Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Sexual abuse claims at McDonalds.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Since when have relationships between staff been classified as abuse? (Last on the list with reference to STDs) It seems as though any kind of flirting is becoming classed as abuse these days, perhaps we just have too many people on the planet?

Some of the stories go well beyond what I would consider appropriate for a 'relationship' in the workplace.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Men need to call it out to each other. There is an 'advert' running at present where a girl is getting cat called by a group of lads. One of them is brave enough to say 'Leave it out'.
I don't know a single woman who hasn't been harassed, had suggestive comments made, groped or all three. If you say anything it gets worse.
When men start telling each other, it's not cool, maybe something will change. Probably not.
OK, gonna ask a completely non loaded question. Really, just looking for a honest answer. When is a sexual advance OK?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
OK, firstly any sexual abuse of staff, indeed any abuse being it sexual, racist or similar, should never be accepted. For me in my business I'd hope staff complain and I can prove guilt.
But in the case of McDonalds. They have 130,000 staff in the UK so finding only 100 in that lot would seem to me very very low. In a work place, any work place, with 40 staff I bet there is someone who's a bit dodgy. I bet any large supermarket has it. Take a large store with 100 staff, I bet there is a senior person who 'chats up' the junior girls. Permitted, no and he/she should be sacked on the spot, but it goes on everywhere.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
OK, firstly any sexual abuse of staff, indeed any abuse being it sexual, racist or similar, should never be accepted. For me in my business I'd hope staff complain and I can prove guilt.
But in the case of McDonalds. They have 130,000 staff in the UK so finding only 100 in that lot would seem to me very very low. In a work place, any work place, with 40 staff I bet there is someone who's a bit dodgy. I bet any large supermarket has it. Take a large store with 100 staff, I bet there is a senior person who 'chats up' the junior girls. Permitted, no and he/she should be sacked on the spot, but it goes on everywhere.
True but it’s how the organisation deals with the assaults and abuse that makes the difference.

Promoting managers sideways, ignoring complaints, and normalising unwelcome sexual behaviour is wholly avoidable in any organisation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
OK, gonna ask a completely non loaded question. Really, just looking for a honest answer. When is a sexual advance OK?
On a date, when you are reasonably sure the other person is accepting of an advance. Never in the workplace.
Many companies even have the rule that spouses cannot work together.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
My daughter worked in McDonalds for a couple of years before she left for uni, thankfully she did not have any issues.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
True but it’s how the organisation deals with the assaults and abuse that makes the difference.

Promoting managers sideways, ignoring complaints, and normalising unwelcome sexual behaviour is wholly avoidable in any organisation.
100%

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My daughter worked in McDonalds for a couple of years before she left for uni, thankfully she did not have any issues.
That's good but did she have the confidence to put someone back in their box if they tried it?

Girls even suffer at school. One girl kept getting her bra strap pinged by a boy. She complained to the teacher, who ignored it. She told her parents who contacted the head and said they would go to the police and report the boy for sexual harassment.
The school head sat up and said, 'that's over the top'.

But strictly speaking, it is.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Men need to call it out to each other. There is an 'advert' running at present where a girl is getting cat called by a group of lads. One of them is brave enough to say 'Leave it out'.
I don't know a single woman who hasn't been harassed, had suggestive comments made, groped or all three. If you say anything it gets worse.
When men start telling each other, it's not cool, maybe something will change. Probably not.

Knowing what I know now about the bus incident, I'd like to think I'd intervene. [But I wasn't naive to start off with, two ex girlfriends had been the victims of stranger street rapes].

With your knowledge of the legal system, what do you think can be done to increase conviction rates, what about sentencing? Imho we don't need to make this yet another party political thread ... females have forever been assaulted by entitled perverts.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I did find this funny the other day at Wimbledon and started thinking. Most of the time on centre court etc if a male player takes his shirt off to change there’s whistles and woooooos from the females in the crowd. Have no issue with it, it’s a bit of fun. If it was a women and loads of blokes started cheering it would be called out everywhere. Not an issue with it myself, males and females have some different rules on acceptance and that’s fine and comes from historical things. Just found it thought provoking!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Absolutely this. My experiences of this is that I have rarely been around people who do this (it is really a friendship killer as far as I am concerned).

Years ago I was giving a bloke I work with a lift , he was leaning out the window yelling stuff and generally being a dick. After a warning or two I stopped my van and told him to get out. Prick!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Knowing what I know now about the bus incident, I'd like to think I'd intervene. [But I wasn't naive to start off with, two ex girlfriends had been the victims of stranger street rapes].

With your knowledge of the legal system, what do you think can be done to increase conviction rates, what about sentencing? Imho we don't need to make this yet another party political thread ... females have forever been assaulted by entitled perverts.
My thoughts are to encourage a person to report it asap. Many people feel dirty and want to shower as soon as they can but DNA is vital. The police did make strides with rape centres where victims are treated sympathetically, and medical examinations treated with dignity.

There is also now an acceptance that rape can occur within a relationship and in marriage, but only since 2003.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
That's good but did she have the confidence to put someone back in their box if they tried it?

Girls even suffer at school. One girl kept getting her bra strap pinged by a boy. She complained to the teacher, who ignored it. She told her parents who contacted the head and said they would go to the police and report the boy for sexual harassment.
The school head sat up and said, 'that's over the top'.

But strictly speaking, it is.
She went to an all girls school so she did not have to put up with d!ckhead teenage boys. Being in a queue for the train at falmer I some times over hear the foul mouthed little shits bragging about their conquests that probably never happened. If I ever heard anyone talk about my daughter like that, they wouldn't do it twice.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The vast majority of men know how to pick up on signals and know what it and isn’t acceptable in any given situation.

Sure we all misread signals now and again. There are ways to react appropriately when someone lets you know your advances are not welcome.

People who exhibit predatory behaviour KNOW their advances are not welcome. They KNOW it is not acceptable. This is why they select victims carefully, why they act covertly, why they cover up behaviours and deny, deny, deny.

It’s a world apart from making a bit of a bell of yourself by getting signals wrong.

A large part of my job is dealing with sexual predators and the victims of sexual predators.
It’s rife in Brighton on a weekend. We deal with Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) many times on any given patrol.

Spiking isn’t as common as people think but male predatory behaviour towards vulnerable females is very common.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The vast majority of men know how to pick up on signals and know what it and isn’t acceptable in any given situation.

Sure we all misread signals now and again. There are ways to react appropriately when someone lets you know your advances are not welcome.

People who exhibit predatory behaviour KNOW their advances are not welcome. They KNOW it is not acceptable. This is why they select victims carefully, why they act covertly, why they cover up behaviours and deny, deny, deny.

It’s a world apart from making a bit of a bell of yourself by getting signals wrong.

A large part of my job is dealing with sexual predators and the victims of sexual predators.
It’s rife in Brighton on a weekend. We deal with Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) many times on any given patrol.

Spiking isn’t as common as people think but male predatory behaviour towards vulnerable females is very common.

Exceptional post, covering the key issue.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Going back to the work situation, many bosses can't be bothered with the hassle of dealing with an employee who has been groped or with the groper. Even women bosses can be lazy in that respect.
That's the parents of the school situation went to the head with their serious allegation, because it forced the head to act.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here