Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sherwood on Goals on Sunday

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He has got to be number one choice. I thought he came across very well. I don't see what he could really achieve by going to WBA other than just aim at a mid table finish. Here he can make something of his own and surpass or equal anything WBA can achieve. Also the facilities here and location to London where one presumes he lives are far more attractive than some Midlands dump.

Not often I say this, but I think I agree. He might come across as a bit of a cock sometimes, but so do most managers, and he does seem to tick all the boxes. I wouldn't be disappointed if we got him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What failings were they then??? Finishing 6th in the prem in his first job as manager.???
Would that be the squad that had over £100,000,000 lavished on it.
In fairness not by him and history says not particularly well.

But is finishing 6th in a division that Stoke ended up 9th and palace stumbled to 11th all that it's cracked up to be?

As for failings quite a few listed here:-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ttenham-chairman-Daniel-Levy-wasnt-happy.html

and just for fun, I thought we'd seen enough histrionics and hissy fits

edit So much for the gilet throwing gif.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Would that be the squad that had over £100,000,000 lavished on it.
In fairness not by him and history says not particularly well.
But is finishing 6th in a division that Stoke ended up 9th and palace stumbled to 11th all that it's racked up to be?

As for failings quite a few listed here:-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ttenham-chairman-Daniel-Levy-wasnt-happy.html

and just for fun, I thought we'd seen enough histrionics and hissy fits

[video]http://i.minus.com/iZ0ieildDHly7.gif[/video]

That's the £100m question. Just where did Mr Levey expect to finish??? At the start of the season not above City, Utd and Chelsea one would assume. So that's 4th at best, where they are competing with Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and maybe a few other who have high expectations. While finishing 6th may not be good enough for Mr Levey, I don't think it represents failure by any stretch of the imagination. Like you say AVB spent well in advance of £100m, so any manager coming in a quarter of the way though a season and taking over all them ego's, done a pretty good job in my book not to have it all fall down around his ears. I think for a first job Sherwood can more than hold his head up high, with what he done at Spurs.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Can't we put this budget bullshite myth to bed. Gus spent a bloody fortune on players when he was here and he is the sort of manager that wants more, more ,more all the time. And we didn't buy anyone under Garcia because of the fortune Poyet had already spent on wages etc, on player who's contracts were coming to an end. I firmly believe there will be plenty of money for wages and transfer fees for the new manager. Don't buy everything you get spoon fed from the club, they have been holding back for a reason. To clear the decks, ditch the dead wood and start afresh.

I'm not sure about this line of argument tbh. We got Lita and Obika in on loan, who were both pony, when anyone with eyes in their head could see we needed a proven finisher to compliment/back-up Ujjoa. It was that penny-pinching that a) cost us lots of points and b) probably convinced OG he was banging his head against a brick wall...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's the £100m question. Just where did Mr Levey expect to finish??? At the start of the season not above City, Utd and Chelsea one would assume. So that's 4th at best, where they are competing with Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and maybe a few other who have high expectations. While finishing 6th may not be good enough for Mr Levey, I don't think it represents failure by any stretch of the imagination. Like you say AVB spent well in advance of £100m, so any manager coming in a quarter of the way though a season and taking over all them ego's, done a pretty good job in my book not to have it all fall down around his ears. I think for a first job Sherwood can more than hold his head up high, with what he done at Spurs.
TBH I'm being a little 'devil's advocate' here.

Looking at the manager betting, it's all the same names, all the candidates have failure on their CV, and are just Premier League gravy-trainers. (I guess I should be happy they are no longer League 1 'names').

I liked the Oscar appointment, I liked it being left field, I liked all the 'nodding dogs' not knowing who he was, I liked the lack of baggage, I liked us being out of the Gus created lime light.

Therefore I'm predisposed to Clement.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Saying he spent 100m is not exactly fair that was money spent by AVB or their Director of Football on the sale of Bale. The only decent buy of the lot appears to have been Paulinho with Soldado for 30m looking like a spectacular waste of money. It was Sherwood bringing Adebayor back on side that revitalised them after AVB had been sacked.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
In fairness unlike some he has shown that he has a plan A, planB, and a plan C........ sometimes all at the same time! :lolol:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
TBH I'm being a little 'devil's advocate' here.

