Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shorey & Lopez

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
What system is that we have only played one game so far?

Indeed. From what we have heard Oscar favours a more attacking formation of 4-3-3 as opposed to Gus' 4-5-1. The full backs wont be needed to attack and overlap the lop sided midfield nearly as much. Whilst Oscar likes the ball to be retained and moved around like Gus did, I very much get the feeling we will be further up the pitch attacking, rather than deep in our own half.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Indeed. From what we have heard Oscar favours a more attacking formation of 4-3-3 as opposed to Gus' 4-5-1. The full backs wont be needed to attack and overlap the lop sided midfield nearly as much. Whilst Oscar likes the ball to be retained and moved around like Gus did, I very much get the feeling we will be further up the pitch attacking, rather than deep in our own half.

Which underlines the reason why Lopez is surplus to requirements

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We'll agree to disagree about Vicente. Waste of wages, glad he's gone.
There is obvious middle ground between extreme views regarding Vicente.

"38 caps for Spain", "arguably the most technically skilled player ever to wear the stripes" and "pure joy to watch" are valid observations I agree with.

"Didn't have a very positive impact on the team in terms of points won" is, however, also valid.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What system is that we have only played one game so far?

Fair point, it's just that in 'foreign' systems (which I guess we're still going to be using) full-backs tend to have more of multi-purpose role to play. They're not just the fat useless kids stuck at the back whose job it is to make crunching tackles and boot the ball into Row Z like yer typical 'English' backs in rigid 4-4-2

Dec 29, 2011
Since last season, we have gotten rid of:

Vicente
Hammond
Dobbie
Lopez
Bridge
Dicker
Painter

That's around 50k per week we're saving in wages, we could sign four decent players with that and still be at the same wage budget as last season. I must say I'm excited about the possibilities OGJ could bring in.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
David needs to blame his agent for this.

He says he was waiting to see who would take over from Gus, and OG's been here for two weeks.

Just becasue we didn't put a time limit on his signing doesn't mean there wasn't one. Agents should learn that the longer they leave an offer the chances are we will be working hard to find someone else.

The time limit is based on who can get the best deal first.

Sorry to see him go, but we are sending out a message to all agents dealing with us in future. No more games and business is business.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Therefore the fact that he didn't play probably means he won't be too great a miss from the first team.

Clash of ego's there. Poyet was always going to win this one. Vicente was bullied into staying whilst his family struggled to settle at the time. Pay as you play deal suits everyone

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
Totally agree with Neecha, this has to be seen as positive, surely we would only let Shorey and Dave go if we couldn't do better?
Only thing that worries me is now Dave has gone who's going to take the spot kicks?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Sorry to see him go, but we are sending out a message to all agents dealing with us in future. No more games and business is business.

Yes, of course - again we're seeing a "don't mess with us sonny" approach from the club, an approach which is always going to be popular with a certain contingent on here. Trouble is, is it effective at bringing players in, negotiating with their agents etc? Talking tough is great dick-waggling fun for those involved but if you miss out...

We might sign others but right now, we're simply losing a terrific player and absolutely no-one knows whether he's going to be replaced by anyone, or anyone even half as good.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Apologies if someone has made this point already. Number one most likely reason for no Spanish Dave deal has to be unreasonable agent's fees. If the club is making a real effort to keep these under control, they have my support.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I don't think it was unreasonable for Lopez to wait to see if Oscar Garcia wanted him. Presumably the lack of contact from him spoke volumes to the player.

Not sure how people can blame his agent for that.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't think it was unreasonable for Lopez to wait to see if Oscar Garcia wanted him. Presumably the lack of contact from him spoke volumes to the player.

Not sure how people can blame his agent for that.

OG has been here for two weeks so there has been plenty of time, David's agent is there to give him good advice, like best sign for Brighton asap because whilst we string them along they will be looking elsewhere.

We needed to know who was joining us before we go to Spain, so natural deadline has come and gone.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
OG has been here for two weeks so there has been plenty of time, David's agent is there to give him good advice, like best sign for Brighton asap because whilst we string them along they will be looking elsewhere.

We needed to know who was joining us before we go to Spain, so natural deadline has come and gone.

I think the point is Lopez was waiting to see if Oscar wanted him. The fact Oscar did not contact him to ask him in for training or even a chat etc suggests, certainly to me and I would have thought the player, that he wasn't wanted.

I don't see what that has to do with his agent.

Are people suggesting Lopez's agent should have told him to sign the offer quickly before Garcia realised he didn't want him?

Nothing at all wrong with advising a player to wait to see if he is wanted by a new manager and likely to get first team football before signing on the dotted line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here