in.

Bridge and Lopez are the only losses on there, rest it's a bonus they off the books for me. That doesn't mean they were all rubbish just that we can spend the money better. Hope we do now!

deenomeet

ballbags
Apr 2, 2011
Lopez barely played for Bilbao the season before he joined the Albion. In fact i seem to recall that Brighton were the only side that came in for him when he was released. Could it be that Oscar has a preconcieved opinion of him? I would hope not,as to not even look at him in training would be unprofessional. No,im leaning toward Lopez stalling over a deal,being a bit of a ****,and missing the boat.
As regards signings expect 3 or 4 in, but dont expect stellar signings. As with every club ,bar the 3 that came down,Albion will be tightening belts because of FFP.Although with the revenue generated by season tickets BHA should be better placed than most.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Money which amounted to around £600,000 for his spell here in wages and transfer fee.

Bringing in Spanish Len and getting rid of Dobbie to The Scum ended up in a win win situation for the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here