Looking at the manager betting, it's all the same names, all the candidates have failure on their CV, and are just Premier League gravy-trainers. (I guess I should be happy they are no longer League 1 'names').

I liked the Oscar appointment, I liked it being left field, I liked all the 'nodding dogs' not knowing who he was, I liked the lack of baggage, I liked us being out of the Gus created lime light.

Therefore I'm predisposed to Clement.

I'm totally against Clement. Another manager who has never managed in this country, let alone in the madness that is the championship. It would be a crazy appointment, surely we have learnt from previous mistakes. While I'm not saying Oscar was a mistake, the man himself admitted he didn't know the league well enough just a few weeks ago. Just because Clement is asst at Real Madrid don't mean diddly squat. It would be a terrible appointment and I would be seriously questioning the clubs real ambition to get out of this league. I would be seriously pissed off, If we insist on going down this route and I don't for one minute think we will.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
In fairness Clement looks like someone with potential, BUT he has not done anything in Championship..everyone said same about Garcia and Barcelona and that didn't really work out... Most of time is was clear he did not know league and players and would need at least a season.... Sherwood as an example does know English football, and his back room staff of sir Les and co would certainly help attract some players..

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I must admit I think he could do a great with March, JFC & Ince..

... I'm also hoping Shamir Goodwin can start getting in and around the side this year

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
In fairness Clement looks like someone with potential, BUT he has not done anything in Championship..everyone said same about Garcia and Barcelona and that didn't really work out... Most of time is was clear he did not know league and players and would need at least a season.... Sherwood as an example does know English football, and his back room staff of sir Les and co would certainly help attract some players..

Clement has more coaching experience in English football than Sherwood,....that is all.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
As a young English lad looking at a career in football, would you rather sign for Tim Sherwood with a back room staff you probably know from watching highlights of seasons past, with knowledge that he likes to bring young talent into the first team, or Clement who none have probably heard of. Tim Sherwood all day long for me.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I like 4-4-2 so I am well up for Sherwood.

Not sure if Ferdinand is match fit at the moment, but as a target man in the last 15 minutes- well there were few finer. Could certainly do a job.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
As a young English lad looking at a career in football, would you rather sign for Tim Sherwood with a back room staff you probably know from watching highlights of seasons past, with knowledge that he likes to bring young talent into the first team, or Clement who none have probably heard of. Tim Sherwood all day long for me.

Good point the combination of Sherwood and Ferdinand could work hugely in our favour for potential young signings.

Come on Tony, make it happen :)

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

Clement has been a coach in this country since the late nineties, its only the last couple of years he has been abroad, he has also been involved in some of the biggest clubs and worked with some of the best players. It would be tough choice for a youngster. work with a manager who has worked with the superstars of Spurs or a coach that has worked with the stars of Chelsea and Real Madrid over the last few years. Maybe not many people have heard of Clement, but his CV reads better then Sherwoods. The fact of the matter is both Sherwood and Malky are waiting for the end of next weekend, by which time West Ham and QPR could be looking for managers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not sure about this line of argument tbh. We got Lita and Obika in on loan, who were both pony, when anyone with eyes in their head could see we needed a proven finisher to compliment/back-up Ujjoa. It was that penny-pinching that a) cost us lots of points and b) probably convinced OG he was banging his head against a brick wall...

That penny pinching that led to a £1 million bid for Grabban? The club were outbid by Bournemouth for wages but that doesn't mean that we were penny pinching.
We were told by Bloom & Barber that Oscar had an increased budget last summer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm totally against Clement. Another manager who has never managed in this country, let alone in the madness that is the championship. It would be a crazy appointment, surely we have learnt from previous mistakes. While I'm not saying Oscar was a mistake, the man himself admitted he didn't know the league well enough just a few weeks ago. Just because Clement is asst at Real Madrid don't mean diddly squat. It would be a terrible appointment and I would be seriously questioning the clubs real ambition to get out of this league. I would be seriously pissed off, If we insist on going down this route and I don't for one minute think we will.
I guess I should have said a Clement type manager.

I am as a opposed to your main champion Warnock as you are to Clement.

As said I like being a little left field.
Not so far we end up in a Steve Keane situation, but not so predictable that it's just another average face with an average CV, that got lucky a couple of times, but unlucky a few more.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
By the same reasoning do not know why you think Oscar did not succeed in helping us to 6th

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here