FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
1st team players lost since last season and still to be replaced;

Bridge
Lopez
Vicente
Hammond
Dicker
Painter

Out of those 6 would suggest the top three/four still need to replaced before the start of the season!

I would suggest thats quite a saving in players wages.

Anyone thinking we wont be getting some good players in needs there head testing.

4 replacements is what were after.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I agree with the OP. I feel there is a real sense of purpose about the Albion at the moment. Now that the last vestiges of the old regime have been swept aside, a new era has begun and Bloom, Barber and Burke are getting stuck in. I have every confidence that the trio at the top can deliver, and that in OG we have a coach who can really concentrate on maximising the potential of the squad that we have.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Completely agreed... hope your thread results in another signing! And perhaps another bollocking from that grumpy poster lol

Theres another one on the horizon I gather but Im not setting myself up for a fall.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
It could mean there is some better players in the pipeline or it could mean we are constrained financially, but we do not know and people here are just guessing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It could mean there is some better players in the pipeline or it could mean we are constrained financially, but we do not know and people here are just guessing.

Exactly. My feeling is that it is partly a case of purse strings. Perhaps OG is looking at he could get 2 players showing potential for the same costs as Spanish Dave.

I cannot believe not signing Dave is a purely footballing decision - no way...

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Exactly. My feeling is that it is partly a case of purse strings. Perhaps OG is looking at he could get 2 players showing potential for the same costs as Spanish Dave.

I cannot believe not signing Dave is a purely footballing decision - no way...

You say that but if he had faith in Lopez fitting into his plans he would get him in as its a quick win . The budget is the same as last year maybe slightly more

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I doubt very much we will have a stronger squad than last season. Mainly because we had a 38-cap Spanish international and a left back who was earning £90,000 a week...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Pretty much the only thing Lopez lacked was pace. If we are going to be playing a high tempo attacking game he'd suit us much less than he suited Poyet's brand of flair mixed with steady keep-ball. I haven't seen Shorey play in a while but he always struck me as a poor man's Bridge. Presumably again we're looking for someone younger and more mobile given that our Centre Backs are neither.

Dec 29, 2011
I doubt very much we will have a stronger squad than last season. Mainly because we had a 38-cap Spanish international and a left back who was earning £90,000 a week...

Bridge is a loss, but if we can find a half decent LB it won't be a huge loss, LB isn't as influential as a centre back or centre midfielder. Vicente is no loss. David Lopez is a big loss, he was the second best player in our squad IMO, with him, Ulloa and Orlandi in the squad we always had a decent chance of winning.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Bridge is a loss, but if we can find a half decent LB it won't be a huge loss, LB isn't as influential as a centre back or centre midfielder. Vicente is no loss. David Lopez is a big loss, he was the second best player in our squad IMO, with him, Ulloa and Orlandi in the squad we always had a decent chance of winning.

Vicente is a massive loss if, as he says, he was fit and could have been playing far more often. The most gifted player to appear in the stripes.

Also, in our system full backs are KEY. Look at how often Bridge got forward into good positions. If anything, the higher up the league pyramid you go the MORE important good full backs are. Upson is a great signing but Bridge was a very solid performer last season. Whoever we sign is unlikely to be as good.

And, as you say, Lopez is a significant loss.

Take Vicente, Lopez, Bridge and potentially Hammond out of our squad and they will take some replacing for me to believe our squad is stronger than last season.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Maybe I am in a minority of one here but, although Spanish Dave had some telling moments last year (especially the Palace free kick) and he had a great rapport with the fans, he did go missing in alot of games and turned in average perfomances for a lot of the time IMHO. I liked him as club man and in the few games he turned in a peformance he looked a very good player but was very inconsistant. Did take a good penalty though. I would thank him for his efforts but would hope we are looking at higher class replacements.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Vicente is a massive loss if, as he says, he was fit and could have been playing far more often. The most gifted player to appear in the stripes.

Also, in our system full backs are KEY. Look at how often Bridge got forward into good positions. If anything, the higher up the league pyramid you go the MORE important good full backs are. Upson is a great signing but Bridge was a very solid performer last season. Whoever we sign is unlikely to be as good.

Take Vicente, Lopez, Bridge and potentially Hammond out of our squad and they will take some replacing for me to believe our squad is stronger than last season.
Agree with every word.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Maybe I am in a minority of one here but, although Spanish Dave had some telling moments last year (especially the Palace free kick) and he had a great rapport with the fans, he did go missing in alot of games and turned in average perfomances for a lot of the time IMHO. I liked him as club man and in the few games he turned in a peformance he looked a very good player but was very inconsistant. Did take a good penalty though. I would thank him for his efforts but would hope we are looking at higher class replacements.

Do you remember the post a while back saying What exactly does Spanish Dave do? Takes great Pennos and free kicks that's about it in reality

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A decision had to be made on Shorey , he obviously didn't impress Oscar enough in the friendly against Whitehawk to warrant offering him a deal after his fortnight here. Losing Spanish Dave is collateral damage over what has happened in the last 8 weeks , no doubt Oscar and his assistants will have watched the match dvds from last season and asked "What does Spanish Dave do ?" but think they can being is someone better to the club.

Dec 29, 2011

We'll agree to disagree about Vicente. Waste of wages, glad he's gone.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

How do you know that? I would say that is mere conjecture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here