Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sherwood on Goals on Sunday

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I like 4-4-2 so I am well up for Sherwood.

Not sure if Ferdinand is match fit at the moment, but as a target man in the last 15 minutes- well there were few finer. Could certainly do a job.

At least Sherwood isn't afraid of going 4-4-2 , 4-5-1 , 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 during the 90 minutes to shake things up.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Did anyone else catch the interview with Sherwood this morning? The answers he gave seemed to tick a lot of boxes in terms of what Bloom and the board are looking for.

Disagree strongly. The slightest, er, slight from his employers and he'd be shooting his fly guy mouth off in public. Relations between him and the club would irretrievably break down by the end of the January transfer window. Avoid!

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
i am in the clement camp. i think he is a better long term prospect - would be grateful for the job, lots of great contacts, obviously a good coach and would stick around longer than a season (unlike sherwood i suspect) if we didn't go up next year. not to mention the pre season friendly against Real madrid!!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
past 2 managers have had an issue with transfers, would you think Sherwood would sit around while David Burke played football manager on his computer and say ' here you go Tim, i know you wanted this guy, but ive decided to buy someone else '

if they can work together, then go for it

Total fantasy but I suppose, if it gets you excited, keep up the claptrap.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
In fairness Clement looks like someone with potential, BUT he has not done anything in Championship..everyone said same about Garcia and Barcelona and that didn't really work out... Most of time is was clear he did not know league and players and would need at least a season.... Sherwood as an example does know English football, and his back room staff of sir Les and co would certainly help attract some players..

Seeing as Garcia got us into the playoffs I'd hardly say it didn't work out. I like both Sherwood and Clement, they both offer a lot of potential and something different to what has gone before. Getting to the point where i'd be disappointed if it were not one of these two. Missed the Sherwood interview earlier but it certainly sounds like he has put himself in the frame. Clement would be my fall back if Sherwood went for a premier league team.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
That penny pinching that led to a £1 million bid for Grabban? The club were outbid by Bournemouth for wages but that doesn't mean that we were penny pinching.
We were told by Bloom & Barber that Oscar had an increased budget last summer.

Barnes was sold for £1 million, so it wasn't a fresh million going to be spent. I'm still not convinced there is funding available to get a quality manager, competitive squad and be able to pay the going rate for the top end of the division to them all. Also, I should think we will be averaging 25 000 gates next season as well, so a further drop in revenues...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Barnes was sold for £1 million, so it wasn't a fresh million going to be spent. I'm still not convinced there is funding available to get a quality manager, competitive squad and be able to pay the going rate for the top end of the division to them all. Also, I should think we will be averaging 25 000 gates next season as well, so a further drop in revenues...

The club either makes the conscious decision to spend on the playing side the money it takes to reach the next level, or they decide not to spend that money. The club's call really. We'll just sit there and eat our pies like good little customers :shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I didn't really pay much attention to Spurs while Sherwood was there, so don't really feel like I know him from a management point of view. I only half heard his interview this morning, but what I did hear, I didn't really like him as a character, there was something about what he said and how he said it that I wasn't entirely comfortable with, but I can't really say specifically what.

I know even less about this Paul Clement bloke, but on the plus side for him, I haven't been put off by his TV interview because I haven't seen any.

I find it hard to understand how so many people can be so certain of which of the two is the best candidate. Are we even sure it is down to the two of them?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

£1m for Barnes? That's a new rumour. There was £750k quoted a lot at the time, recently Dyche claimed they've only spent £450k since he's been there leading the assumption it was all on Barnes and that was the total. Now you're saying £1m. It's almost as varied as the amount we bought him for (ranging from £30k to £350k, depending on who is posting)

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
The club either makes the conscious decision to spend on the playing side the money it takes to reach the next level, or they decide not to spend that money. The club's call really. We'll just sit there and eat our pies like good little customers :shrug:

Or not, in my case

No ambition at the club I'm afraid

I think they are hoping a cheap manager and cheap squad can punch well above their collective weight and go up against the odds

Nice romantic idea, but will test the patience of the waverers

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Or not, in my case

No ambition at the club I'm afraid

I think they are hoping a cheap manager and cheap squad can punch well above their collective weight and go up against the odds

Totally agree. Might have worked one level down. But not at this level. Two words. Derby. County.

TtY

May 13, 2014
Interesting that the interviewer asked Sherwood directly about Brighton when a few clubs like West Brom are on the look out for a manager. I wouldn't be surprised if that was partly set up so Sherwood would be given the opportunity to tout for the job.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I quite like the idea of two former England players in the dugout as long as it ain't Geoff Thomas and Carlton Palmer. Tim Sherwood and Les Ferdinand could be a class act.

TtY

May 13, 2014
I quite like the idea of two former England players in the dugout as long as it ain't Geoff Thomas and Carlton Palmer. Tim Sherwood and Les Ferdinand could be a class act.

Add Chris Ramsey to the mix too, may not be a big name but by all accounts, a good technical coach.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
By the same reasoning do not know why you think Oscar did not succeed in helping us to 6th

I think Oscar had his hands tied and he was off at the end of the season whatever.Of course if we had gone up that would have made things difficult but lets be honest, that was never ever likely.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
£1m for Barnes? That's a new rumour. There was £750k quoted a lot at the time, recently Dyche claimed they've only spent £450k since he's been there leading the assumption it was all on Barnes and that was the total. Now you're saying £1m. It's almost as varied as the amount we bought him for (ranging from £30k to £350k, depending on who is posting)

I think the £450k figure is accurate but what we don't know is any extras that may be due fairly soon or at some time in the future (promotion and sell on clauses etc). We also received a fee from Bristol City for ElAbd , again undisclosed. When the final accounts are published we'll be able to guesstimate the amounts more precisely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here